This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do You Ever Just Not Care?

Janelson

Janelson Apprentice

<_< I was diagnoised with celiac disease about 3 months ago. I started failing out of my college courses because I missed too many days from being sick, my friends pretty much turned their back on me because I never felt like going out, My long think curly hair started falling out, and I hide from the world. Until the day my doctor finally said Janelle either you have tumors in your intestines or you have Celiac disease....I would rather have the tumors I think. The doctor told me I had celiac and then said "I dont know really anything about it so research it on the internet"...ha was not happy with what I found. They told me if I wanted wheat or glutten products that bad to just eat them every once in a while. Since I was diagnoised I have gained about 10 pounds and feel like I lost who I was! Lost what I had! Lost where I was going! Every bit of food I put in my mouth has a good chance of being posin to me...and sometimes I just dont care and I eat it. I almost got fired the other week because I was out sick from it. I use to be able to drink but now find that I get so sick from it...even gluten-free beverages. So many questions and so little answers! I hate the comments people make like ummmm this is good too bad you can never eat it again! My mother is down my throat constantly about seeing a nutrtionist...who can afford that! Many days my stomach bloats to the point that I look pregnant! How attractive! Some days I do fine with dealing with celiac disease but today is a bad day...I was sick all day at work so I bought my favorite salsa and chips to cheer me up...ha just read they have glutten in the salsa so I threw it out my bed room window. This celiac disease has taken everything away from me and I try to smile through it I really do but when you have to be held behind in college, almost get fired from your, lose your friends, and all your favorite foods...I cant help but feel hate!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

you are certainly entitled to feel angry. I think a lot of us went through a period where we were mad at the world... The gluten-free diet really truly isn't that bad. There are great Salsa's and chips that ARE gluten free, you just learn which brands are safe and which ones to avoid.

This site can be a wealth of information for you on what you CAN have. Focus on what you can have and not what you can't. There are lot's of fast food places that have gluten-free menus available on their websites. Outback Steakhouse is one restaurant you can walk right into and request a gluten-free menu... more and more companies and places are beginning to take notice of the Celiac community. More and more products are being developed to satisfy our cravings...

Don't give up :D I know it's really hard. After my dx my first trip to a regular grocery store was a nightmare. I cried the entire time I was there because all of my favorite foods had gluten in them. I've since found that a lot of times, just by switching brands, I can find good gluten free foods that are normal mainstream foods.

Oh and you know it's not safe to eat gluten containing foods if you want them bad enough. It's bad enough when we get accidentally glutened, imagine how mad at yourself you will be when you know you did it on purpose because you just didn't care.

What got me being more careful was reminding myself that foods with gluten ARE poison and I don't want to kill myself... do I?

Jnkmnky Collaborator

You should take care to maintain your new diet. For one thing, it's not that difficult once you've taken some time to find out what you can eat. Dedicate a couple of hours tonight to go through the Parents of kids w/celiac section of this message board. There are lots of great posts telling newbies what they can eat....did you know Post Fruitty Pebbles and Cocoa Pebbles are gluten free~ You can find all the food help you need right here.

The other reason to stick with the diet and accept it is that you run the risk of developing some awful, serious, painful conditions if you continue to eat gluten. Don't resent the newly dx you. I guess this is a "stage" of acceptance that is normal, but try to power through it for your own sake.

mytummyhurts Contributor

Amy's brand of salsa is gluten free and really yummy. I like it more now than regular salsas. Many tortilla chips are gluten-free, I eat Santitas. This is actually one of my favorite snacks right now.

I totally understand that you are angry. Like nini said, many of us have felt that way and still do at times. You will get used to it though and find more and more things that you can eat. It took me awhile to totally stop eating things with gluten, probably a few months and then one day I just realized that I hadn't eaten anything with gluten in a couple weeks and I'd hardly even noticed. It's easier to phase things out. Like start with not eating sandwiches, pizza, spaghetti (except gluten-free kinds!) and the obvious things and then move to disecting every ingredients in things that are not that obvious, call companies, research on the internet, etc and then start checking things like lotion, shampoos and medications to make sure they are gluten-free too.

Definitely do not go off the diet or cheat. If you do you can cause serious damage and you may actually get those tumors you wish you had. (Cancer risks goes way up when you do not eat gluten-free.) Just remember celiac disease is one of the few that can totally be cured with diet alone.

