This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Any Other Basic Otc Products For Dh

EddieJP125

EddieJP125 Explorer

My DH is getting worse and i don't have to time to go to DERM. right now. Is there anythign that u guys have been using that has been working on healing and dealing with the itch?

and i know i've been gluten-free for 9 months but been still around on fingers and slowly spreading. Maybe from being a waiter touching gluten all day?

Thanks for the help

Eddie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

DH causes skin reactions to gluten as well and I would think being around gluten all day that it may have something to do with your reaction.Are all of your products like shampoos and soaps gluten free? That may be causing a problem if you haven't changed that.

lovegrov Collaborator

Most scientists who have studied DH and celiac do not believe that simply touching gluten triggers DH. Touching gluten has never triggered my DH, although I'm also not extremely sensitive.

It's more likely that if you're touching gluten all day, you're accidentally getting small amounts into your mouth. I'm sure it's impossible for you to wash your hands every time you touch it.

Some people have reported being soothed somewhat by anti-itch creams or aloe, but the only thing that will heal the sores is being gluten-free or taking dapsone.

richard

cdford Contributor

Since you are in and out of the kitchen all day, you may also be taking in some of the gluten just breathing the dust of the flours and spices. I react strongly anytime the stuff gets into my mucous membranes.

I do not use the dapsone, but I take warm baths with Shaklee's Basic H as a bubble bath. I also will add 1 tsp clorox to the water to kill any bacteria in the sores. I keep mine soft and moist using either Clindamycin gel from the dermatologist or a petrocarb gel from Watkins. When I am out of that, I just use Vaseline. Anything to keep them moist and not get that extra itch from the tightness and stretching. I keep Vistaril around for my true allergic reactions. It also seems to help some with the itch so Benedryl might.

frenchiemama Collaborator

I have never found an otc product that did anything for my DH. I can't take dapsone either, which stinks because it takes weeks for an accidental gluten outbreak to clear up. All I can do really is to use hand cream to keep the areas from drying out and cracking as they heal. I really like bee propylis cream for this, it seems to work much better than regular lotion.

• 2 weeks later...
casnco Enthusiast

I use gold bond anti itch cream. It keeps my skin moisturized and helps sooth the itch. It does have oatmeal in it but I have never had a bad reaction. Good Luck! Oh, and I have used benedryl at night with good results.

• 2 weeks later...
EddieJP125 Explorer

yea ur right i guess it was b/c i was touching Gluten all day...i had to take off a month from work and it was slowly clearing up, then just got back to work to have it itchin and burning and reacting again...well i got 4 months till i go to the Police Academy anyway...= )

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived