This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Why Would Rice Chex Make My Mouth Burn?

kagm

kagm Newbie

I feel like even though it is gluten free, I am still feeling the pain of gluten food. When I eat bread my mouth burns and now when I eat rice products (not plain rice) like Rice Chex, Rice cakes, etc my mouth burns too. I know it's only been like 4 days since I went back on gluten free food after my endoscopy, but I still feel TERRIBLE. Does anyone have good starting places...recommended books or blogs that suggest different daily menus? Should I just do chicken, veggies, and fruit for a while?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

viviendoparajesus Apprentice

Since you are eating processed rice there can be cross contamination with gluten especially since chex makes wheat chex too. real rice would probably be better than the processed rice. though there is something to be said for avoiding all grains till you have time to heal. dr bateson-koch's book recommends a mostly raw diet and limiting grains, nuts, and beans since they have to be cooked. another issue with rice is you could be allergic. because of the damage gluten did to my gi tract i have food that is not digested and leaks out so i developed an allergy to rice, but i hope it will be ok once i am healed because i have read that properly digested food is rendered nonallergenic. another issue with rice is cross reactivity. i tested fine for rice but for yeast and buckwheat my body acts like it is gluten. i feel good eating veggies, chicken, fish, fruit, nuts, beans with limited amounts of grain. i am still trying to figure out what works best. i am not sure of a sight that suggest possible different daily menus. it really stinks that to get the positive lab requires exposure to and damage from gluten. best wishes!

psawyer Proficient

Wheat Chex are made in a different facility from the other Chex cereals. The facility where the gluten-free Chex products are made does not make any products which contain gluten.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Since you are eating processed rice there can be cross contamination with gluten especially since chex makes wheat chex too. real rice would probably be better than the processed rice. though there is something to be said for avoiding all grains till you have time to heal. dr bateson-koch's book recommends a mostly raw diet and limiting grains, nuts, and beans since they have to be cooked. another issue with rice is you could be allergic. because of the damage gluten did to my gi tract i have food that is not digested and leaks out so i developed an allergy to rice, but i hope it will be ok once i am healed because i have read that properly digested food is rendered nonallergenic. another issue with rice is cross reactivity. i tested fine for rice but for yeast and buckwheat my body acts like it is gluten. i feel good eating veggies, chicken, fish, fruit, nuts, beans with limited amounts of grain. i am still trying to figure out what works best. i am not sure of a sight that suggest possible different daily menus. it really stinks that to get the positive lab requires exposure to and damage from gluten. best wishes!

I thought the gluten-free Chex varieties were made in a separate facility from their gluten containing chex? Perhaps I am mistaken.

For the OP: perhaps you are sensitive to something else in the cereal like the BHT chemical used to preserve it. It never hurts to go all natural however and not eat processed foods. Especially in the beginning of your diet--it will speed your recovery.

IrishHeart Veteran

The gluten-free Chex may not be the problem.

My mouth/throat burns all the time. It can be caused by a B- vitamin deficiency (several B vitamins, in fact) due to malabsorption and may take some time to clear up. Several doctors--and some folks on here--told me this and I have read it in various articles. The mouth, throat, esophagus are all impacted by inflammation too--and may burn.

It could also be a reaction to preservatives-- as GFManna suggests. A whole foods diet works for many of us in the beginning. Also, many avoid dairy.

Unfortunately, healing the small intestine takes a long time--and various symptoms take longer to disappear. Sorry. I wish mine would "just go already" too!! :angry:

And even though some people can tolerate a raw food diet (as suggested above) others simply cannot digest raw veggies and/or fruits. I still cannot digest raw veggies.

Here's the thing---Everyone's GI tract is different and you will have to try various foods to see what works best for YOU.

Variety in your diet is good.

Since you asked...

A few good books for "newbies" are:

Living Gluten Free for Dummies--Danna Korn

The First Year / Celiac Disease--Jules Dowler Shepard

and if your insurance covers it, a nutritionist who understands celiac may be able to help you with a dietary plan.

Hang in there!

IrishHeart Veteran

I thought the gluten-free Chex varieties were made in a separate facility from their gluten containing chex? Perhaps I am mistaken.

For the OP: perhaps you are sensitive to something else in the cereal like the BHT chemical used to preserve it. It never hurts to go all natural however and not eat processed foods. Especially in the beginning of your diet--it will speed your recovery.

RE: the BHT

This guy has an opinion about the BHT they use as a preservative in the chex--as opposed to it being the gluten. see what you think.

http://gluten-free-b...ontroversy.html

• 3 weeks later...
LetGoddoit Newbie

I was wondering ... Even though some cereals say they are gluten free..does it mean they are wheat free?...Ive heard the mixed tocopheryl in cereals is made from wheat...anyone know?

I can eat a gluten free cereal and have symptoms for days and look on box and see the words mixec tocopheryl.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Coinkey Apprentice

I was wondering ... Even though some cereals say they are gluten free..does it mean they are wheat free?...Ive heard the mixed tocopheryl in cereals is made from wheat...anyone know?

I can eat a gluten free cereal and have symptoms for days and look on box and see the words mixec tocopheryl.

A quick internet search brings me to the conclusion that tocopherols can be derived from many different sources- the main ones being soy and wheat. Either your gluten-free cereal isn't truly gluten-free or you have a problem with soy derivatives as well.

T.H. Community Regular

Is the burning new? If it is, I'd start keeping a food journal and noting when this happens, and keep track of the ingredients. If you are in the United States, I believe corn is the most common source of tocopherols, actually, although I wouldn't swear to that. In the EU, I think wheat is a more common source.

The burning sounds a lot like an allergic reaction, yeah, but it could be to anything, honestly. Not usually a celiac reaction. And a lot of celiacs start reacting more to foods they were allergic to before, once they go gluten free.

That happened to me, where I had no idea I was allergic to foods - no burning mouth, no hives, nothing. Now, I get burning mouth with some foods, and pain and other issues with others that now test as an allergy.

Part of the problem can come if these are more prevalent in gluten free foods, or if they are less processed in gluten free foods (so more allergens are present). That was my case with sugar cane, which is less processed in most gluten free foods, and eating gluten free processed foods would cause me a lot more problems.

Potatoes, gums(guar, xanthan), corn, eggs, and sugar cane are typically more prevalent in gluten-free foods than in their gluten filled equivalents.

psawyer Proficient

If the tocopherols were derived from wheat, then that would have to be disclosed on the label as "wheat" under US federal law (FALCPA). Perhaps you have an issue with tocopherols that is not related to gluten.

LetGoddoit Newbie

Ive read so much about if its gluten free doesnt always mean wheat free.

That a product can be gluten free and have wheat in it as long as they take the gluten out of the wheat.

This is so confusing. Cause I only have a flare if I have had wheat. Mine are severe so I know when it happens..thats forsure.:((

color-me-confused Explorer

I've found Rice Chex to be a rather abrasive cereal. It needs a good soaking in milk otherwise I find it's very tough on the tongue and inner cheeks.

modiddly16 Enthusiast

I've never heard of a prodcut claiming to be gluten free that has wheat in it, do you have any examples? I have heard of a product that can claim to be wheat free but isn't gluten free but never the other way around.

Archived