This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mike's Hard Lemonade

Guest marshlakemom

Guest marshlakemom

I love to have a Mike's Hard Lemonade on a hot day, any concerns I should have????

Deb

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

I would have no first hand knowledge--7 years too young, lol, but I think I've read somewhere that it's not gluten-free.

mytummyhurts Contributor

Can you list the ingredients? That helps us that do not consume the product to help you. :)

terri Contributor

Here is the reply I received from Mike's Hard Lemonade.

Thank you for taking the time to contact mike's hard lemonade. Mike's products available in the US are lemon clear malt based ( fermented barley beer malt) beverages. In independent lab analysis mike's products do not contain any traces of gluten protein, however, our products are bottled in multiple sites that produce other malt beverages. We cannot guarantee complete absence of gluten contamination from other products run on the same equipment.

Take care, and keep on enjoying the good things in life,

Sincerely,

Deborah Poth

Consumer Relations Coordinator

Mike's Hard Lemonade, Inc.

dpoth@mikeshardlemonade.com

Beats me how it could be a femented barly beer malt and not have gluten unless they distill it. Sounds too risky for me.

Terri

mytummyhurts Contributor

Yeah, I wouldn't drink it from what they said.

jenvan Collaborator

yeah, that sounded strange... i am bummed, just cked out bailey's irish cream and trying to see if it is gluten-free. they said basically, probably is, but it might not be. arg! does anywhere here drink it still?

lovegrov Collaborator

Bailey's is doing the CYA dance. It's gluten-free. I know a number of people who drink it.

Mike's is made with barley malt -- I wouldn't touch it.

richard

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenvan Collaborator

sweet on bailey's. i figured it was a cya. i e-mailed to make sure my schnap's is gluten-free too so i can still make my favorite drink-buttery nipples :) !

swittenauer Enthusiast

So what can you have, if anything, as far as alcoholic beverages? I would assume it would be wine but what else?

2old4 Rookie

Kahlua & Amarula are gluten-free. :D

lovegrov Collaborator

Because of the distilling process, virtually every liquor is gluten-free.

richard

• 2 years later...
em-nyc-1234 Newbie
I love to have a Mike's Hard Lemonade on a hot day, any concerns I should have????

Deb

I just had two of them and I felt fine*. I believe they are distilled so it should be safe enough.

*UPDATE: Actually I'm not so sure I felt fine... sometimes it's hard to tell.

tarnalberry Community Regular
I just had two of them and I felt fine. I believe they are distilled so it should be safe enough.

the alcohol in one of the ingredients is gluten free due to distillation (if it's not corn derived), but the barley malt is added after the fact, which makes it unsafe.

tiffjake Enthusiast

Mikes is NOT gluten free. It has Barley Malt, and if I didn't think that made it unsafe, then I would just ask my stomach the last time I had one. 1/2 way through it I was running to the bathroom. I didn't even KNOW it was a Malt beverage. So for me, not safe. But I see that there is debate out there....

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Malt products are not gluten-free. Sorry, I miss hard lemonade too.

• 1 year later...
SFaughn78 Newbie
I just had two of them and I felt fine*. I believe they are distilled so it should be safe enough.

*UPDATE: Actually I'm not so sure I felt fine... sometimes it's hard to tell.

Have been Gluten Free for 2 weeks. Went out last night and had 2 mikes. Big mistake....... Nasty headaches(migraine, not hangover), nasty stomache problems too. :( Same issues as before I went gluten free. I didn't even think about it having gluten. I will never do that again. In just 2 weeks of being gluten free I have noticed a drastic difference in IBS, headaches and other issues I have had. Actually have a 8 year old, 40 lbs son that has been diagnosed as asthmatic, anemic and failure to thrive. Been referred o an endocrinologist, but think he might have celiacs. Also have a 13 year old autistic son and a 6 year old daughter that is lactose intolerant, but still having stomache issues(neg. for celiacs-blood test).

• 1 year later...
Pame Newbie

you can make your own with fresh lemonade and vodka, much tastier but not just a grab and drink drink. Always more prep for us

GFinDC Veteran

you can make your own with fresh lemonade and vodka, much tastier but not just a grab and drink drink. Always more prep for us

I think I saw some little gurlz selling that on the sidewalk last week. Silly gurlz... :D

sherrylynn Contributor

Just to warn ya. My daughter told me that american vodka is made out of grains. don't know what grain it is made out of. But, Russan vadka is still made out of potatoes. :P

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Just to warn ya. My daughter told me that american vodka is made out of grains. don't know what grain it is made out of. But, Russan vadka is still made out of potatoes. :P

Potato vodka will clearly say potato vodka on the label. There are some really good ones out there and they are usually top shelf brands. Not all of us have to avoid distilled gluten but I am someone who does.

psawyer Proficient

My daughter told me that american vodka is made out of grains. don't know what grain it is made out of.

Corn is common. Smirnoff, as just one example, is made from corn.

bridgetm Enthusiast

When I go out, I stick with rum and Coke or, depending on the bar, a whiskey 7. None of the bars around here serve gluten-free beer and Woodchuck is too sweet for me. Hard liquor is easy because if you have one or two favorite brands you're guaranteed to find at least one at every bar/restaurant.

Menic Apprentice

I believe I saw a Mike's "Lite" hard lemonade at the store. I didn't see any malts listed as the ingredients and believe it is gluten free. It's also only like 2% alchohol so I opted for good ol' Redbridge instead.

killernj13 Enthusiast

OK this is new to me. I was always under the impression in Canada it was gluten-free but in the US it was not. Now there is that statement from the company about the processing removing the gluten. This is causing great concern about this product since it is made from malt which is normally a no no.

I guess this will be left to the individual as we all know there are some you partake in distilled hard stuff and there are some that won't.

I still drink vodka and other stuff so I think personally I will give it a try.

This is also similar to that new Spanish beer that is claiming to have gluten but lower than the legal linit amount.

jeannieknits Rookie

I used to love these--drank them in the summer all the time and couldn't figure out why I had the worst stomach issues afterward.....

I consider them on my "not safe" list.

:(

Archived