This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chronic Asthma

NoodleUnit

NoodleUnit Apprentice

Having just recently gone gluten-free, one of the most amazing end results has been a massive reduction in asthma problems. I've been a chronic asthmatic since the age of 4 or so. Had a few serious attacks when I was younger but learnt to manage it better as I got older. It's been part of my daily life for 36 years, but since going gluten-free nearly two months ago I've noticed I barely need to use my inhaler. I'm on the maximum dose of Ceretide but recently I'm finding that I'm not even using it daily, except on very high pollen days, which is a revelation to me.

It'll never go away completely imo, I still react to pollen ( especially this time of year in the UK ), I'm allergic to cats and dogs and all that jazz, so I'll never be without an inhaler in my pocket, but my goodness what a change! I'd love to know if this is a common theme among the forumites here.

I'd also be interested to find out if there is some direct link between celiac disease/GI and asthma, and a number of other irritant based complaints. For example, I have another complaint called keratoconus, which is a warping of the cornea. I'm lucky to have an expert in the field as my optician, and he told me that invariably people with Keratoconus are always asthmatic. they tend to have various sensitivities to irritants which other people might not display. Seems to me the if gluten has a part to play in my asthma then it may also have a part to play in the keratoconus.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I can't answer about the eye issue but my asthma is gone. Before diagnosis I was taking Singulair and had a rescue inhalor. I have only refilled my inhalor once since diagnosis and never have had to refill the Singulair. I also had allergies to just about everything, 98 out of 99 things tested for and most of those resolved. So you may find as time goes by that your allergies are milder also.

Asthma can be related to inflammation and since celiac can cause inflammation of just about any organ it can also be linked to asthma.

There was a study fairly recently that did show the link between asthma and celiac. If you do a search using those words you may be able to find the study.

Skylark Collaborator

My asthma has been better gluten-free, though I still need Singular.

nikky Contributor

intrestingly, scientists have recently discovered a strong link between the two conditions..

https://www.celiac.com/articles/22551/1/Celiac-Disease-Associated-with-Asthma-Risk/Page1.html

its all explained in the article and given what they have found, i wouldnt be at all suprised if your asthma was receeding thanks to your treatment

Karl Otto Explorer

I used to have symptoms that acted like asthma in a way. I kept going back and forward to the doctors to find out why. I found out that my glucose levels were out of control. Sometimes they were too high and, at other times they were too low.

It was when my blood glucose was too high or low that I would have smothering spells. It felt like, I was truly having an asthma attack. Once, I started being treated for this condition hypoglycemia, the smothering spells went away.

Have you ever been tested for Hypoglycemia (Low Blood Sugar) ? It is just a suggestion.........

Jenniferxgfx Contributor

I'm in the processed of getting testing/diagnosed, but I've definitely noticed my asthma is worse on nights when I've eaten wheat during the day or for dinner. I've had asthma since I was a baby, and it really impacted my life. It's improved since I went vegan (dairy and eggs were triggers ) but I never made the wheat connection till recently. I'm 33. (boy am I bummed no one made the food connection when I was a kid.)

I've also got environmental allergies, but I hope their severity will decrease with the disappearance of wheat.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I've also got environmental allergies, but I hope their severity will decrease with the disappearance of wheat.

Mine did substantially. Hopefully yours will also.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NoodleUnit Apprentice

That article is really interesting, and timely too! So much is falling into place now, not just for me but a lot of problems members of my family have had over the years.

• 2 weeks later...
JAMR Newbie

I dont have asthma but do have strong allergic reactions to house dust mite - these are often implicated as causes or triggers for asthma. My reaction to dust mite is very flu like, high fever and knocked-down-by-bus feeling for a day or two, followed by stuffed up sinus, pst nasal drip etc for a few weeks. I also have a generally weak immune system, cold urticaria (skin hives from exposure to cold), skin issues. The dust issues I have known about for the past 15 years (after reacting to them for around 25 when in suitable environments). Gluten and other food issues for the past 3 years.

My hives reaction to cold is hugely reduced when I get my diet right, but I have yet to do the tests required to test my reaction to dust mite ince going glutenfree (still keep the house relatively mite free). My assumption is that the gluten undermines many systems (my gut problems are relatively recent) and causes reactivity to many other things, possibly things like dust mite allergy, pollens etc with all its different manifestations like asthma. There is evidence linking gluten to cold urticaria, and since it definitley already directly causes issues with mucous membranes, skin etc. ONce I have stabilised my gluten and weeded out some of the other foods that are an issue (soy, lactose, occasional candida and fructose), I will test dust mite to be sure, but my money is on gluten being the root cause of most issues for me. Age certainlys play a factor, and at 53, I am less likely to recover all lost ground than if I had picked it up at 33.

Coinkey Apprentice

I haven't used my inhalers since I went gluten free, except for when I've picked up a cold. I am also a proud housemate to a cat (this can't so will never be owned...) where I used to be allergic to them - like swelling eyes, running nose and asthma attacks. Now - nothing, except when he licks my face after eating (to which I've changed his food to grain free and now absolutely nothing!)

NoodleUnit Apprentice

I haven't used my inhalers since I went gluten free, except for when I've picked up a cold. I am also a proud housemate to a cat (this can't so will never be owned...) where I used to be allergic to them - like swelling eyes, running nose and asthma attacks. Now - nothing, except when he licks my face after eating (to which I've changed his food to grain free and now absolutely nothing!)

Wow - I'd been wondering about cats. I've been horribly allergic to them all my life, hand in had with the asthma in fact. They always seemed to pick me ( the allergic one ) to sit on, which is why I've developed a deep distrust of them :)

Recently though, I've been thinking about keeping a cat, can't have a dog and my daughter keeps on begging for one. Might test the allergy out once I've been well for a few months.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Wow - I'd been wondering about cats. I've been horribly allergic to them all my life, hand in had with the asthma in fact. They always seemed to pick me ( the allergic one ) to sit on, which is why I've developed a deep distrust of them :)

Recently though, I've been thinking about keeping a cat, can't have a dog and my daughter keeps on begging for one. Might test the allergy out once I've been well for a few months.

Cats are great animals and hopefully you will be able to tolerate one someday soon. Talk to a vet and ask if they know of something that may help one be best tolerated. I think in some instances you can shampoo them and if done starting when they are young some may actually enjoy it. I don't know if there are special shampoos and such bet a vet would know.

My allergies to my cats and dog have gotten much better. I make sure that I keep my bedroom doors closed so those are cat free places. I also feed them grain free food so kitty kisses and gluten on their fur isn't an issue.

You might want to visit a shelter a few times and spend a bit of time with the kitties to see if you react badly. You might even find the perfect housemate while you do so. Don't discount the older kitties as they are much less likely to climb the curtains and get into a great deal of mischeif but many are still very playful.

Good luck.

Archived