• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
Haylsinator

Would You Eat Gluten-Free Baked Items From A Shared Bakery

Rate this topic

24 members have voted

1. 1. Would you eat a gluten free baked good made in a shared bakery?

• Yes
    • No
    • Possibly, after inquiring about and reviewing their processes

I'm just curious how many users would eat something that was made with gluten free ingredients if it was made in a bakery where they use wheat flour; We have a cupcakery around here with gluten-free options but they specialize in regular cupcakes.

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

I did the other day :) But the place I got it from has been around for ages and seems to understand about CC and making sure the cakes are 100 % gluten-free :)

Maybe. I guess i would ask them about how they are made. & like, look at how they store them in the store. like are they on the same tray with gluten ones. I went to a coffee shop with some gluten-free pastries but they are wrapped in clear plastic to keep them safe.

i was a baker for 4 years and a chef for over 20.

every few days, in a bakery, a thick layer of flour grows on every surface that you can write your name in w/ your finger. every shelf collects a layer of flour from just the airborne flour that settles.

it's everywhere. every time someone scoops some flour into a mixer, or fills a bin with flour, poof, a huge cloud of flour fills the room, and settles everywhere. if you want to eat something from that environment, good luck to you.

• Upvote 4

Absolutely not and, I don't even have a diagnosis. I won't anything out of a shared kitchen where flour isn't used much less where it is used. The only shared kitchen I would even consider would be BJ's or Outback because of how stringent they are when it comes to the issue of Celiac. However, I have a huge can't/won't eat list so that pretty much rules them out as well.

In my opinion, a shared bakery is just begging for trouble. I don't know how there wouldn't be a cross contamination situation.

• Upvote 1

Ads by Google:

Never. I don't care how careful they think they are, it's like the one person here said -- a layer of flour just collects everywhere. Think about how it was the last time you used regular flour. I remember letting it "poof" into the bowl too hard and a cloud of flour dust would rise up into the air. Now multiply that by umpteen cupcakes/cakes/whatever else made in a commercial bakery.... no way! :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

What scares me about seeing bakeries having "gluten-free options" is that I'm scared the staff really only thinks that using gluten-free flour is what makes something gluten-free.

I was talking with someone last week who owns a restaurant and she herself is gluten intolerant. She said that while she tries to educate her staff when it comes to preparing food for people who request gluten-free, she knows that they aren't always as careful as they should be and have made mistakes.

• Upvote 1

Ads by Google:

No way, no how. I can't even enter Panera Bread without getting sick. No way I would trust baked goods made in a shared kitchen.

There is one local bakery where I can eat. We speculate that there must be a family member with allergies because they are very allergy conscious. (They make limited gluten-free items and a variety of egg/dairy/nut free items.)

However, another shop gets me sick. I know based on their practices that I should not even try to eat their gluten-free cookies, but they also make fruit bars that are segragated. They must have that layer of flour floating around, though, because that was a bad idea.

Ads by Google: