This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Cocktails?

keithceliac2010

keithceliac2010 Rookie

Does anyone know what types of Vodka are Gluten free?? What other types of liquors are gluten free?? What about mixers?(orange juice, bloody mary mixers?? Having a party tonite for some gluten free guests. Thank you in advance for responses......

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

killernj13 Enthusiast

Does anyone know what types of Vodka are Gluten free?? What other types of liquors are gluten free?? What about mixers?(orange juice, bloody mary mixers?? Having a party tonite for some gluten free guests. Thank you in advance for responses......

On the front page of this site there is a listing of this.

As far as vodka goes it depends on your friend's tolerence level of gluten. There is an opinion that all vodka is gluten-free as long as it is distilled as this process removes the gluten. Some celiacs that are very sensitive do not agree with this opinion and will not have it.

Your best bet would be to get Chopin potato vodka as it is not made from any grains.

I don't think I have ever came across a fruit juice that has gluten in it so orange juice and cranberry should be fine. I usually just have vodka and 7UP / Sprite.

Not sure where you are located but if you go to the website Redbrigebeer.com there is a way to look up liquor stores that carry it if you wanted to get a gluten-free beer. It is an Anheneur Busch product so it is pretty availble in liquor stores.

gluten-free beers that are less available are Bards and New Grist.

kareng Grand Master

Other gluten-free Beers available in some areas:

St Peter's (not all are gluten-free so check)

Greene's

New Planet

Hard Ciders are gluten-free

A lot of the websites for liquor companies have a Facts area that will say "gluten free". Might check before heading to the store.

mbrookes Community Regular

Do read the ingredients on the Bloody Mary Mix. Zing-Zang (a really tasty one) IS NOT SAFE.

I have no problem with any distilled liqour except sour mash bourbons, but I don't think that is caused by gluten.

• 3 weeks later...
Marilyn R Community Regular

Blue Ice is a highly rated vodka made in the USA from Idaho taters.

Luksusowa is a triple distilled Polish pototo vodka.

I'm sipping on a potato vodka/watermelon slush with a fresh basil leaf and a drizzle of cranberry juice. At the moment, I can't think of anything I'd rather be drinking.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy Moly, that sounds good. How do you make it? I have watermelons and fresh basil. Vodka is a staple in my house!

• 2 weeks later...
Reba32 Rookie

I have never had any problems with distilled spirits, and I'm fairly sensitive. I drink rye whiskey and Absolut vodka pretty regularly and do not get any of my usual gut reactions to gluten. Articles right here on Celiac.com say that distilled liquors do not contain gluten, as well as pretty much any book I've ever read on the subject.

I have however had a reaction to ingredients in flavoured mixers, particularly a margarita mix. I read the ingredients and it did not specifically say any of the usual suspects, but after drinking said margarita, I was doubled over in pain for the remainder of the evening! I can't remember what brand it was, but it was something that can typically be found in the drinks aisle of any grocery store. I stay clear of any of those now, and buy Baja Bob's mixes. All gluten free and sugar free, and very very tasty! Everything from margarita to whiskey sour mix! :D

There are quite a few gluten free beers on the market too thankfully. I like New Grist, it is the most available where I live (Whitby ON),but other brands will be available in other areas. Cidars are nice too, I like Strongbow, but it tends to give me hiccups. :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

newyorkyankz Newbie

I would stay away from Grey Goose - From Them:

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding GREY GOOSE super-premium vodka. Please be advised that the alcohol used in processing the vodka contains 100% wheat grain. Therefore, GREY GOOSE vodka may contain trace amounts of gluten, because some of these ingredients are outsourced. The exact quantity is unknown.

If you still have questions, we suggest you contact your doctor as to whether or not you should consume such beverage products before consumption.

Sincerely,

Barbara Krupnick

Grey Goose

Consumer Services

newyorkyankz Newbie

Kettle 1's response:

Thank you for taking time to contact Ketel One. Your feedback is important to us.

In regard to your inquiry, please be advised that all pure (non-flavored) vodkas are considered to be gluten free due to their distillation process. However, we encourage you to contact your health care provider prior to the consumption of our products. We hope we were able to assist you with your inquiry.

Once again, thank you for contacting Ketel One.

Sincerely,

Meghann D.

Ketel One Consumer Representative

The Ketel and Grey Goose answers sound like legalese "cover your a**" answers. I have used both with no reaction.

Archived