• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Chicken And Cabbage

4 posts in this topic

aroche84    3

I am new to the Gluten Free world but my neighbor made this for me and it was sooooo good and I was instantly full!!!

Items needed:

1 head of cabbage

Butter

Olive Oil

Garlic

Chicken

Worcheshire (optional)

Take a head of cabbage and depending on how many people you are cooking for cut 1/4, 1/2, or the whole head into 1/4 inch thick strips and set aside.

Whether you choose to take the quick method and purchase a rotisseri chicken or if you want to cook your own chicken either way will work great. Shread the chicken and put aside in a bowl.

In a large saucepan put 2 pats of butter, a turn of the pan of evoo, and garlic (I usually put a tablespoon worth but depending on how much you like garlic you can play with this part)

Let the butter melt down and the garlic start to brown, then add the shredded cabbage make sure you turn it a few times to make sure it is coated with the oil/butter/garlic mixture. Salt and Pepper as you would like. I usually cook it on medium high and let it wilt down turning it every few minutes. When the cabbage has completely wilted down add the cooked chicken in and simmer for just a few more minutes.

*At this point you can add the worchesire if you want a little extra kick I usually add 1/4 tbsp per 1/4 head of cabbage!!!

I hope you enjoy this as much as I did, I serve it without anything else because it is so filling!!!!

• Upvote 1

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

freeatlast    60

Thanks, Ashley. This does look good. I have never thought about cooking cabbage that way. I may try it soon. Take care.

• Upvote 1

CarolinaKip    67

I've cooked cabbage this way before using both green and red cabbage. I've added onions and carrots to it before. This sounds like a recipe you can play around with.

• Upvote 1

this sounds good (and I don't think I have any/ too much problem with any of the ingredients), so I'm gonna have to try it!! Thanks for sharing! :D

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Jon baker

• Topics

• ....OK ADMIN just delete this one just another slap in the face article. " After demand from the neighborhood, they will soon add gluten-free options, though these crepes will be prepared on the same griddle, so they're intended for those with mild celiac disease or those who just prefer to eat gluten-free. " 

Sorry Numskull but "mild celiac" FFS there is no such thing, bloody residue smaller then crumbs and you get months of heighten antibodies an damage. This is very misleading and can lead to people newly diagnosed hurting themselves. NOW if you have no problem with gluten free oats, you can make a crepe like batter very easy, it is a bit fluffier like a hybrid between pancakes and crepes but try this one.
      I used to use gluten-free Harvest oat flour to make these but as I have adverse reactions to any kind of oats I gave this up. 50g Oat Flour
      1/4 tsp Salt
      1/2 tsp Cinnamon
      1 tbsp Maple syrup
      1/2 cup water
      2 tbsp applesauce
      Mix all ingredients togehter then let sit for 10mins for the it to thicken up before pouring in the pan. I used to cook them like pancakes but can be used for crepes due to the texture.
    • I’m so sorry you feel you must steal, that must be awful. The only thing I might consider is that it can become a habit, especially the self-justification part. Not that I'm recommending it right now for you , but with a ketogenic diet, the body goes into ketosis, not ketoacidosis, which is something that people with Type I diabetes can go into: in addition to their bodies burning fat, they also have insanely high levels of glucose in their blood. There’s no risk of ketoacidosis on a ketogenic diet, and in fact in the old days before insulin, one of the remedies was a ketogenic diet. It’s still often used for seizures as well. Plumbago
    • Hi Mary Anne, They take the skin biopsy from adjacent to a "lesion".  There are many possible symptoms of celiac disease.  DH is the skin rash symptom of celiac disease. It can take a year for itching to go away from what I've read.  Reducing iodine intake during symptoms may help reduce their duration.  You have to be gluten-free for symptoms to subside as DH is an immune reaction caused by celiac disease. A good place top start looking for knowledgable doctors is in a local support group.    
    • ... these crepes will be prepared on the same griddle, so they're intended for those with mild celiac disease or those who just prefer to eat gluten-free. View the full article
    • I have said since diagnosis that there are two places that I never want to be in for fear I would die from what they would feed me. One is a hospital and the other is jail. Fresh or frozen fruits, veggies, fresh meats, eggs, cheeses etc are also the same proce for us as for anyone who isn't celiac. The specialty gluten free baked goods and convience foods are more expensive but we should be eating minimal amounts of those to begin with anyway. I also have a very limited income so I go with eggs in many forms and Thai Kitchen rice noodles with various veggies and canned beans like Garbanzo (Chichi) for protein. Some schools have food banks for students. Check and see if your school has one. There may not be a lot you can eat there but there will be something. Most cities have a food bank or Catholic Charities (you don't have to be Catholic to use their services) that can help.  My local one is good about letting me know when they have safe foods. They also get a lot of fresh produce this time of year. Have you checked into getting food stamps? You can just sign up for those but not the other services and the process is easier if you are not applying for cash help. You mention having your roommates using your pans and silverware and then having to buy new. A good cleaning on the silverware is enough to remove any gluten residues and if the pans are in good condition they will be fine after washing also. You might want to keep your food preperation items in a bin in your room and just wash and put them away after use then you will know only you are using your plates, pans, etc. I realize how important your education is and the need to finish but have you considered  temporarily suspending your studies until your health has improved? I had to do that with only 3 credit hours left in my degree programs. My grades were suffering and it was important to me to keep my high GPA. Talk to your advisor and see if this might be something you can arrange.  If you are in student housing with your roommates also talk to your advisor about the possibility of a move to better quarters. One of my children was put in senior housing as a freshmen to accomodate her need for her own cooking space. Wouldn't hurt to ask. I hope things improve for you soon. Everything about dealing with celiac can be overwhelming for a bit but hopefully things will improve for you soon.
  • Upcoming Events