This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How To Suggest Idea Of Going Gluten Free?

revenant

revenant Enthusiast

What is the best way to suggest for somebody to go gluten free without pushing too hard on it? (Which I tend to do!)

I now know a guy who has learning disabilities, speech impairment, anxiety, depression, asthma, ADHD, bipolar disorder, allergies, and is super super pale. He also tells me that things always go a lot slower than they actually are, so he talks extremely fast and mumbles in a way that reminds me of how I used to mumble before I went gluten free... His sister has an inflammatory condition called Iritis, as well.

So obviously I am very eager to recommend a gluten free diet to this person! And many other people I meet. What is a general way of phrasing the suggestion to go gluten free without making it sound like MY idea, making it sound more like it could be their idea?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

It kind of depends on whether or not he knows you eat gluten free. If he does not, you could start a general conversation about some reading you had been doing lately on the effects of diet in one's life, and how some diseases are being found to be associated with what people eat. You could mention sort of like diabetes where they have a sugar imbalance, he should be familiar with that one, only they are finding that other foods affect people in different ways. See how he responds and if he shows any interest you could maybe lead in that way.

aeb Newbie

A friend of mine who has celiac recommended that I get tested for gluten intolerance. She noticed that I was loosing weight and not going out with friends as much. This was in college. After she mentioned it to me, I already had an idea what it was from being friends with her but never thought that it could affect me. I did go to doctors and got the tests done. Many of my nutrient levels were low and there was no other reason for the weight loss. I tried what I call a simple diet, white rice and plain veggies and fruits and yogurt. I felt much better until I came home for summer break, and my mom made me a lovely whole wheat sandwich everyday for lunch at work. Back at school in the fall I started my gluten free diet again So yes, you should find a way to bring it up if possible, without getting to graphic, but don't expect immediate results or gratitude. I only truly went gluten free almost 8 or 9 months after she mentioned it to me. But I am extremely grateful that she took a chance and suggested the idea to me.

notme Experienced

if you figure it out, let me know!!!!!! since my dx, i have noticed other people's symptoms and suggested they get tested or try gluten free. they practically run away. especially my RELATIVES who probably have it....... i have a friend who is currently being tested for Everything Else - been diagnosed with IBS, diverticulitis, etc and is on several medications and seeing all kinds of doctors (but none of them have tested him for celiac) and completely ignores me when i suggest he might want to rule that out. argghhhhh!!!!!! he complains every day about how something or other has made him sick - but it's not the bread he ate it on or the pasta. EVERY. DAY.

Juliebove Rising Star

All you can do is suggest it. I know of several people that I think could have celiac. Either themselves or their kids. I just said something like... I heard or read that those symptoms could be celiac. You/they might want to try a gluten free diet. In some cases they said that was interesting but they all pretty much blew me off. So I gave up.

Roda Rising Star

if you figure it out, let me know!!!!!! since my dx, i have noticed other people's symptoms and suggested they get tested or try gluten free. they practically run away. especially my RELATIVES who probably have it....... i have a friend who is currently being tested for Everything Else - been diagnosed with IBS, diverticulitis, etc and is on several medications and seeing all kinds of doctors (but none of them have tested him for celiac) and completely ignores me when i suggest he might want to rule that out. argghhhhh!!!!!! he complains every day about how something or other has made him sick - but it's not the bread he ate it on or the pasta. EVERY. DAY.

This sounds like me. I see so many of my coworkers that could benefit from testing. They have so many things going on from: thyroid issue, diabetes, neuropathy, rheumatiod arthritis, fibromyalgia, reflux, colitis, IBS (don't get me started on what I think of that diagnosis), anemia, obesity, various autoimmune diseases etc...the list goes on. I also notice histories of patients we see at work and think to myself that they should, at the very least, be screened for celiac. Then there is my brother, who I know has it but does not want to even get tested because he would rather die than give up his beer and bread! I even would like to see my husband get screened for celiac too, but he is bull headed also and won't get tested. So frustrating!!!

Archived