Janelson Apprentice

I feel like mainly I was lied to. I trusted my doctor and he thought that it was okay to eat once in awhile so I did. I thought I could trust what they said. In the mean time of doing that I got sicker and things in my life became harder to obtain. Before I knew it I was use to that diet. Until litteraly the day....not to long ago even.....but the day I came on this site and people were even switching there shampoo...What??? This whole time I have been feeding myself "posin" because the doctors said that it would be fine. Why is it that all of you patients seem to know more than your doctors. Now I have to REALLY get use to this gluten-free diet in the meantime!!

judy05 Apprentice
I feel like mainly I was lied to. I trusted my doctor and he thought that it was okay to eat once in awhile so I did. I thought I could trust what they said. In the mean time of doing that I got sicker and things in my life became harder to obtain. Before I knew it I was use to that diet. Until litteraly the day....not to long ago even.....but the day I came on this site and people were even switching there shampoo...What??? This whole time I have been feeding myself "posin" because the doctors said that it would be fine. Why is it that all of you patients seem to know more than your doctors. Now I have to REALLY get use to this gluten-free diet in the meantime!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Doctors don't know. In medical school they have been taught that this disease is very rare. My own physician sends all of his digestive problem patients to a GI doc.

He's not interested in screening patients. Forget about them knowing about gluten-free foods and drugs. My GI doc doesn't know what meds are gluten-free. He also wants me to eat wheat because I don't have the gene for Celiac. Keep coming here, you'll learn what you need to know!

namnammo Newbie

I was born with celiac. Suckage. <_< but hey I didn't know post makes glutten free cereal! :D Store like Mom's Bulk Food and Nutters hove gluten free foods.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Hennessey Rookie

<_<  I was diagnoised with celiac disease about 3 months ago. I started failing out of my college courses because I missed too many days from being sick, my friends pretty much turned their back on me because I never felt like going out, My long think curly hair started falling out, and I hide from the world. Until the day my doctor finally said Janelle either you have tumors in your intestines or you have Celiac disease....I would rather have the tumors I think. The doctor told me I had celiac and then said "I dont know really anything about it so research it on the internet"...ha was not happy with what I found. They told me if I wanted wheat or glutten products that bad to just eat them every once in a while. Since I was diagnoised I have gained about 10 pounds and feel like I lost who I was! Lost what I had! Lost where I was going! Every bit of food I put in my mouth has a good chance of being posin to me...and sometimes I just dont care and I eat it. I almost got fired the other week because I was out sick from it. I use to be able to drink but now find that I get so sick from it...even gluten-free beverages. So many questions and so little answers! I hate the comments people make like ummmm this is good too bad you can never eat it again! My mother is down my throat constantly about seeing a nutrtionist...who can afford that! Many days my stomach bloats to the point that I look pregnant! How attractive! Some days I do fine with dealing with celiac disease but today is a bad day...I was sick all day at work so I bought my favorite salsa and chips to cheer me up...ha just read they have glutten in the salsa so I threw it out my bed room window. This celiac disease has taken everything away from me and I try to smile through it I really do but when you have to be held behind in college, almost get fired from your, lose your friends, and all your favorite foods...I cant help but feel hate!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

I don't have it, but my son does. It is eally hard to deal with at first and very frustrating. I found peapod.com helped out, you can go online and look at every item and it shows the food ingredients so you don't have to spend hours in the store reading, you can do all the research before you shop. My son is still a baby, but I have already found some stuff he can have for snacks as he gets older like Fritos, and certain chips like lays classic, and ruffles. You have to read each kind because certain ones have different things in it. My son has a ton of other allergies like soy, dairy, eggs, wheat.....so it is hard. You'll do ok once you know what you can have! Good luck and take care.

Guest mlwaller

I think food becomes overbearing when you are trying to eat within all these set limits. Do you have any other food restrictions that you know of? My quality of life improved when I stopped trying to change my diet and started substituting. Sounds redundant I know but there really is a difference. Instead of thinking "what can I eat?" think "what do I want to eat?" Finding a way to eat like you used to *without the gluten* will at least make one aspect of your life more normal. I am also a college student and whenever I make gluten-free pizza it makes me feel *normal* again.

As for your friends, this is a great test to find out which of your pals are really there for you. Adjusting to this lifestyle is hard, even for them. They know even less about the disease than you, and they might be having a hard time bringing it up. Maybe take some time to talk about what's hard for you and what you need from them. Remember to mention that you might not be as good of a friend right now, but you will try your best.

