This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Awful Taste In Mouth

collgwg

collgwg Contributor

omg i have this god awful salt taste in my mouth and i can not seem to get rid of it no matter what :(

is there such a thing as withdrawal and this may be one of the symptoms?

and what are the other symptoms i should look out for?

i am so new to all of this its all overwhelming today is day 1 :o

i went to the superstore last night and bought as much as i could with the money i had and my dh(dear husband(fly lady term) did his shopping and i am still standing in this section that i did not even knew existed and had no clue what to eat what to choose and freaking out over the prices, but i took a deep breath and bought few things,like cereal,tortillas,bread mix, natchos,soy beens,(look like green beens this is taking a big step for me as i DO NOT like veggies ) tried a recipe from on line that was ok but too greasy for my liking will have to tweek it another time lol

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Stop! Take a deep breath. Now jump up & down 5 times!

It doesn't have to say gluten free to be gluten free. Look on the " what's for dinner" thread and see what people eat. Ok....some of them are gourmet cooks & some of them seem to love Brussels sprouts and tofu. A lot of them ( us) just eat the same regular stuff from before. Leftover grilled chicken on salad. Chili. Steak & baked potatoes. BBQ pork and OreIda fries in the oven. Chicken tacos. Ice cream. I'm getting hungry!

I did make sure I had a pretty chain for my reading glasses when I went to the grocery. Some of the ingredients are really small. You can do it.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

It can be easiest to go with as much whole unprocessed food as you can for a bit. Fresh meats and chicken, rice, potatos, fruit and veggies are all going to be safe in their natural state. Some companies are really good at labeling, Kraft and Unilever are two of them. If you don't see gluten listed it is gluten free. For pasta I usually get Thai Kitchen rice noodles. They cook really fast and are not as expensive as some of the specialty gluten-free brands. It can be overwhelming at first but you will get the hang of it.

collgwg Contributor

thank you both for your insite it will be deffentally considered

im finding that it is so hard to follow this life style i went out to night and the women in the house thought it would be funny to replace my smokes with potato chips that are full of gluten lol whats more deadlier smokes or gluten lol both pretty near up there lol

and i took my dip that had no gluten and my gluten free corn chips and what did every one do but dip their gluten laden foods in my dip

they laughed at me when i told them now the dip is contanimated and said i was full of bull that gluten can not be transfored like that gurrr i wish they all knew how really hard this is

kareng Grand Master

im finding that it is so hard to follow this life style i went out to night and the women in the house thought it would be funny to replace my smokes with potato chips that are full of gluten lol whats more deadlier smokes or gluten lol both pretty near up there lol

and i took my dip that had no gluten and my gluten free corn chips and what did every one do but dip their gluten laden foods in my dip

they laughed at me when i told them now the dip is contanimated and said i was full of bull that gluten can not be transfored like that gurrr i wish they all knew how really hard this is

Ask them- have you seen toast crumbs in the jelly? Broken chips in the dip?

I have a hot cheesy dip I bring to things. I have a small oven safe bowl and the bigger oven safe bowl. I put some in each. I make a personal bag of chips and carrot sticks. Then I let them have at the big bag of chips & big bowl of dip. I have my nice private, safe bowl & chips.

Coinkey Apprentice

What you do is openly pick your nose in front of them, wipe it off on your shirt then stick your finger in the dip and say, "What... you said stuff can't be transferred in this manner. It's only a little bit of booger and I wiped it off, there's no contamination in the dip- go on... eat it!"

sa1937 Community Regular

What you do is openly pick your nose in front of them, wipe it off on your shirt then stick your finger in the dip and say, "What... you said stuff can't be transferred in this manner. It's only a little bit of booger and I wiped it off, there's no contamination in the dip- go on... eat it!"

Well that would certainly get your point across! :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

collgwg Contributor

thats too funny im sure that would get the point across

• 1 month later...
IrishHeart Veteran

AWESOME!!

I cannot wait to do this the next time my family gathers!!! :lol:

Diane-in-FL Explorer

These women are stupid and mean. Are they relatives or roommates? Can you avoid them? They don't get it and it appears that they don't care. You need support, not sabotage. Ergh! They need to come here and read what cc can do.

IrishHeart Veteran

These women are stupid and mean. Are they relatives or roommates? Can you avoid them? They don't get it and it appears that they don't care. You need support, not sabotage. Ergh! They need to come here and read what cc can do.

I agree!

jackay Enthusiast

Love it! I don't think I'd have the nerve to do it.

domesticactivist Collaborator

Did you eat pine nuts perchance? There is a thing called pine mouth that gives a metallic taste for a couple weeks.

I get a horrible taste in my mouth - I had chronic bad breath and the horrible taste until we'd been on GAPS for a while. Introducing foods in, I realized that it is directly related to cheese. My bad BO is also cheese. If I have a tiny amount of cheese I'm ok. But if I have a slice I'll wake up the next day with the AWFUL taste and bad BO, and they last a few days at least. (I'm fine with yogurt and haven't tried fresh milk or cream).

sb2178 Enthusiast

Brussels sprouts are awesome, unless they are frozen. (keep in mind, though, that I don't like tomatoes. Which is, according to many people, very weird.) And you can eat actual green beans. Edamame are pretty good, but green beans are just fine.

So, I kind of didn't have dinner today, but last night I had an egg and greens sandwich on gluten-free bread. Basic fried egg with mustard greens from my garden, a little mustard, two slices of bread. There was something else on my plate too... hmmm... oh, leftover asparagus and kidney beans. Pretty basic. I don't usually have bread, but I splurged at a gluten-free bakery Thursday. Normally, I'd have a baked potato/sweet potato with the above egg.

Couple of meals:

1. baked beans, rice, and veg (pick one, frozen is usually really easy)

2. egg, sweet potato, and veg

3. tuna salad, gluten-free crackers, and veg

4. pork chop, applesauce, and baked potato

If you're still eating dairy, drop it. Dairy gives a lot of people reflux, which can make your mouth taste weird.

Archived