This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Cooking For Non Celiac's

james-12

james-12 Newbie

ok i am a celiac and the rest of my family that are still living are not. i stay at home to take care of my mother and younger brother i,e do the cleaning and the cooking,

i question that i ask is if i use a pan to fry say sausages can i cook in the same oil or mix food ?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

ok i am a celiac and the rest of my family that are still living are not. i stay at home to take care of my mother and younger brother i,e do the cleaning and the cooking,

i question that i ask is if i use a pan to fry say sausages can i cook in the same oil or mix food ?

If you are cooking something with gluten for them, no you cannot use the same pan to make your food. Also if the pans you currently own are non-stick you will need to get new ones to use ONLY for gluten-free food. Gluten gets in the scratches of non-stick pans, cannot be cleaned out and then can contaminate the next thing you make. Cast iron is another one that cannot be safely shared with gltuen eaters. You can re-season a cast iron pan and make it gluten-free only but once you use glutne in it again its' unsafe. You will also want to look at replacing or getting gluten-free only cutting boards (if the ones you have are wood or plastic), collanders/pasta strainers (cleaning all the little holes can be impossible) and wooden spoons.

mommy3allergy Newbie

i my self and my daughter both are celiac and the rest of the family are not. i as well do most of the cooking and cleaning too. but when it comes to cooking none gluten free food in a pan then using the same pan to cook your food in the same oil you will get sick from the cross contamination from the none gluten free food. what i find is the best method to use is cook the gluten free food for everyone. that way you wont have to worry about getting cross contaminated. hope this helps you.

kitgordon Explorer

I do the cooking for my family, and I don't cook anything glutenous. If I can't eat it, I'm not making it, and if they want something else, they need to make it themselves, in their own separate pan, pot, toaster, whatever. And clean up after themselves, too. Mostly they don't want to be bothered, so they eat what I make.

Monael Apprentice

It really is tough on account of my son because he can have gluten. What I normally do is either he makes his own sandwiches, or cooks his own frozen pizza. If it is a pot of pasta, I will boil 2 separate pots of pasta. However, for the most part I don't cook a lot of gluten containing items because I don't have time to make different meals. For example, If I make pancakes, they are the gluten free pancakes. However, I will buy ready made gluten items such as bread, cookies or flour tortillas that he can use as he wishes. I don't touch them though.

Mummyto3 Contributor

Agreed, you shouldn't use same oil you used for gluten to cook gluten free food. Can't see the harm if its the other way round though.

lilu Rookie

Is there a particular reason you feel compelled to cook them glutenny food?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cap6 Enthusiast

I agree with kitgordon! If I cook (and I am the cook) it's my way. Eat your gluten food in a restaurant or prepare it yourself using only the counter on the right side of the sink. I have to be able to walk into the kitchen and know that I will be safe. Period. They aren't sick, I am. That sounds sort of mean but we have enough stress and worry about CC without having it in your own home.

violentlyserene Rookie

Is there a particular reason you feel compelled to cook them glutenny food?

I can't speak for the OP but I intend to keep a mixed kitchen for my husband and probably our children as well. It's going to be a bit of a pain but I don't see the need to take his favorite foods from him. Nothing I make from scratch will have gluten in it and he's happily agreed to that (it was his idea even) so it's just prepared frozen foods and in the football season, pizza hut. It also helps that we already mostly eat separate meals. Our schedules and tastes are so different it works much better this way.

Dave-KC Newbie

I have a small child who may have celiac (we don't have a definite diagnosis yet) and am wondering how to handle avoiding CC in the kitchen. She's a toddler at this point, so we're dealing with the food a toddler likes. My other daughter and both parents can have gluten, so it's only the one.

I would love and appreciate thoughts on how to handle the cooking for our little girl.

krystynycole Contributor

Something I learned to do is cook chicken in a plastic bag with any marinades or anything else to flavor. I put it a pot of boiling water. Make sure the top of the bag does not go into the water. Everything stays in the bag and I can cook something special for my husband once and awhile. He NEVER complains and is soooo caring about trying to help, but I know what he REALLY misses since we were married one and half years plus four years of dating before i went gluten-free. I feel this way there is no cc with the pots.

lilu Rookie

Dave_KC,

That must be really tough. My first instinct would be to just go Gluten Free at home all together. This way there would be no chance of cc at home. I know toddlers pick up everything, touch everything, and often then taste everything. It can be very challenging to keep her out of the gluten, and away from gluten contaminated surfaces, and keeping all surfaces as clean as they need to be to avoid incidental contact and ingestion. If this is not an option for your family, I have a couple of suggestions...

1) do all of her cooking on one weekend day. Thoroughly clean the kitchen surfaces first to minimize cc (wash it all down, then get a clean rag and give it a second cleaning), then prep all of her meals and treats for the week, and when done, package them in individual servings and freeze. This will help in 2 ways: First, you won't have to do separate cooking during the week, and Second, you won't have to worry about her food getting contaminated during meal prep times. I don't know about your house, but when I've got multiple dishes cooking at once, it's all too easy to let a bit of this get into that.

2) consider storing all gluten containing foods in a locked/ toddler-proofed lower cabinet. If you store things like flour up high, then flour dust can escape when getting it out/putting it back and settle on lower levels, contaminating surfaces that her wandering little hands will likely touch, followed by fingers in mouth.

3) if you are eating gluten foods, be sure to brush your teeth and wash your face and hands before kissing her, snuggling up to read a story, or doing bedtime rituals, etc.

Good luck! :)

Dave-KC Newbie

Thanks for the input lilu. Those are helpful suggestions, and if we get a positive diagnosis, will see about putting them in place.

Dave

come dance with me Enthusiast

You can cook yours first then theirs in the oil you have used for yours. It's the same if we have a bbq with meat eaters we'll cook our veg food first then they can contaminate it all they like with their animal flesh so long as it's all clean with no traces of anything when you start.

Taylor Paige Newbie

While I do not share the same allergies as my mother or brother, I always use a different set of pans when cooking gluten-free and gluten-filled foods. While some people believe that once the pans are clean it's safe to use, I think it depends upon your allergy severity. In fact, before getting a second set of pots and pans, my brother was getting very sick, even with gluten-free food. Upon switching to a new set of pots, he was no longer getting sick. If you chose to use the same pans however, you should always cook the gluten-free food before the gluten-filled food to avoid cross contamination. Hope this helped. Good luck with your cooking adventures!

cap6 Enthusiast

While I do not share the same allergies as my mother or brother, I always use a different set of pans when cooking gluten-free and gluten-filled foods. While some people believe that once the pans are clean it's safe to use, I think it depends upon your allergy severity. In fact, before getting a second set of pots and pans, my brother was getting very sick, even with gluten-free food. Upon switching to a new set of pots, he was no longer getting sick. If you chose to use the same pans however, you should always cook the gluten-free food before the gluten-filled food to avoid cross contamination. Hope this helped. Good luck with your cooking adventures!

Do you feel that running stuff through the dishwasher on super hot will make them safe for gluten free use? Just curious. I do have my own gluten-free pots & pans but our dishes are used by all but run through the dishwasher on pots & pans cycle. Just wonder how others feel

Archived