This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Pregnancy Symptoms Or Birth Control Detox

JRS

JRS Rookie

I am having a moment. Ok a lot of moments lately. The short version is that I have Celiac, no functioning thyroid, and PCOS; AKA special olympics the fertility subdivision.

My husband and I have been trying to conceive for over 2 years now. We've been seeing a very successful infertility doctor. He seems to have gotten things on the right path and gave us the go ahead to get off the pill for the first time in a while (they determined after 14 mo or so of trying that being without the pill was causing further damage because of all the cysts on my ovaries). And yes I count all those months being ON THE PILL (doctors orders) as part of my trying to conceive time because that whole time my heart was aching for my body to stop this crap and allow a baby dangit... Anyway, we haven't told our friends and family we are off the pill and things seem to be going fine. I had one normal period off the pill. Now here comes the tricky part: my period is almost one week late and for the last 2.5-3 weeks I've been getting more and more symptoms. Now I know what you're thinking- you have PCOS, you just got off the pill, honey the chances of you being pregnant are less than 20% this soon after the pill AND who knows if you are even ovulating!!! But LISTEN!

I am going nuts. I know that all my reproductive organs are perfect at this point, at least to look at them. I had exploratory surgery and got the go ahead that things seem healthy to start trying, not 100% sure everything works but it at least appears healthy. Anyway, 2.5 or so weeks ago I start to get a bit tired. Every day a bit more tired. I have some nausea/queasiness/dizziness/vomiting (very minimal vomiting, more than heartburn/indigestion, but less than stomach flu). My appetite has picked up, but eating doesn't quite make me feel better. I have headaches. My emotions are up and down and up and down. I have gas. My veins are showing up darker and prouder than ever. Four days ago I started to get cramps and thought "Ooooh here it is...darn" but no - nothing happens from the cramps!! They are strange cramps that seem to get worse or better based on body position. My sex drive has increased. Just yesterday my back started to ache a bit. I can't lean forward while sitting without weird twinges or tightness. My nipples are super sensitive (but no pain). My tiredness eventually gave way to occasional insomnia. Sometimes, even if I sleep 10 hours the night before I HAVE TO-HAVE TO lay down around 12noon after lunch.

Please don't think I'm imagining things or letting my mind play tricks on me. I know that may be it, but please lie to me and tell me "Maybe you are pregnant but the tests are negative because it didn't implant?" Or "Maybe you are pregnant and 1 week late for period isn't enough for YOUR body to show on a home preg test.." I just need to know my body can GET PREGNANT. I don't need the second one to stick (I had a miscarriage approx 1.5 years ago that never showed positive on a pregnancy test but doc confirmed was likely 8 weeks pregnant) I just need a step further this time... Like a positive pregnancy test... or even the change to give my husband and I some hope.

I really wasn't stressing out much until today. I waited a few days (last test I took was on the day my period was due and it was negative) until today seeing as how it's almost a week late today.... I missed the morning pee so going by some research I did last night 4 hours in between bathroom breaks gives strong enough urine for a test... but still negative.

I haven't told ANYONE this and I am bursting with sadness and disappointment. My friends and family are so invested in my fertility that it's hard to talk to them anymore.. and I didn't want my husband to suspect that I would surprise him anyday with the good news!! I have it all planned out how I"d tell him... and he has it all planned out how we would tell our parents. Telling him I thought I was pregnant or giving any clues would only hinder the whole surprise element.

I know that most of these symptoms could simply be "coming down" off the control of the pill. It regulates hormones so well and having spent years (off and on) being on the pill I guess that my body could just be learning all over again... but what about the weird cramps and the muscle tightness in my lower abdomen. And the pain when I stretch? I guess it's possible that I have hormonal swinging issues with another ovarian cyst, but my cysts are very controlled right now with Metformin.

I know I am stressing here and it's not good for you and your period and maybe a baby and blah blah... that doesn't help. Knowing that doesn't help. How do I cope? When is it my turn? How long do I allow a glimmer of hope to ride out everyday until I give up and say I'm not pregnant for sure and it's just good old flipping PCOS rearing it's ugly head again. I really need someone who's been through PCOS and pregnancy and Celiac.... I may be asking alot but SOMEONE ANYONE PLEASE GIVE ADVICE OR SOOTHING WORDS!!!!! Something...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

First, I would stop telling everyone I know that I'm trying to get pregnant. That just puts more pressure on you. You can tell us, we won't see you at the store next week and ask if your pregnant yet.

Did you call the fertility doc? Maybe you could run in for a blood test. That would be more accurate & let you know if you are making normal levels of the pregnancy hormones if you are pregnant. I would think they would want to know that.

Of course, you know it could just be your hormones are messed up and need to regulate themselves.

I'm not going to say " calm down" because I remember when I was trying & you get so hopeful, excited & worried.

JRS Rookie

Thank you for responding so quickly... We don't tell people anymore and not telling family that we got the go ahead was a great choice, but while it relieved some pressure it also isolated me from most of my support group.

I hadn't thought about calling the doc, why didn't I think of that?! Thank you! I will call them. I hate all the time and money I've spent on thinking Im' pregnant. PCOS sucks it really does...

Any other advice? I'm a sponge right now. Good thing I am off right now, working and having a melt-down would be hard! :)

kareng Grand Master

Jocelyn,

I don't know much about the PCOS. I just know that I had been told I might get pregnant & loose them at 6-8 weeks. Fortunately, I have 2 big boys. We had decide if we wanted kids, we would get them either the "old fashion" way or adopt.

CAll that doc. That's why you pay him the big bucks!

• 1 month later...
anabananakins Explorer

Jocelyn, have you checked out some of the PCOS support groups? There are some wonderful women out there and they know so much about the PCOS side of things, especially trying to conceive. There is one I know called cysterworld

I have PCOS but I'm not trying to conceive so I don't know much about that side of things. But I totally agree, PCOS really sucks and I wish you all the best.

Archived