• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes

Soy Allergy- Your Honest Opinions?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I am just wondering your thoughts on this. I have been running on the assumption that I am gluten intolerant. All my tests were negative a year ago after being gluten free for 2 weeks. My symptoms did improve on a naturally gluten free diet. On some replacement foods my stomach had mild symptoms. When having gluten free deep fried foods I would have severely adverse reactions- fryers were confirmed absolutely contaminated with gluten so I figure it was a case of super contamination. However, recently I tried a gluten free soy beverage and had a massive week long reaction that seems to fit with a severe soy allergy based on some internet searches. I am wondering if maybe I have a soy allergy and not gluten intolerance at all because many gluten products have soy as well. Do you think I should try a purely gluten challenge (ie: shredded wheat (100% wheat)) to see if there is a reaction or not? I had another look at the ingredient list of all the items I tested out gluten on a year ago to see the reaction and they all had soy products in them as well.

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

I am just wondering your thoughts on this. I have been running on the assumption that I am gluten intolerant. All my tests were negative a year ago after being gluten free for 2 weeks. My symptoms did improve on a naturally gluten free diet. On some replacement foods my stomach had mild symptoms. When having gluten free deep fried foods I would have severely adverse reactions- fryers were confirmed absolutely contaminated with gluten so I figure it was a case of super contamination. However, recently I tried a gluten free soy beverage and had a massive week long reaction that seems to fit with a severe soy allergy based on some internet searches. I am wondering if maybe I have a soy allergy and not gluten intolerance at all because many gluten products have soy as well. Do you think I should try a purely gluten challenge (ie: shredded wheat (100% wheat)) to see if there is a reaction or not? I had another look at the ingredient list of all the items I tested out gluten on a year ago to see the reaction and they all had soy products in them as well.

I have celiac's and I have a intolerance to soy and nightshades .It is very possible to have more than one intolerance .

I had allergy testing and came back negative for an allergy to soy but my body reacts SEVERELY when I ingest soy.

You say you felt better after going gluten free. Instead of doing a gluten challenge why not do a soy challenge. Eliminate all soy for a period of time and then reintroduce soy to judge your reaction it.

I know it's more likely that I have both. But as I have never tested for soy allergy and my gluten tests came back negative I thought MAYBE as many gluten things have soy that it was the soy I was reacting to all along.

You say you felt better after going gluten free. Instead of doing a gluten challenge why not do a soy challenge. Eliminate all soy for a period of time and then reintroduce soy to judge your reaction it.

Having drank that one soy beverage and being sick for a week with previous similar episodes I believe soy is evil and I never want to touch it again. More so than gluten.

I agree Soy is evil :ph34r:

If your planing on doing a gluten challenge be sure all the soy is out of your diet first .

Ads by Google:

The "soy beverage" that you drank wouldn't happen to be Soy Dream would it? I ask because Soy Dream and Rice Dream products are labeled as "gluten free" but they actually have barley water in them that makes many of us very sick.

It was an Ensure High-Protein drink. Here is a link to the ingredient information. Ensure High Protein As far as I can tell, it is indeed gluten free and completely loaded with soy on top of soy. I'm working on ridding my kitchen of soy products. Not much so far has had to go. I'm dreading parting with my Chapman's Icecream. I'm keeping that until after my allergy tests. I'm going tomorrow to speak to a doctor about it and to see if there is anything else they can discover that I'm allergic to before I stumble upon it in a nasty manner like this soy. Then in a couple of weeks... maybe when the weather is gross again I'll try out some shredded wheat.

Ads by Google:

I have problems with any soy components chemically extracted from soybeans. I can eat straight soybeans without incident, and tofu and tempeh, but anything like "isolated soy protein" ends up causing me trouble.

It makes me sad that soy has become such an overly processed food and it's been put in everything (like this super proteinated wheat compared to the era before foo manufacturing) because I think that's what's causing a lot of intolerances.

Pardon my soapbox. I've just got so much anger for the Edible Foodlike Substance Industry. :/