This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Alternative Medicine

casnco

casnco Enthusiast

Has anyone tried alternative medicine to deal with DH/Celiac? I am thinking about starting accupuncture. I have used it before for a rash that was probably DH years ago and it worked. Just wondering what anyone elses experience has been?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jnkmnky Collaborator

I think accupuncture stimulates the central nervous system. That cannot help your body digest a protein it's genetically incapable of digesting. I'd be interested in hearing what an accupunturist would say. It's tricky because the person may just want your money. Definitly research this before you go.

casnco Enthusiast

Jnkmnky:

I was thinking that because the central nervous system controls the activity of all of our organs it would help promote the function of the small intestine. I am definatly more apt to use natural medicine than go on the Dapson also. I know I am pulling at straws but I have been Gluten Free for a year and still have symptoms. I do all of my own cooking and feel confident I am not posioning myself. I don't even feed the dog anymore. That is now my families responcibility. My family hasn't seen bread in our house in 6 months.

I will post again once I have a consultation with an accupuncturist. If anyone else out there has tried this your input would be helpful. Thanks

Jnkmnky, thanks for you thoughts. You could be right, but I still think I need to try this.

Jnkmnky Collaborator

You're not licking envelopes when paying bills, or using shampoos with gluten, or lipstick with gluten? Have you heard of accupuncture curing Lactose intolerance? That would be sort of similar to Celiac Disease in that it's a lack of an enzyme, right? Or am I totally wrong on that? :blink: That's not a rare occurance!! I think accupuncture is great, don't get me wrong. I think for things, especially those conditions involving pain such as migrains, R.A., back injuries, etc, accupuncture is a great place to look for relief. I think that in the area of C.D. it might be a money pit. But you should certainly try it if you can. And by all means, let others know if it helps. You could be on to something that totally works. Who knows?! Good luck.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

The first thing that comes to my mind is are you getting any gluten in through products as mentioned by Jnkmnky. Even products like shampoos and soaps and other things can get into your mouth and cause reactions. Any avenue needs to be evaluated. I was glutening myself for a while through a lip balm that had vitamin e derived from wheat. I think you really need to look at that.

I am all for alternative medicine but do understand that the accupuncture will not cure you. You will always have celiac. Hopefully, it may help relieve some symptoms but I strongly encourage you to take a look at all products.

Think about it..if you wash your hands with soap containing gluten and then touch your food then you re getting your food contaminated. Even things like that need to be looked at.

ruddabega Apprentice

Casnco-- I am seeing an acupuncturist for the first time next week! I have fatigue, headaches and stomach aches all possibly related to Celiac. I think it's a great idea. It stimulates the circulation and sends the bodies 'healing powers' to specific areas, which is great for getting your gut back in shape. Let me know how it goes, and I'll let you know!!! :)

Jnkmnky--

Lactose intollerence is the lack of lactase... the enzyme that breaks down lactose. Celiac, however, is a different story.

In Celiacs, gluten triggers the attack of the intestines by the body. We are not able to break down gluten, and instead attack our own villi. Our antibodies read gluten as an antigen, and our immune system screams ATACK! That's why it's so dangerous to ingest gluten occasionally... the antibodies the gluten triggers continue attacking our intestines for 6-9 months after injestion. It's really bad.

My biopsy was positive, but during the endoscopy, they said my intestines looked like pipes, not carpet-shag pipes. My immune system devoured my villi until they were almost completely gone.

So, sorry for the long answer, but in my opinion, Celiac is far more severe then lactose intollerence. :)

Jnkmnky Collaborator

I know lactose intolerance is not as severe as Celiac disease. :)

I thought Celiac's lacked an enzyme to digest gluten???????? Like lacking an enzyme to digest dairy????? That was the association between the two I was going for. Am I wrong? I know the body immune system attacks the body with Celiac, but I thougth it was because there was an enzyme lacking to break down the gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pixiegirl Enthusiast

I do believe in alternative medicine and I do believe that a good, well trained accupuncturist can help with many things. Its certainly worth a try.

I noticed that almost everyone here mentioned that it won't bring about a cure however from your e-mail I'm sure you know that, I don't think a cure is what you are looking for. I do agree with being sure you are not inadvertently being glutened but I have other symptoms and I'm thinking of trying some alternate medicine, I have in the past and will continue to do so and so far its always been helpful for me. It certainly well may help your gut to heal.

Good luck, keep us posted.

susan

casnco Enthusiast

Katie, Jnmnky,ruddabega and Susan:

Thank all of you for your support and thoughts. I will keep everyone posted on my progress. Susan, you are right. I am not banking on a cure for Celiac, just reliefe of the symptoms. Although some doubt the effectiveness of eastern medicine it has worked for me in the past. It was very expencive the first time I used it. I was checking again and the cost has actually decreased! Imagine in this world of inflation something decreasing in cost!

I really appreciate the support of ruddabega and Susan. I needed to hear from those who believe in alternative medicine. However, I thank Katie and Jnmnky for their opinion. I do not want to go into this blindly.

I haven't looked at my soap. Jeeze, how could I miss that? My shampoo is fine. Katie, have you had any experience with laundry detergent? Maybe I need to look at that also. If you have any suggestions for gluten free soap I am listening.

ruddabega, good luck. I hope you find reliefe. Let me know how it goes. I have faith it will be helpful!

Again. Thanks to everyone on the board for their input.

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Hey! I believe in alternative medicine!! :)

frenchiemama Collaborator

I've had accupuncture on my back, and it was wonderful. I suffered for years, and after 6 accupuncture treatments the pain has not returned (It's been about 4 years since treatment).

It never occured to me to try it for DH/celiac disease symptom relief. You'll have to let us know how it goes.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I too believe in alternative medicine. I have got relief of many symptoms through the alternative route.

Also, laundry detergents I use Arm and Hammer or Seventh Generation. They are gluten free but ever since I was a kid I was sensitive to detergents and that has been what we have stuck to.

skbird Contributor

I use Seventh Generation laundry products with no ill affects - I have read on lists before they are gluten free. I love the lavendar scent!

I could absolutely see how accupuncture could help with the symptoms. I have had accupuncture for a dog bite and my back but my seasonal allergies were much improved, as well.

STephanie

Archived