This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chex (gluten-free) And Lara Bars Finally At My Store In Canada!

love2travel

love2travel Mentor

I have never seen any Chex in Canada (let alone gluten-free Chex) and today while I was grocery shopping, there was a whole stack of gluten-free Chex - regular and honey something. Wow. We seem so behind the times here in Canada when it comes to gluten-free products! This store is also now stocking Lara Bars in 3 flavours! I had to buy a few to see what all the fuss is about, although they are $2 each. The lime one is quite good but to be quite honest not as spectacular as I had expected. Perhaps the other flavours will be better! :) I can see how they will come in handy for traveling, though (long drives, flights, airport layovers and so on).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFreeMO Proficient

Thats great!! Ive never had Lara Bars due to a nut allergy but I LOVE chex. My favorite are the rice chex. If you can find those, they make great marshmallow treats too!

Yup Apprentice

Costco has at least two different bars.....cheaper when buying in bulk.

Takala Enthusiast

The Lara bars are best slightly warmed from sitting in the car while you're busy doing something else. ;)

love2travel Mentor

Costco has at least two different bars.....cheaper when buying in bulk.

Good to know. We do not have a membership as the nearest Costco is 3 hours' drive from here but maybe it is something we should look into. Do they carry Udi products? Our bread is $7.49 per loaf here.

love2travel Mentor

The Lara bars are best slightly warmed from sitting in the car while you're busy doing something else. ;)

Glad to hear it! :P

anna34 Enthusiast

Yes! I've been waiting for the Chex!

Lara bars are at Costco in boxes of 12 bars (4 each of 3 flavours - apple, key lime, peanut butter). I don't remember the exact price for the box, but it's cheaper than buying them separately at the grocery store. They are located in the candy aisle for some reason.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

So, that happens to others, too? :P

love2travel Mentor

Yes! I've been waiting for the Chex!

Lara bars are at Costco in boxes of 12 bars (4 each of 3 flavours - apple, key lime, peanut butter). I don't remember the exact price for the box, but it's cheaper than buying them separately at the grocery store. They are located in the candy aisle for some reason.

Will definitely check it out when we make the next drive to the city.

ElseB Contributor

I live on LaraBars when I travel! My suitcase is always full of them. I buy them at Costco too.

Monklady123 Collaborator

Good to know. We do not have a membership as the nearest Costco is 3 hours' drive from here but maybe it is something we should look into. Do they carry Udi products? Our bread is $7.49 per loaf here.

My Costco doesn't have Udi's but they do carry Rudi's, frozen. Two loaves for $6.00 and something -- $6.89 maybe? -- which makes each one about as expensive as a loaf of regular bread! I was so thrilled when I discovered that!

love2travel Mentor

My Costco doesn't have Udi's but they do carry Rudi's, frozen. Two loaves for $6.00 and something -- $6.89 maybe? -- which makes each one about as expensive as a loaf of regular bread! I was so thrilled when I discovered that!

That is a very good price! I look forward to checking this out.

Had my Chex this morning and it is very good. It is definitely the best gluten-free cereal (by far) I have ever tried. I have never had Chex before - when we visit the US we generally don't have cereal! :P

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

I have never seen any Chex in Canada (let alone gluten-free Chex) and today while I was grocery shopping, there was a whole stack of gluten-free Chex - regular and honey something. Wow. We seem so behind the times here in Canada when it comes to gluten-free products! This store is also now stocking Lara Bars in 3 flavours! I had to buy a few to see what all the fuss is about, although they are $2 each. The lime one is quite good but to be quite honest not as spectacular as I had expected. Perhaps the other flavours will be better! :) I can see how they will come in handy for traveling, though (long drives, flights, airport layovers and so on).

Which store? I haven't seem them in Calgary yet.

love2travel Mentor

Super Store (Loblaws). Believe me, I was stunned to see them. I actually got tears in my eyes because I was that astounded! :) Maybe I should go and grab 20 boxes to ensure they continue selling them here! They were not in the regular cereal section nor where they in the gluten-free section - in between those aisles at the very end (teaser aisle). At $5.99 they are far cheaper than the gluten-free cereals in our store. Another bonus!

Nova Scotian Celiac Newbie

Superstore?! Really?! YAY!! I've been waiting for this! I will be on the hunt on Saturday! haha

Thanks for the update :)

Super Store (Loblaws). Believe me, I was stunned to see them. I actually got tears in my eyes because I was that astounded! :) Maybe I should go and grab 20 boxes to ensure they continue selling them here! They were not in the regular cereal section nor where they in the gluten-free section - in between those aisles at the very end (teaser aisle). At $5.99 they are far cheaper than the gluten-free cereals in our store. Another bonus!

love2travel Mentor

Superstore?! Really?! YAY!! I've been waiting for this! I will be on the hunt on Saturday! haha

Thanks for the update :)

It has been a long wait for news this good! At my celiac support group meeting last night someone mentioned that the Chex is also at WalMart!!!! Double YAY!

psawyer Proficient

My wife found them today in the regular cereal aisle at Loblaw Great Food here in Markham (suburb of Toronto).

:):)

love2travel Mentor

My wife found them today in the regular cereal aisle at Loblaw Great Food here in Markham (suburb of Toronto).

:):)

Awesome! In one of our flyers today they are on sale for $3.99 which is unheard of for gluten-free cereal so I am going to stock up like mad! :P

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

I found some Honey Nut Chex at Walmart yesterday. $4.97 for a 390g box. There were only a few boxes, so I grabbed two of them.

anna34 Enthusiast

I've only seen the Chex at Metro stores so far.

psawyer Proficient

For those in the Toronto area, I just saw Chex at Longo's, a family-owned 24-store regional chain.

Nova Scotian Celiac Newbie

For those in Atlantic Canada, Gluten Free Chex (rice or honey) are officially available at Atlantic Superstore :D $5.49 a box (yikes) but worth the treat!

Coinkey Apprentice

Chex has been spotted by someone on the Calgary Celiac Community Facebook group in Coop North Hill location. Also, Udi's at Safeway (Westbrook Mall at least) is on sale for 4.89- sale ends tomorrow (found them today and stocked up on a whole TWO LOAVES!)

Salem Rookie

I was so stunned when I was in IGA yesterday. There was a huge display!!!! I snapped a picture and posted it on facebook. I bought a teeny tiny box for 6.49 and tore it open as soon as I got home. I'm actually a little disappointed. It is soooo sweet! I'll try the rice ones next time, maybe they'll be a little less sweet. I'll be sure to stop in superstore and see if they have it for cheaper. Sadly the one near me does't have a "natural foods" aisle yet- the gluten free selection is very slim

• 3 weeks later...
xxkristin Apprentice

I got Honey Nut Chex yesterday at Sobeys. I'm so happy that they finally sell it in Canada. I've been waiting to try for so long after seeing all the hype about it on the forum. And I must say, it's absolutely amazing! I've eaten almost half the box already :)

Archived