This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can't Afford Doctor

jbunds

jbunds Newbie

i have never actually been diagnosed with celiacs because i cant afford the tests and i dont have insurance, but i have talked to a lot of people that have it or is close to someone that does, and ive done a lot of research, and i stay away from the things i know my body doesnt like. i havent been able to eat wheat for about 4 1/2 years now, however beer has never bothered me until recently, about 5 1/2 months ago i had to stop drinking it because of the headaches, tiredness, and gut pains. it was a harsh realization to come to since i love beer, and i was always wondering about it but just kept goin with it cause it didnt ever seem to cause me problems until recently. the hardest part about this is that i work at a micro brewery, and my main concern is that if i actually have celiacs if just working there and being around the small amounts of malt and barley and wheat that could be in the air could cause damage? and also i have heard that if you "cheat" and cause damage that that could in turn cause you to have other food intolerances? i also heard that if this does happen you can eventually reintroduce the other foods back into your diet? i recently can no longer eat rice or dairy or eggs and its really hard to find things to eat!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Welcome to the board.

Yes, if you have damaged your small intestine with gluten you develop what is called leaky gut syndrome which can let partially digested molecules of food into the blood stream which the autoimmune system does not recognize as "self" and attacks. This sets up an intolerance of that food after repeated exposure, and will keep happening until you heal your leaky gut. This is done by a very strict gluten free diet, by avoiding those foods that you are reacting to, and for most of us taking a good probiotic which can be purchased from a health food store or vitamin shop - ask for help to make sure it doesn't contain gluten. Some people also take L-glutamine to heal their leaky guts.

It is best to avoid any food you have reacted to for 6-12 months before you try to reintroduce it to your diet. Your length of healing time may vary.

I don't know if you are directly handling the grains in the brewery. If you are you need to do a lot of handwashing. If not, it is not like a bakery where there are fine flour particles flying through the air, so you may be alright.

It sounds like, diet-wise, you need to become a meat, potatoes and veg man :D

jbunds Newbie

Welcome to the board.

Yes, if you have damaged your small intestine with gluten you develop what is called leaky gut syndrome which can let partially digested molecules of food into the blood stream which the autoimmune system does not recognize as "self" and attacks. This sets up an intolerance of that food after repeated exposure, and will keep happening until you heal your leaky gut. This is done by a very strict gluten free diet, by avoiding those foods that you are reacting to, and for most of us taking a good probiotic which can be purchased from a health food store or vitamin shop - ask for help to make sure it doesn't contain gluten. Some people also take L-glutamine to heal their leaky guts.

It is best to avoid any food you have reacted to for 6-12 months before you try to reintroduce it to your diet. Your length of healing time may vary.

I don't know if you are directly handling the grains in the brewery. If you are you need to do a lot of handwashing. If not, it is not like a bakery where there are fine flour particles flying through the air, so you may be alright.

It sounds like, diet-wise, you need to become a meat, potatoes and veg man :D

thanks so much! i would love to be able to eat rice again ha! i am guessing i did some damage by drinking beer. and its hard not to cheat when your around people that can eat whatever they want, but since the rice thing i have been very good and cant really think of a time i have cheated at all in about six months so i am going to just keep it really strict. i dont work directly with the grains, i just work in the front store so thats good i really like my job ha! thanks so much again!

mushroom Proficient

You're more than welcome. Oh, by the way, good news - there is gluten free beer :D (brewed from sorghum grain usually). Ask for Redbridge or Bard's Tale (I think it's called). There's also Green's but Redbridge seems to be the most popular.

jbunds Newbie

yes i have tried red bridge! its pretty good! but its just a little pricey, im used to getting beer for free haha! i did however start brewing my own hard apple cider a few months ago, and its really good too, and ive been experimenting with different juices, its fun!

chrissygirl0668 Rookie

hi

i love beer and woodchuck's apple cider beer. yuuuuummmy

however, i thought beer would be my hardest thing and for all you have to go thru with this disease, it's the easiest to eliminat that and kettle one lol

new to this and not digging it at allllll.... the gluten-free beers are mainly (to what I know and check out are lagers) tooo strong for me and major calories. have any insight. i can't imagine sitting on the beach and cannot pop back a couple

chrissygirl0668 Rookie

[you can eat rice, success rice and minute rice, totally ok for you to eat; im italian great cook (if i do say so myself) the gluten-free pasta are disgusting. the success rice and minute rice (which you can get anywhere and are so affordable vs. gluten-free disgusting rice) works. However, reading your posts..... i MISS MY BEER. BIG TIME. I GET IT...... BIGTIME. not looking forward to everyone at beach sucking down the beers. I also not digging gluten-free beers and calories. so i tried to do a little wine wine spritzer as well as rum. i can consume beer all day, no problems, drinking rum with diet coke all day. omg..... suckadoos

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jbunds Newbie

haha ya drinking liqour regularly really takes a toll! it sucks for sure! thats why i started brewing. i have no idea what the calorie content is for it though ha. but i am drinking less than i used to and that is always good even if its kinda boring some times haha. how is it that i could eat those two rices?? im intrigued!

Archived