This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Soy Lecithin

DianeSeekingInfo

DianeSeekingInfo Rookie

Do those of you with soy intolerance also have a problem with "soy lecithin" in all cases? This ingredient seems to be in all chocolate except for Enjoy Life Bars and just curious of any of you who are normally sesitive to soy can tolerate this "soy lechithin" in small quantities? Thanks for any insight you might have.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Korwyn Explorer

I cannot tolerate soy lecithin either. It seemed to be a cumulative effect at first, but now I seem to react to it almost immediately, and if it is in tea, I react to it within minutes.

butterfl8 Rookie

If it is in tea, bad news. So far, I'm okay with chocolate coatings--so, very small amounts, in very limited doses, preferably spaced out.

-Daisy

alex11602 Collaborator

My daughter has a problem with all soy so she can't handle it in the chocolate, but we did just see that Lindt 90% dark cocoa has no dairy or soy in the ingredients. I loved that one beforehand so we will be trying it soon for the girls and I.

DianeSeekingInfo Rookie

My daughter has a problem with all soy so she can't handle it in the chocolate, but we did just see that Lindt 90% dark cocoa has no dairy or soy in the ingredients. I loved that one beforehand so we will be trying it soon for the girls and I.

Thanks so much for these replies. Very helpful and based on this will continue to avoid. Thanks for helping me deal with craving that could have had bad consequences and keep me motivated towards healthier way of life! Will look for this Lindt bar, to be sure. :) Thanks Again!

DianeSeekingInfo Rookie

News Flash! Wanted to make sure you knew this--when I went to check this bar out on (Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned) (I have to avoid 8 Main Allergens, not just wheat and soy)--I saw this and wated to let you know: "Safety Information

May contain traces of peanuts / tree nuts/soy bean/milk"

alex11602 Collaborator

News Flash! Wanted to make sure you knew this--when I went to check this bar out on (Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned) (I have to avoid 8 Main Allergens, not just wheat and soy)--I saw this and wated to let you know: "Safety Information

May contain traces of peanuts / tree nuts/soy bean/milk"

Thank you so much! I guess I will have to keep looking:( We are avoiding gluten, dairy, soy, eggs, fish, bananas, sweet potatoes and she can only tolerate little amounts of corn, so thank you again.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

DianeSeekingInfo Rookie

Thank you so much! I guess I will have to keep looking:( We are avoiding gluten, dairy, soy, eggs, fish, bananas, sweet potatoes and she can only tolerate little amounts of corn, so thank you again.

I can relate. It can be so hard to find good products that fit our needs. I found a "protein" bar called NuGo Free Dark Chocolate--it's gluten, soy and dairy free--they actually taste pretty good--decent chocolate flavor especially if you are otherwise limited and have a decent protein profile (I am vegan and have difficulty getting enough each day) they have some ohter flavors as well. I get them on Amazon. If you find any other products that are clean, please advise and I will do the same. Good luck! I feel for you!!!! :)

padma Newbie

I am convinced since tracking the foods that I react to, that there is a BIG difference between organic and non-organic. The two main differences are pesticide residues and GMO's. Pesticide residues create a reaction of their own. Some are neurotoxins, which are some of the worst for me. PAN is a data base to look up fruits and vegetables and find out what they are sprayed with in the US. If you click on each pesticide listed you can see the symptoms caused by them. If they are from out of the country they can very well have DDT on them. That includes chocolate and coffee. DDT's half life in the body is 50 years!

An example is bananas. My mouth breaks out almost immediately with a non-organic banana. If it is truly organic (like I can find in Hawaii grown in a friend's yard) my mouth doesn't break out. Lately, some of the organic bananas I bought at WF made my mouth break out, so don't think they are really organic. Same goes for chocolate. I can tolerate organic, but not non-organic. Also, chocolate is a nut and I think I react to most nuts, some worst than others.

GMO's are another issue. I don't have proof right now, but I have noticed that more people reacting to corn which is mostly GMO now. I don't think our digestive systems were created to handle these different molecules. The newest research on GMO's shows they are showing up in Mom's blood and baby's blood. Yikes. An example is I can eat organic corn tortillas, but react to non-organic ones. Weird. It could be the organic factory has no chance of cross contamination. I am hyper sensitive celiac.

For protein, I found a great organic sprouted brown rice powder that is highly bioavailable. I love the vanilla flavor. Super clean. Found it on the internet. Also found a new sprouted tofu by Wildwood for those who tolerate soy beans. I can't usually digest regular tofu, but this one is great. I just finished my second container of it and no reactions! Wow. The sprouting turns the soy bean into a vegetable which is much easier to digest. Then they process it into tofu. So it is a very different product. My blood tests were negative for soy allergies, so think my reactions were because of the digestibility of regular tofu.

padma Newbie

I cannot tolerate soy lecithin either. It seemed to be a cumulative effect at first, but now I seem to react to it almost immediately, and if it is in tea, I react to it within minutes.

Pacific Organic Foods makes a great tasting organic almond milk. Almonds are one of the heaviest sprayed crops and they are all irradiated now (new law), so organic is best. They list on the box "Gluten free". I have been drinking it for 2 or 3 months now with no reactions. Plus it is delicious and low in carbs. I switched from an organic soy milk because the soy milk had too many sugar carbs.

• 3 weeks later...
NoodleUnit Apprentice

I seem to be getting this too. Was a gradual build up at first, but now it's within half an hour, I generally have to go lie down for a while, my body starts to ache, neuro symptoms, weakness, headaches and irritability. Most of it goes fairly quickly, but I get left with the neuro stuff for days after. I just got done yesterday by a gluten-free crispbread in fact.

Archived