This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Yellowtail Savignon Blanc Has Gluten?

MJ-S

MJ-S Contributor

So conversation in another thread about wine led me to do some poking around the web, and I found that the Yellowtail website lists if a wine is "vegan" or "gluten free". And the savignon blanc is *not* listed as gluten free!ohmy.gif One more thing to worry about.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

adab8ca Enthusiast

So conversation in another thread about wine led me to do some poking around the web, and I found that the Yellowtail website lists if a wine is "vegan" or "gluten free". And the savignon blanc is *not* listed as gluten free!ohmy.gif One more thing to worry about.

Is this the same wine?

Open Original Shared Link

Under wine/nutrition, they say that their wines ARE gluten free....

MJ-S Contributor

Is this the same wine?

Under wine/nutrition, they say that their wines ARE gluten free....

I can't get into the faq link. Once you enter the site you can click on each wine and see its nutritional info. They all list "gluten free" except the savignon blanc. So on the glass half full side, that seems to be only one that's a concern. No idea why.

Lisa Mentor

I can't get into the faq link. Once you enter the site you can click on each wine and see its nutritional info. They all list "gluten free" except the savignon blanc. So on the glass half full side, that seems to be only one that's a concern. No idea why.

I would think there is no need to worry. Wine is not subject to gluten. :D

Chiana Apprentice

While wine is naturally gluten-free, some of the refining additives may contain gluten. (Or who knows what for that matter.) My gent pointed out that isinglass is used in clarifying wine, and it's derived from the bladders of fish (sturgeons.) Other additives are derived from eggs, etc. They don't have to list their ingredients, and additives vary, so I'd stick with the stuff that says it's gluten-free, just in case.

sa1937 Community Regular

I would think there is no need to worry. Wine is not subject to gluten. :D

I don't worry about it either.

K8ling Enthusiast

I drink wine like it's going out of style but I've never had a reaction.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

butterfl8 Rookie

A recent post via Facebook from the ever knowledgable Shelley Case:

-Daisy

mbrookes Community Regular

Butterf8, I love the "birddog"!

MrMatchStick Newbie

Nooooooooo!!!!!! :) I prefer a blush anyway ;)

lovegrov Collaborator

Spock, the vast majority of us with celiac who have "experimented" have done so with no reaction whatsoever -- except when we over-experimented.

richard

rdunbar Explorer

don't they use wheat paste as a glue when making the wooden wine barrels??

if so, it stands to reason that trace amounts are in wine.

last time i tried a sulfite free white wine, it made me feel terrible. could be that alchohol is'nt for me.?

kareng Grand Master

Spock, the vast majority of us with celiac who have "experimented" have done so with no reaction whatsoever -- except when we over-experimented.

richard

:P

psawyer Proficient

All of us here have heard that tale many times, but nobody has presented a credible source to say that this actually leads to gluten in the wine. If you have one, please post it.

kareng Grand Master

Two drinks isn't over-experimenting. People should know that some distilled spirits, even in moderation, aren't safe for people with celiac.

I was just laughing at Richard's post, thinking "ain't that the truth!". No one said you, personally, over indulged.

Most, but not all, Celiacs, have no problem with distilled spirits. They may not work for you. It's good you figured it out.

modiddly16 Enthusiast

I've yet to see valid evidence that would make me not consume wine. Many people don't react well to it, but it doesn't mean its a celiac reaction.

And spock...depending on who you ask and how much you've eaten...two drinks very well could be over-expirimenting :)

Jestgar Rising Star

I have no problem with wine or distilled alcohols. I drink single malt scotch, so no chance of contamination through a cheap blend, and all the wines I've tried have been fine (barring that over-indulgence thing). If you, personally, react to something, then by all means remove it from your diet, but don't assume that everyone has the same response.

Scott Adams Grand Master

I agree with Peter, over the years this is one thing I've heard constantly--the gluten-in-wine theory...but then why haven't any ever tested positive for gluten? Tons of celiacs now use the gluten test strips, yet I've never heard of a wine testing positive for gluten. I've spoken to the owners at one of the biggest commercial gluten testing labs about this as well, and he's never seen it either. I also go to wineries regularly, and have seen them heat steaming the inside of new barrels...the water is near boiling, and they use a powerful steam power washer to do this. Do you think they'd want any contamination in their wine? Also, any material in the wine settles for at least a year before they bottle it, and is not used.

I've thought about doing a $500 challenge on Celiac.com for anyone who can find a commercially produced wine that tests positive...what do you think?

Scott

CarolinaKip Community Regular

I drink a few brands of white wines, and have not had a problem.

• 3 months later...
Lisa Mentor

I've thought about doing a $500 challenge on Celiac.com for anyone who can find a commercially produced wine that tests positive...what do you think?

Scott

Did you ever find anyone up to the challenge, Scott?

ElseB Contributor

According to this article, its not just the flour paste in the barrels that could be a problem. Wheat is used as a clarifying agent in wine. Its not clear whether it can end up in the finished product.

Lisa Mentor

According to this article, its not just the flour paste in the barrels that could be a problem. Wheat is used as a clarifying agent in wine. Its not clear whether it can end up in the finished product.

It's never been the least bit of concern to me, nor to any of the national celiac foundations/associations or research organizations.

.....just sayin' :D

sa1937 Community Regular

.....just sayin' I agree with Lisa.

psawyer Proficient

And I agree with Lisa and Sylvia. None of the major advocacy groups for celiac disease or gluten intolerance list wine as a concern. Even the notoriously over-cautious Open Original Shared Link lists wine as safe.

cap6 Enthusiast

last time i tried a sulfite free white wine, it made me feel terrible. could be that alchohol is'nt for me.?

Recently I was at a resort that hosted a vintner weekend of wine tasting. i spoke with the vintner who explained the wheat paste issue to me. He statement was that the higher quality wines do not use the wheat paste as they properly seal their kegs. It is the lesser quality (under $5) wines that "could" be a concern as they are the ones that would be more likely to use wheat paste to seal the cracks. He statement was "could be". He stated that he had not heard of gluten as being an issue but that he would not rule it out. Higher quality wines would not be an issue. Would anyone like to shared a bottle with me? :P :P

Archived