• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Kicking In My Sleep

12 posts in this topic

Fire Fairy    26

It used to happen fairly frequently before I went gluten-free but honestly I can't remember it happening since the 1st few weeks gluten-free. I am now 7 months gluten-free and the past 2 nights I've woke myself up kicking my right leg uncontrollably. I'm guessing it's Restless Leg Syndrome. Any ideas? Should I be worried?

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Judy3    72

It used to happen fairly frequently before I went gluten-free but honestly I can't remember it happening since the 1st few weeks gluten-free. I am now 7 months gluten-free and the past 2 nights I've woke myself up kicking my right leg uncontrollably. I'm guessing it's Restless Leg Syndrome. Any ideas? Should I be worried?

I don't know if you need to be worried, it's more annoying than harmful I think. Don't know what causes it. I've had that same thing for my whole life and then was put on strong medication for it but now I'm off of that and doing fine thanks to a new chiropractor in my life. :) I can't contribute mine to gluten but who knows. The gluten seems to have affected everything else!!

Good Luck

• Upvote 1

kareng    1,992

I don't know what causes this. My hub has it occcasionally so he has read about it a little. Seems it could be a vitamin deficiency (potassium?) or a lack of exercise or s sypmtom of mental illness. For him, exercise seems to help.

• Upvote 1

My partner had this problem. She also improved gluten-free then it came back. We're pretty sure it's due to mg deficiency. It resolves when she remembers to take her concentrace mineral drops.

• Upvote 1

Ads by Google:

yorkieluv    6

It sounds like restless leg which can be caused by a low iron. I was having really bad restless leg and my iron was extremely low but once my iron started coming up it got better. My doctor is the one who said it can but not always can be because of a low iron.

Hope this helps!

• Upvote 1

Fire Fairy    26

Hmmm I think it is the Iron. At least it would make a lot of sense.

Thanks everyone.

Ads by Google:

Korwyn    81

Both soy and gluten will trigger my RLS. By the way, I know the author of your signature quote: my mother! :blink: :blink:

Ads by Google:

tarnalberry    314

It's worth being evaluated to see if it's actually restless leg, if you try other things and they don't help. I have RLS (though it's 90% ok right now). If it's a nutritional deficiency, it most often is low iron (but you do not want to supplement without checking your levels first - high iron is a problem too), but magnesium, calcium, and potassium often play a role. Potassium deficient leg cramping is different from RLS (feels different), but I'm not sure how I'd describe the senstaions if you haven't experienced them.

bartfull    565

This is going to sound crazy but please try it! Put a bar of soap under the bottom sheet near your legs. Your restless legs will rest! I heard about this on a show called "The People's Pharmacy" on National Public Radio. As a matter of fact, they have mentioned this topic several times and all of the folks who call in to the show, and even the hosts of the show, swear it works.