This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Nature Valley

bridgetm

bridgetm Enthusiast

I've read in a few posts lately that Nature Valley has some bars labelled gluten-free, but I've looked at the almond crunch and sweet and salty packages and they have wheat in them. Was I looking at an old shipment? Are the gluten-free ones new?

I hope I can find the good ones: those would be a life saver.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

I've read in a few posts lately that Nature Valley has some bars labelled gluten-free, but I've looked at the almond crunch and sweet and salty packages and they have wheat in them. Was I looking at an old shipment? Are the gluten-free ones new?

The gluten-free Nature Valley bars are not the granola kind. The only one I've bought is called Almond Crunch (haven't seen the Peanut Crunch yet). They've been available for quite awile and are prominently marked gluten-free on the front of the package.

bridgetm Enthusiast

The gluten-free Nature Valley bars are not the granola kind. The only one I've bought is called Almond Crunch (haven't seen the Peanut Crunch yet). They've been available for quite awile and are prominently marked gluten-free on the front of the package.

That's the one I looked at. I'll try a different store today; CVS probably isn't the most reliable source.

AmandaD Community Regular

I've had them before - they're not very good though - I found them to be really dry!

sa1937 Community Regular

I've had them before - they're not very good though - I found them to be really dry!

Not to mention crunchy! But I do carry one in my purse so I'm never without something to eat.

bridgetm Enthusiast

Not to mention crunchy! But I do carry one in my purse so I'm never without something to eat.

I figure they'll be a nice change from the bars I've been eating: dried fruit and puffed rice will only carry you so far.

kareng Grand Master

I love these things. They are basically a variety of nuts with salt, stuck together with a sweet coating. Yum! Be careful if you have a loose filling! :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I love these things. They are basically a variety of nuts with salt, stuck together with a sweet coating. Yum! Be careful if you have a loose filling! :P

I was going to say the same thing! I broke a tooth eating these. They seem to either be really hard or really crumbly in my experience but they are tasty. Here's a blog entry that has pictures of the boxes so you know what to look for: Open Original Shared Link

I have never found the peanut ones, only the almond. If your stores don't carry these ask if they can get them. They are such a mainstream product most store should be willing to start carrying them. It can't hurt to ask anyway ;)

bridgetm Enthusiast

I was going to say the same thing! I broke a tooth eating these. They seem to either be really hard or really crumbly in my experience but they are tasty. Here's a blog entry that has pictures of the boxes so you know what to look for: Open Original Shared Link

I have never found the peanut ones, only the almond. If your stores don't carry these ask if they can get them. They are such a mainstream product most store should be willing to start carrying them. It can't hurt to ask anyway ;)

Thanks! Now I'm excited to go grocery shopping. Come to think of it, I'm a bit overdue for a trip to the dentist as well...

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Thanks! Now I'm excited to go grocery shopping. Come to think of it, I'm a bit overdue for a trip to the dentist as well...

LOL! I had to go to the dentist for the first time in 6 years when I was eating these and broke a tooth. I had just gotten insurance recently and was planning on going anyway, but had been putting it off...boy do I regret that! Fortunately I didn't have any cavities and the dentist could just patch my broken tooth (no root canal) but he did chide me for waiting so long to have a cleaning done. I won't do that again--I'm having regular cleanings twice a year from now on, especially now that I know that celaics are more prone to dental problems.

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

They are yummy! Kind Bars are a little less crunchy if you want that. Their yogurt covered fruit and nut bars are very addicting!!

Roda Rising Star

Love them. I even got my dad addicted to them who is not gluten free.

• 2 weeks later...
bridgetm Enthusiast

I finally found a box of the Almond Crunch at Target the other day. They are kind of dry and really hard, but this is my new favorite snack. Since they crumble so easily anyway I might start breaking the bars apart and adding them to trail mix. They'd be great with some chocolate chips and craisins :)

modiddly16 Enthusiast

They are good but they're so hard they hurt my teeth! But, beggers can't be choosers right?

bridgetm Enthusiast

But, beggers can't be choosers right?

I heard that from my mom a few times while we were shopping. The Target I went to only had the Almond Crunch flavor labeled gluten free. I picked it up and said "I heard there's at least one more gluten-free flavor; this looks good but I was hoping for more options." Her response: "Just be happy that they have this one box and that you're finally shopping in the mainstream snack aisle again. And they're cheap!"

Yes, ma'am.

Archived