This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac And Strength Training

mhguitar4

mhguitar4 Newbie

Hey guys. long story short, i suspect that i have celiac disease because my sister and dad were just diagnosed and i have many of the same symptoms. im getting tested soon and i havent started a diet yet.

my question is this: can celiac disease seriously impair your strength and ability to gain strength/muscle? im 6'3" 180lbs but i have always been pitifully weak. i started strength training about 7 months ago and i have worked my squat up from about 90lbs to 170lbs (3 sets of 5). In addition to having a hard time gaining strength/weight and being extremely weak for my size, i also lose what i have gained incredibly quickly. i stopped lifting for about 3 week to let a sprained ankle heal, but remained moderately physically active for those weeks. i come back and ive lost about 3 pounds and i couldnt even put up 150lbs 2 times! i know that everyones body is different... but that amount of strength lost that quickly doesnt seem natural to me. and this seems to happen every time i stop lifting for a week or more.

i have really been putting forth alot of effort to try to get stronger... but this is starting to get very discouraging now. i have been lifting for months and i STILL cant squat my own weight. has anyone had a similar experience with celiac disease? i am really hoping that this improves once i start a diet.

mhguitar4 is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JillianLindsay Enthusiast

You bet it can!!! Celiac disease damages the lining of the stomach, which is responsible for absorbing nutrients from your food, including protein, Vitamin D, and carbs (among others), which are necessary for muscle building. It takes time, and a 100% gluten-free lifestyle (if you do, in fact, have celiac disease) for your body to heal.

Since going gluten-free 2 years ago, I have gained 10-15 lbs of muscle (I am still lean & athletic and all my clothes still fit lol)! Results will vary with each individual, but I think you're on the right track and there is definitely hope that if/when you go gluten-free, you will improve your strength. Even if your test is negative, you could always try the diet for 6 months to a year to see if it helps (there is such a thing as a false negative test).

Good luck :)

my question is this: can celiac disease seriously impair your strength and ability to gain strength/muscle? im 6'3" 180lbs but i have always been pitifully weak. i started strength training about 7 months ago and i have worked my squat up from about 90lbs to 170lbs (3 sets of 5). In addition to having a hard time gaining strength/weight and being extremely weak for my size, i also lose what i have gained incredibly quickly. i stopped lifting for about 3 week to let a sprained ankle heal, but remained moderately physically active for those weeks. i come back and ive lost about 3 pounds and i couldnt even put up 150lbs 2 times! i know that everyones body is different... but that amount of strength lost that quickly doesnt seem natural to me. and this seems to happen every time i stop lifting for a week or more.

i have really been putting forth alot of effort to try to get stronger... but this is starting to get very discouraging now. i have been lifting for months and i STILL cant squat my own weight. has anyone had a similar experience with celiac disease? i am really hoping that this improves once i start a diet.

chasbari Apprentice

Agreed with the above. When I was so messed up it would take me a month to recover from any attempt at working out. I had seriously trained for much of my life but was getting weaker and weaker. Now, after several years of healing, I recover faster than when I was much younger and have gained considerable strength. Strict gluten free has enabled much of this incredible response.

Greenling Newbie

Ditto to what the others have said. For the last several years, I was so frustrated by what I called "diminishing returns" from my workouts. I seemed to expend more effort, but get fewer gains (or even lose strength). Couldn't really understand it.

Now, I've been gluten-free for 15 weeks. I've only been able to really work out the last 3-4 weeks, but I see strength (re)gains very quickly (particularly in my core). Needless to say, I'm thrilled. :)

So, you'll probably see gains once you get the healing process started. But, please take it slow. It was hard for me to accept this too, but it's necessary. Your body's been through a lot. Slow and steady for a couple of weeks/months is worth it for the payoff in the long run. Good luck!!

GlutenGladi8or Apprentice
i am really hoping that this improves once i start a diet.

Congrats on figuring this out. Now, with the proper diet, get ready for take off! Your body will be absorbing the nutrients and protein at an accelerated rate.

Since you speak of diet above, the most crucial building block for muscle is the lean protein that you'll need with nearly every meal. Do a search on my various posts and you'll list after list of protein recommendations that I make.

Within time, you'll be lifting an incredible amount of weight... take it from me.

Welcome to post-Celiac success days!

• 4 months later...
Ellie84 Apprentice

It's so true :) In my student days tried to gain some muscle for improved metabolism, but the results were meager to say the least. After diagnosis and treatment I picked up weightlifting again and I'm getting in shape really quickly now. Before I suffered from dizzyness and lack of energy during training, that's nearly gone now. It's also easier to stick to a healthy lifestyle now, because my hunger binges are gone. I could eat for hours and hours and still be hungry.

• 1 month later...
GFdad0110 Apprentice

I have been gluten free my whole life and been working out for about 11 years (off and on) and I believe that the diet is very healthy. I have two older brothers and I'm bigger (muscles) then both. There is plenty of good nutritious gluten free grains out there. One of my favorite (probably the best grain for us in the world) is quinoa. i have a feeling you will notice quick results, both with energy, size and strength once you go gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived