This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Prilosec And Other Acid Inhibotors

prisjo

prisjo Newbie

I have celiac desease plus acid reflux. Recently I started experiencing symptoms of viatimin deficieny because I was taking a prescription of 40 mg prilosec prescribed by my dr. Has anyone experience this and if so what did you do. Also I would like to know the best brand of vitamins to take that are gluten free. If this has already been discussed just pooint me to the post as this is the first time I have posted anything on this site. Thanks

Prisjo

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Syl Rookie

Sorry to hear about the vitamin issues, in the same boat myself. Finding the root cause of the acid reflux and not just covering up the symptoms with medication is the most important thing you can do. Unfortunately the majority of conventional doctors will send you away with PPI's no matter what symptoms you're having so you need to be assertive and attempt to find out WHAT is causing the acid reflux so you can determine the right approach. As you've experienced yourself these drugs taken over the long haul will only add to your problems (unless you have an ulcer, which they can then help the healing process by stopping the acid.) There are many changes you can make like eating smaller meals, avoiding acidic foods like tomatoes, coffee, etc, and you could try taking a tablespoon of Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar diluted in water with every meal. This helps increase production of acid in the stomach which is what you want so that food is properly digested. The action of PPI's kills the stomach acid therefore leading to a low production, and the problems eventually snowball :(

As far as a good gluten free multi, I'd recommend Country Life Liquid Multi-vitamin. It's the one I was recommended when I first came on here 9 months ago and it was a huge help in regaining my energy and helping the healing process. It's very complete and if purchased online it's about 15-20 dollars which is good considering you'll get a month or so out of it.

cap6 Enthusiast

I have been on 2 Prilosec a day for over a year & half. Knowing how bad they can be for you over the long haul I have tried to wean off but every time the acid has become so much worse, feels like pure acid pouring down my throat. Three weeks ago I started to take pure liquid Aloe, 2 oz two x's a day and have weaned down to just one Prilosec a day. So far.... feeling good and no acid! Almost afraid to cheer too loudly but it may be working and I would rather be doing something natural. Figured i would give it a month before starting to wean off of the 1 Prilosec a day. Maybe Aloe would help you. The health food store suggested it to me.

prisjo Newbie

I have celiac desease plus acid reflux. Recently I started experiencing symptoms of viatimin deficieny because I was taking a prescription of 40 mg prilosec prescribed by my dr. Has anyone experience this and if so what did you do. Also I would like to know the best brand of vitamins to take that are gluten free. If this has already been discussed just pooint me to the post as this is the first time I have posted anything on this site. Thanks

Prisjo

Thanks Syl

I get alot of info about Celiac, but generally there are no specifics as to what really works. My doctor took a blood sample to see if I have B-12 deficientcy, but also schudled me an appointment with a neuro guy. I would have rather found out about the B-12 before going to another Dr who may or may not know about Celiac. Ah such is life.

prisjo Newbie

I have been on 2 Prilosec a day for over a year & half. Knowing how bad they can be for you over the long haul I have tried to wean off but every time the acid has become so much worse, feels like pure acid pouring down my throat. Three weeks ago I started to take pure liquid Aloe, 2 oz two x's a day and have weaned down to just one Prilosec a day. So far.... feeling good and no acid! Almost afraid to cheer too loudly but it may be working and I would rather be doing something natural. Figured i would give it a month before starting to wean off of the 1 Prilosec a day. Maybe Aloe would help you. The health food store suggested it to me.

Well Cap6 I have just invested in a supplement drink that is supposed to be loaded with good things for Celiacs, but it looks and tastes like sludge and is a funky green color. lol So I guess aloe is probably not something I would add right now but thanks for the input. P

Archived