This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Charcot-Leyden Crystals?

melgag21

melgag21 Newbie

Has anyone ever had a stool test show Charcot-Leyden crystals? Ova and parasites were negative. I haven't received results from my celiac workup yet, only the stool results. I had a biopsy and it showed inflammatory cells and intraepithelial lymphocytes and rare villi. This diagnosing process is taking longer than I like, in the meantime I'm in pain and misery! I have no idea if I am celiac or not, and neither do the doctors. The GI office I go to is not very helpful. Thanks for any advice!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Dixiebell Contributor

Hi melgag21.

I searched Charcot-Leyden crystals and found this:

Open Original Shared Link Charcot-Leyden crystals are formed from the breakdown of eosinophils and may be seen in the stool or sputum of patients with parasitic diseases. The crystals are slender and pointed and stain purplish-red in the trichrome stain, as shown in this image. These crystals can appear in a variety of sizes and only indicate an immune response, but the cause may or may not be a parasitic infection.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

What did they mean by 'rare villi'? If that means that most villi were blunted or absent that is consistent with celiac as are the other findings on the scope. Since you have had the scope if you have already had blood tests go ahead and give the diet a good strict try.

melgag21 Newbie

Hi! This forum is great! So much good information.

I had a colonoscopy and EGD 2 weeks ago. The small bowel biopsy states:

"Mild nonspecific chronic inflammatory changes with an increase in mixed inflammatory cells in the lamina propria and a few intraepithelial lymphocytes within the crypts and rare villi with good overall preservation of the villi."

WHAT?!? I'm so confused!

I am still waiting on the celiac bloodwork.

My stool sample was negative for ova and parasites but says there are Charcot-Leyden crystals in it.

My doctors office is....less than helpful.

I'm at a loss. Has anyone had results like these? Could it be celiac disease? My symptoms include- weight loss, diarrhea, whole body aches, fatigue, irritability, stomach pains...

Thanks so much!

melgag21 Newbie

I have no idea what they mean by rare villi. I am so confused! I just posted another thread with the exact terms they used. I hate waiting and not knowing.

Dixiebell- I found that same site. I teseted negative for parasites. I am just so confused and frustrated.

Thanks everyone!

:)

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Your issues could definately be celiac related. No matter what the test results are you should do a good strict trial of the diet after you are done testing. The changes you have that were found in the biopsy are consistent with celiac that has not yet progressed to full villi destruction.

melgag21 Newbie

I got a paper in the mail today from the GI. It said my celiac workup was negative. The doctor had said she would be shocked if it was negative. I don't go back until June! Should I go gluten free until then? Or no, in case they redo the tests? Should I try Enterolab? I had an abnormal small bowel biopsy and stool sample so I have no idea where to go now.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Roda Rising Star

Hi! This forum is great! So much good information.

I had a colonoscopy and EGD 2 weeks ago. The small bowel biopsy states:

"Mild nonspecific chronic inflammatory changes with an increase in mixed inflammatory cells in the lamina propria and a few intraepithelial lymphocytes within the crypts and rare villi with good overall preservation of the villi."

WHAT?!? I'm so confused!

The way I understand the report is that you have inflammatory changes/increased inflammatory cells in the lamina propria

and they found some intraepithelial lymphocytes (white blood cells) in the following two places: 1. crypts 2. villi (rare being just a few?)

Sounds like you have early changes consistant with celiac without the villi damage. If this is the case then consider yourself lucky to find out before the villi were destroyed. Give gluten free a try until your next appointment (you said you had blood work already) and see if it improves your symptoms.

Archived