• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease?  Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
stef_the_kicking_cuty

First Ever Dedicated Gluten-Free Deli

Rate this topic

Hi everybody,

I just found this article on glutenfreely. Just wanted to post it here, cause I think, it's awesome. There's a dedicated gluten free deli starting today at ACME supermarkets. They are around Philly and I don't know where else. I've looked at Harrisburg and surroundings and couldn't find any <_< , but at least Philly won't have this "deli insecurity" anymore. Here's the link: http://glutenfreeworks.com/blog/2011/06/15/dietz-watson-and-acme-partner-in-first-ever-dedicated-gluten-free-deli/

If any of the Philly peeps goes there, please let us know about your experience... good or bad. We want to know!

Thanks, Stef

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    April Hoke

• Topics

•   I will be visiting Spain(Barcelona) , France(Nice), Italy (Portofino) just in one week . I downloaded Schar's gluten free roads app but i only want to eat in dedicated restaurants. I'll carry gluten free sandwiches , juices just in case but it would be great to hear other's tips !
    • The whole stress thing is partially due to nutrient malabsorbation in celiacs,  B vitamins are a big culprit and magnesium is another. You mention dreams which is odd for people with a magnesium deficiency (most with this do not dream til they start supplementing from my observations) but she still may want to get it checked. I take 2 different caffeine free b vitamin supplements that are in liquid form you just measure them out and put them in a glass of juice/tea. Quite handy for a kid no? I use liquid Health Stress & Energy and Liquid Health Neurological Support 1 tbsp each 3 times a day, she could probably get by with 1tsp each 3 times a day, It will reduce her stress and anxiety. The place I am linking sells and will ship them to Canada no problem.
      https://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-8435-liquid-health-energy-stress-tangerine-orange-flavored-32-oz
      https://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-5291-liquid-health-neurologic-brain-health-supplement-pomegranate-berry-32-oz  
    • Thanks for the tips about lactose, cyclinglady. I will try using lactose enzymes and reduce her intake of milk just to be safe. Can't hurt. Ando yes, as far as I understand, the rest of the children will eventually get screened, I will ask for it for sure. I guess my husband and I should request screening too if she's diagnosed. I must say it's a rather mysterious disease, in how it manifests, if that is in fact what she has. She had just had almost 3 good weeks with only minor symptoms (pain and mild occasional nausea). Could "flare ups" be stress related? I have no idea why these symptoms started up to begin with, but it coincided with starting kindergarten and some stressful adjustment issues for her, so we actually believed her symptoms were caused by anxiety. That's why we consulted her pediatrician in the first place, and he ordered the celiac test so we could rule out all physical causes. In the past few weeks, we have set up a number of things to help her cope with stress better, and the GI symptoms also improved.  In last night's episode, she woke up apparently from a food related nightmare, probably because she was feeling ill, and she became so worked up and afraid that she was going to vomit, shaking and sobbing, screaming and talking about hating herself and feeling like she were dead. It was very bad. We finally managed to calm her with soothing songs and lullabies, making her laugh and generally distracting her from her discomfort, and finally the whole thing resolved itself without any vomiting. She also seemed to get a lot of relief from learning the acupressure technique, which I think has to do with the placebo effect and the feeling of having some control over her symptoms, more so than with the effectiveness of the technique. So, I am beginning to think there is a psychological component to this and that even if she does have celiac, she is not very symptomatic unless she is under stress. Does that sound like something you experienced prior to being diagnosed and eliminating gluten? PS, I am grateful that you folks have been so supportive and forthcoming with your advice and I am glad to know that I can find help here if she is diagnosed. 
    • Thanks for the replies! yeah, the doctor was also betting that it was likely a gluten reaction. Im currently on week 3 with legs improving a lot but hands getting much worse, so not sure where I stand haha. The doctor said if there isn't an improvement in 3 weeks to seek a rheumatologistt, so heres hoping xmas season ends well...   Thanks for all the replies!  
    • As was explained to me - Your gut heals and yes, you probably could eat gluten again and not feel any ill affect, for a while.  However....!  The damage is starting all over again.  Like picking a scab off of a sore.  Sort of a nasty comparison but accurate.  Celiac never goes away.    Google the banana babies.  Very interesting as it fully explains why celiac was once thought to be a childhood disease, 
  • Upcoming Events