This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free And Dairy Free

krystynycole

krystynycole Contributor

I'm going to my nephew's birthday party and my sister asked my to bring some sort of dessert that is both gluten and dairy free as one of the kids cannot have either. I know the gluten end as I myself as gluten-free, but anyone have any good and kid friendly desserts I could make accommodating both dairy and gluten free????

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mizzo Enthusiast

Is gelatin safe, Maybe a fancy Jello mold nicely decorated with candy etc...

Or sorbet ?

krystynycole Contributor

Jello is safe, but I was thinking more of a dessert like a gluten-free/df cupcake because he couldn't eat the cake. I know how to make good gluten-free cupcakes, but unsure how to make them dairy free.

Marilyn R Community Regular

Is she expecting you to make a gluten-free/Dairy Free Birthday Cake?

I'm pretty sure there are recipes like that on this site if you use the search engine. If not, "Living Without" has some recipes if you register.

If you have seedless watermelons available in your area, it could be cool to carve and decorate a watermelon. You may even be able to stick candles in the rind with those little plastic holders. Here's some fun ideas ...

Open Original Shared Link

krystynycole Contributor

Just found out Betty Crocker has a page devoted to making their gluten free mixes into dairy free mixes as well! I'm excited!!! Now to try them dairy free...

organicmama Contributor

It's easy and yummy. Just use Earth's Balance spread in place of the butter required and then buy or make chocolate frosting. You will have to read the frosting containers and look for fudge rather than milk chocolate. There were several options that were Gluten-free Casein-free.

Juliebove Rising Star

Just found out Betty Crocker has a page devoted to making their gluten free mixes into dairy free mixes as well! I'm excited!!! Now to try them dairy free...

I made the yellow cake for my daughter for my birthday. I used Nucoa margarine and also Ener-G egg replacer. Came out well. Have also made the brownies using coconut oil and egg replacer. Tried the cookies but they didn't come out so well. They tasted fine. They just sort of melted into one another.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

organicmama Contributor

The cookies were fine for us. I think if they're spreading, it helps to chill them a bit. I think the butter or replacement has to be softened (not melted) for that reason.

Of course now that I'm not doing soy, we've got to figure another way out :)

sa1937 Community Regular

Jules Shepard has a recipe on her blog for a cake (either white or chocolate) and she's big on substitutions. Open Original Shared Link While you may not have her flour, here's the recipe for Open Original Shared Link, which I think hers is based on.

Here's the link for Open Original Shared Link to give you some ideas from her for a boy's birthday.

krystynycole Contributor

Thanks all! I'm off to bake :)

sa1937 Community Regular

Thanks all! I'm off to bake :)

Let us know what you make. :D

kwylee Apprentice

My favorite gluten-free/DF/SF goodie is black bean brownies. If you've never tried this recipe from Living Without magazine, you'll be amazed at how wonderful they are. Don't be put off by black beans in dessert. Even if I could eat anything without trouble, I'd still be eating these instead of the ones with flour. They are the best brownies I've ever eaten.

Open Original Shared Link

One note: I use top these with ENJOY LIFE gluten-free/DF/SF chocolate chips. But even if you can't find them, they'll still be a hit.

krystynycole Contributor

Made the Betty Crocker chocolate cupcakes replacing butter for veggie shortening...mmmmmmm! They were delicious!

However, I am curious to try this black bean recipe in the future when I have some time--whenever that is!

Archived