If you ever need a gluten-free friend, feel free to email me, good luck and just know that this is the toughest time. :)

jenvan Collaborator

Janelson-

We know it can be very hard, but after you are over the initial hump, things will get easier. I would highly recommend you read "wheat free, worry free" by Danna Korn. this book will help 'set the record straight' for you about what celiac and the gluten-free diet is all about. it is a great resource. you can buy/order it in most stores or get it on amazon .com.

i also recommend trying to find a support group in your area if there is one. i learned a ton from mine intially, like where to get gluten-free food locally, and they were an encouragement to me. that is important.

you will continue to learn, as most of us have, that you have to be your own advocate. most doctors are still poorly educated on this disease, so you need to be proactive, as you are right now, and search out the answers and resources on your own.

i'm sure your mother is just worried and trying to care for you ? a nutritionist can be a good idea, but many of us knew more than the nutritionists we were sent to ! your best resources are the the book i mentioned this site. have you cked out this post yet? have celiac3270 e-mail you the gluten-free food list, that will help. this site is another resource: Open Original Shared Link i ordered one of their gluten-free food lists that i keep on my palm pilot and goes with me wherever i am. some of the grocery stores like wild oats, whole foods and trader joes also have gluten-free food lists for the products in their stores.

give yourself time and try to be patient (it is hard!)...but celiac disease hasn't taken everything from you. if your friends fail or leave you because of celiac, then i can't help but think they were not true friends. the food--you can find some great replacements, and many items, like regular snickers, are gluten-free already. i am sorry about your job. perhaps you can discuss the situation with them, and gain some flexibility for a while? gaining weight is hard too, but they are ways to combat that and maintain where you'd like to be. you may have to change some of the foods you are eating. the sooner you are fiercely gluten-free, the sooner you will feel better. and many people on this site noticed a difference immediately. keep us updated and welcome !

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

I thought exactly like Megan. I tried to think about foods I would like to have and then I substituted them. And doing this I also found out that a lot of these foods actually are glutenfree already. Like the Nutella I eat, yummy :lol:

That the Fruity Pepples from Post are gluten-free I found out with a stupid co-incidence :rolleyes: . I went for groceries. And during the process of finding low fat stuff for my husband (He's starting to get a little belly there. My gluten-free cooking seems to get better :P ), I was in the cereal section. The more colorfull, the better with him. He's like a little kid sometimes :huh: . And before he knew me, he always bought these huge cereal baggies with these colorfull thingis in them, to save money. But that day I thought, why not change the fat content of what he already eats anyway? Most of the time he wont even notice :P . So I looked for other colorfull cereals and brands as well. In doing this I saw the Post Fruity Pebbles with 1/2 the sugar of regular cereal, so I just grabbed them. Without thinking what I was doing I felt into my habit of reading the labels (even though it wasn't for me). And before I knew it, I was through the label and read "KF Holdings". And I thought "Hold on a second, doesn't Kraft state all the wheat clearly on the label?" And then I read the label again to make sure I didn't miss something. This is so great. I didn't know, that the Cocoa Pebbles are glutenfree, too. Wow, this is awesome :o . I have to buy and try them immediately. They are cheaper then our glutenfree stuff for sure. I pay almost 6 Dollars for one of these gluten-free cereals in our health food store...

Well, the funny thing was. I went home then and I thought I have to shock my husband. So I sat down at the dining room table with the bag of Fruity Pebbles in front of me and a cereal bowl and waited for him to come home. As soon as he pulled into our driveway I started eating :D . When he came through the door he said hello and passed me to go into the bathroom. After he changed he came back out and stared at me with that look in his eyes "What's wrong with this picture?" And I smiled and stared back and said "What?" ;) . And he said "You can eat those???" and then I explained it to him. He thought it was great. Now when he comes home today and hears I can have the Cocoa Pebbles, too, he will be even more amazed...

Guest gfinnebraska

Janelson ~ I use to read new things on this board and then go home crying... it is better to know, and after a while, it does get easier. There are SO many yummy things to eat, and most everything I use to eat can be subed with a gluten-free copy. I know that doesn't help how you are feeling NOW, but at least you know we are here to help and listen. :) Please feel better...

anniej55 Apprentice

Hi,

I come from this from both sides. I was just diagnosed with celiac disease and can very VERY angry sometimes. I'm almost 50 and finally have money to go grocery shopping, buy what I want and not worry about the cost .... and now this? Who the hell thought this joke up? I call those times my "pity parties". Cause I'm definately feeling sorry for myself. And when I'm finally able to , I tap into how scared I was during all the testing, thinking it was cancer. And as someone said - it could be a whole lot worse. So have your angry party, you deserve it. But then try to move on ....

And yes, trying times do seem to bring out the worst in friends. If they' ve left you - they were NOT friends to begin with. Good riddance. I know it's difficult and i'm not demeaning college friendships, but a lot of them are based on all you being in the same dorm, class, etc.

I wish my daughter would be tested; she is a college student who has various medical problems. Ahem - she was fine until a bout of mono her senior year in high school. My guess is celiac disease, but she also has PCOS and a heart defect (just recently discovered) and is doctored out. Can't say I blame her.

Practical advice - you get a note from your doctor explaining your medical condition. You pull up articles about celiac disease - explaining the physical symptons, brain fog, etd - and go to the Dean of the College. And you ask for more time to finish the courses you had to miss. Most colleges are willing to work with students; they are not there to fail them. What they can do is change your failing grades to Incompletes and then you finish up the papers, etc, that fell by the wayside. At the very least it will be on record for the coming year. My daughter, sigh give me strength, refused to listen to me and has had her financial aid taken away. She went to the college yesterday and they are working with her on it - including changing a failing grade due to absences changed to an Incomplete, which will then be changed to a grade when she completes a paper.

Hope this helps. Hang in there. And I honestly do understand the anger and despair. I certainly still feel that way and the only reason why I haven't smashed all the glasses in the house is because I'd have to clean it up.

Please, let me know how you're doing. College is way too important to give up on.

Ann

watkinson Apprentice

Hi Janelson,

I'm so sorry that you are having such a hard time. For me, I was so desperately ill for soooo many years, (progressively getting worse as the years went on) that when I finally discovered that I had celiacs, I balled my eyes out. Not because I was sad that I had the disease, but because of overwhelming relief that I finally discovered what was wrong, and that best of all it was easily (yes, I said easily) managed. For every autoimmune disease there is no cure, and most have difficult ways that they have to manage the symptoms of their illness. Some even die from there disease (like MS). But for a celiac, we can "cure" ourselves with a gluten free diet.

I know it's overwhelming at first, but I promise it gets easier. And when you start to feel better you will be happy.

Can I suggest several things? First you sound so depressed. Please get on a good multi vitamin (gluten free of course) Take an extra B-complex (Trader Joes has a gluten-free one that you put under the tongue, that way it gets into your blood stream right away instead of having to go by way of the intestines.) Also...Please start taking Omega-3 fatty acids. Whole foods has a GFcaplet that is great. It is good for every system in the body, but especially for the brain. Studies show it relieves, even completely heals depression, bi-polar dissorder, ADD and ADHD, ect. .

Lastly, please search through this site and check out the pamphlets and booklets you can purchase. like the gluten-free dinning guide. It lists many restaurants throughout the country that have gluten-free menus. You can also purchase a booklet or a down load version of many mainstream grocery store items. You will be surprised as time goes by to discover all the regular stuff you can eat. if you google different companies you can get a list of all thier regular grocery store items that are gluten-free. For exapmle... Google _Oscar meyer gluten free, or Kraft gluten-free, nestle gluten-free, ect.) I keep a folder with me when I go to the grocery store.

Sorry this post is so long. One last thing, I promise. :) I have a daugther who is a celiac and goes to the University of Maryland. If you would like to, you can email me and I will give you her email address. She can help with lots of issues.

It does get better, I promise :D

Wendy

jenvan Collaborator

Open Original Shared Link

You can go here to get celiac3270 to send you the delphi list if you want.

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator
Open Original Shared Link
tamarasarbinoff Newbie

Thank you for the advice. I am so fed up with this diet, and how can you gain weight when you can't eat so many things that make you fat! Now I think I might be a little depressed from what you all said. Plus I forgot about the brain fog being a part of it.

I will try the B complex and multi vitamin. Thanks, Tammy

printmaker81 Rookie

Janelson,

College age is a rough time to find out you have something like celiac. Not only are you dealing with living on your own and the pressures of school, but my bet is if you're like me, there's not a whole lot of cash coming in and a whole lot going out to doctors and pharmacies and grocery stores. You really have to take a step back sometimes and remember that 1. you don't feel good plus this disease is known to affect mood and mental functioning 2. you're dealing with the news you have a chronic illness and a new lifestyle 3. you're body is going through changes that are tough even after going gluten-free. A lot of people go through sort of a withdrawal from gluten that feels worse than before. I know none of this is good news, but you're going through a lot physically, mentally, and emotionally. I think it is perfectly acceptible to do a little freaking out. I doubt anyone with Celiac could claim that they've never been angry or apathetic or depressed.

I was almost fired from one of my jobs. I waited tables at a fancy italian restaurant. Celiac weakened me so much that I couldn't carry trays with even just two plates on them. I dropped a tray of five plates with food for a really important client on night....After being in and out of the hospital and almost too weak to do much out of bed, I had to quit. When I wrote in to one of the forums here, someone told me they missed ten weeks of work. I also lost a solo show due to my illness (I'm an artist). I was so sick even the physical part of printmaking was impossible for me, the gallery pulled its invitation. That made me really depressed, not to mention it was a blow to a good source of income.

It takes a while to start feeling better, so it's tought to stick to the diet. Especially when you feel to bad to go to work or school. I was diagnosed back in May, and felt very much like you did. I would go to the grocery store and come home and cry. Even when I had just returned from the shopping I had nothing I wanted to eat (plus eating makes me nauseous). I felt like i was going to the store everyday for something I forgot or didn't know I needed or some kitchen tool or spice. While I still deal with a lot of the symptoms, I am starting to feel better and I am starting to get a hang of this whole diet. I even have been eating out some, and I have cut back my grocery store trips back to normal. It will get easier, and eventually it won't feel so restrictive. Eventually, you'll feel better, too. The bloating will go away and for me, my skin looks better than it ever has the glutten gave me acne and exema (sp?). I've started making art again, and I've even worked up to doing a little bit of yoga everyday. I try to remind myself how good I'll feel eventually. You will get there, and you'll feel better than you have maybe ever felt. Just try to keep things in perspective. So much is changing, and it is hard, don't let anyone tell you differently. Learning as much about the diet as you can helps. Wheat free worry free is a good book as many others have said. Good luck and hang in there!! It will get better. :D

BabySnooks Rookie
Thank you for the advice.  I am so fed up with this diet, and how can you gain weight when you can't eat so many things that make you fat!  Now I think I might be a little depressed from what you all said.  Plus I forgot about the brain fog being a part of it. 

I will try the B complex and multi vitamin.  Thanks, Tammy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tamara,

What is this "brain fog" I hear celiacs talking about? I am newly diagnosed, and I have something weird that happens to my head when I first get up from a sitting down position and walk. It goes away within a couple of seconds, but it is unlike anything I have ever felt before.

ianm Apprentice

What you are describing sounds more like vaso vagel syndrome (sp?). This is an abnormal adrenaline response caused by the blood in your body shifting when you get up. This causes your heart to beat inefficiently. I used to have this really bad before going gluten-free and it is no longer a problem.

Brain fog is basically the inability to concentrate. My head always felt like it was clamped in a vise and packed in an air tight box. Nothing could get in or out. Another way to describe it was like an out of body experience. I could see and hear everything that was going on around me but just could not connect with reality. That has gone away since going gluten-free and I don't miss it at all.

nurse diesel Newbie

Tammy,

Please take the advise the others have already given to heart...they know what they're talking about, and I promise you, we all felt the same at some point.

One thing I'd like to add about the missing work because of "the poops" or any other celiac disease GI complaint, is an FMLA. I urge everyone to check with their employer to see if they work the required hours to qualify for FMLA leave. I, too, was in danger of loosing my job, but my GI doc filled out the forms for an "intermittant" FMLA--meaning I can take a day here and there as needed for testing or illness, and my job can not penalize me for any of those absences. You parents of celiac disease kids out there need to apply, also....the "F" stands for "family" and your job will be protected, too, while you take care of the little one's medical needs.

Don't wait until you're sick as a dog and need time off...most companies will not "retro" the start date back to the previous/current illness, but will only begin coverage from the day the paperwork is approved. Check with you HR department for more info...and don't take "no" for an answer!!

Job security is the last thing we need to worry about, protect yourself, and take care of yourself...you deserve it ;)

BabySnooks Rookie
What you are describing sounds more like vaso vagel syndrome (sp?). This is an abnormal adrenaline response caused by the blood in your body shifting when you get up. This causes your heart to beat inefficiently. I used to have this really bad before going gluten-free and it is no longer a problem.

Brain fog is basically the inability to concentrate. My head always felt like it was clamped in a vise and packed in an air tight box. Nothing could get in or out. Another way to describe it was like an out of body experience. I could see and hear everything that was going on around me but just could not connect with reality. That has gone away since going gluten-free and I don't miss it at all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you ianm.

Guest BERNESES

Oh Tammy, I know how you feel. I was self-diagnosed this year after going through hell and I am in graduate school (not the same for sure but I at least understand the academic part). I don't really know how I made it through this past semester- some miracle for sure. I had multiple fights with professors and bosses that just don't "get" it. I finally just realized that some people are not going to and since I don't have a true diagnosis from a doctor, I was going to have to accomodate myself. But if you have a diagnosis, get a doctor's note and educate your professors. Not everyone will be helpful, or understanding- so talk to the ones who are and ask them for more accomodations/extensions if you can.

I fought like mad with my boss but finally, I just took matters into my own hands and talked to the people I worked with and people really helped me out.

It's not easy and it is a big learning curve, but it's sooooo worth it. So worth it. And you will be angry and have pity parties (I just had a HUGE one today- why me? why can't I have a normal life? why can't I be like everyone else?) But then I realized EVERYONE has their challenges and you've got to focus on what you can do/have. I expect I'' have plenty more days where I feel that way. I mourn my old "self" too butI figure if I follow this diet, which has improved my life so greatly, then that

'old self" will come shining through. Best, Beverly

nettiebeads Apprentice

<_<  I was diagnoised with celiac disease about 3 months ago. I started failing out of my college courses because I missed too many days from being sick, my friends pretty much turned their back on me because I never felt like going out, My long think curly hair started falling out, and I hide from the world. Until the day my doctor finally said Janelle either you have tumors in your intestines or you have Celiac disease....I would rather have the tumors I think. The doctor told me I had celiac and then said "I dont know really anything about it so research it on the internet"...ha was not happy with what I found. They told me if I wanted wheat or glutten products that bad to just eat them every once in a while. Since I was diagnoised I have gained about 10 pounds and feel like I lost who I was! Lost what I had! Lost where I was going! Every bit of food I put in my mouth has a good chance of being posin to me...and sometimes I just dont care and I eat it. I almost got fired the other week because I was out sick from it. I use to be able to drink but now find that I get so sick from it...even gluten-free beverages. So many questions and so little answers! I hate the comments people make like ummmm this is good too bad you can never eat it again! My mother is down my throat constantly about seeing a nutrtionist...who can afford that! Many days my stomach bloats to the point that I look pregnant! How attractive! Some days I do fine with dealing with celiac disease but today is a bad day...I was sick all day at work so I bought my favorite salsa and chips to cheer me up...ha just read they have glutten in the salsa so I threw it out my bed room window. This celiac disease has taken everything away from me and I try to smile through it I really do but when you have to be held behind in college, almost get fired from your, lose your friends, and all your favorite foods...I cant help but feel hate!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Things will get better. I promise. I can tell when I've been "poisoned" or gotten some cross-contamination. I feel like there's an inner rage that I find hard to control. The longer you go gluten-free, the better you will feel. I haven't had any tests, but I got lucky. I had been sick for six weeks and my gp took me off of all wheat. It was hard, but worth it when I started feeling better. And I used to love to bake!! I'm 46 now, was diagnosed 9 years ago. Just lately having this autoimmune disorder has started to bug me, so I've finally decided to join this chat room. I've found in reading the posts that it is a very individual disease and every one has to handle it the best way for them. I do know that I have to be on a high protein diet otherwise I feel like a zombie in a two ton body. Hang in there!

You are not alone.

Guest BellyTimber

I had the same feelings as you Janelle in March and it's taken months toworkthrough with these fantastic friends (and am still doing so) so I hope your internet connection possibilities hold out well.

For what it's worth I have to avoid caffeine also,

aNd I don't have a doctor diagnosis, so that has been a complication in terms of medical reports.

Very best wishes,

:rolleyes:

Archived