This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Medical Marijuana - It Was Gluten All Along!

vawksel

vawksel Rookie

I've been gluten free for over 2 months now. I feel fantastic. I didn't just stop eating bread. I took it to a whole new level. I decided to eat great, and exercise. I am Gluten, Dairy, Meat and Soy Free. I did it all at the same time. It was shocking and for a few weeks my head was spinning, but now I've come out the other side and it's great.

Once I see a solution to a problem, I just do it. The trick for me is believing that the solution will really work, then just doing it with every fiber of my being.

* Blood pressure dropped from 145/90 to 115/65

* Unconsciously stopped biting my finger-nails after doing so for 28 years (since 5 years old)

* Social anxiety is completely gone. I went from avoiding others on the sidewalk, to cheerfully greeting people and saying Hi.

* General anxiety is gone. I no longer sit anxious/bored and unable to do anything.

* Focus went from near non-existance (diagnosed Inattentive ADHD) to being able to focus on something for multiple hours.

* Couldn't keep eye contact during a conversation before, now I can 90% of the time.

* Energy is WAY up. I used to nap every day, and now I sleep less and feel great.

So, why am I writing this post? Because there was one more thing that I had to do, quit smoking Marijuana.

I started smoking weed two years ago, under California's Medical Marijuana program. I smoked every morning, evening and night. I even smoked in the middle of the night to go back to sleep after waking up. I have to say, it saved my life. It saved my marriage. It got me to where I am now. It is a tool that I used to analyze myself and understand who I am.

So why quit now? Marijuana seems to have a course. It was a crutch to get me by while I was sick and unaware of it.

See, this whole time, I've been self-medicating for Gluten Intolerance. I tried to quit smoking weed a couple times in the past, once making it for 11 days and I never felt more horrible. Six months ago, at the end of 11 days pot free, I was yelling at my wife and kid, angry at the world, not sleeping and feeling like the pain would never end. I threw in the towel and started smoking again.

Once I found out I was gluten intolerant a little over two months ago, I thought "Maybe this is why I couldn't stop smoking weed".

So, today, is day 3 of not smoking weed. The first two days I was pretty sick. Today I am already feeling 85% of 'normal'. I actually feel GOOD, I am happy. This is the answer, I figured it out. It was the GLUTEN.

I read in many books that many people drink alcohol and smoke marijuana because they are self-medicating an underlying condition. The thing is, as you are all aware of I'm sure, is that you are lost. You don't know that you are gluten intolerant. You think you're just broken, or you just need weed/alcohol. But, What if... what if, it's not really just that you have a weak soul. What if, you are sick? I was.

I am kind of speaking to the wrong group here I realize. I should be posting this on a Marijuana Withdrawal Forum, which I will do. But for now, I just want to put this out there and see if anyone else relates.

Or, if you are a pot-head like me ( I can't really say I'm not after only 2 days right? ) -- then check this out. Get yourself super-healthy, avoid the top allergens Gluten/Caesin and after some time, then try to quit pot. You may be shocked on how easy it is now that you aren't self-medicating anymore.

Good luck to you all. I feel great.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Pot does help some people with some of the symptoms of celiac. Since you are no longer symptomatic from injesting gluten you no longer need the med. Like with a lot of meds once the symptoms it is helping are no longer there dropping the med is no big deal. Glad you figured out what the problem is and are being strict with the diet and I hope you continue to feel better and better. It is a wonderful feeling when we no longer need meds to get through the day.

bcberry Newbie

im confused, are you saying that weed contains gluten? or are you just saying that once you get your life back on track, then stop smoking and you'll feel better?

vawksel Rookie

im confused, are you saying that weed contains gluten? or are you just saying that once you get your life back on track, then stop smoking and you'll feel better?

I'm sorry that I wasn't very clear :-). There is no gluten in Marijuana. I was smoking Marijuana to help with the symptoms of Gluten Intolerance/Celiacs. Marijuana greatly eased the anxiety that I had from eating bread.

Now that I've been gluten free for a few months, I tried quitting pot and am finding it 100% doable. Before when I ate bread and tried to quit pot, it wasn't even in the realm of possibility. I would do anything to make the anxiety stop and my fingers were bleeding from excessive biting of my nails.

Today is day 4, and so far it's even better than the previous day 3. So I'm on the right track.

Fubble Newbie

Thank you...

Ok. So your post sounds like a carbon copy of my life right now. Recently diagnosed Hashimotos had lobectomy, just found serologically positive for celiac. All of the points you bulleted in your post apply to me, the ADHD, anxiety, the fact that the weed did something to allow me to address these issues, not only physiologically but cognitively...

What I am trying to say is: thank you. You give me hope. I don't want to smoke pot for the rest of my life. I will if I have to. Because it is medication to me. It is a better fit for me than conventional alternatives: more effective, no side effects, no interactions with other meds, it has a broad spectrum of medical relief. You know all this. I could have written the OP. I know I am rambling and probably violating terms of the board or something<---you see, I stumbled upon this post by searching for marijuana and celiac, so I must admit I kind of flew through the registration process to reply (sorry board). I hope you will read this and know that you have helped someone.

I am printing your post and keeping it in my pocket to remind me that (a) I'm not a lunatic (B) there is hope © that I don't need to feel crazy when I excuse myself to burn one down and (d) most important: I am not alone!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Thank you...

Ok. So your post sounds like a carbon copy of my life right now. Recently diagnosed Hashimotos had lobectomy, just found serologically positive for celiac. All of the points you bulleted in your post apply to me, the ADHD, anxiety, the fact that the weed did something to allow me to address these issues, not only physiologically but cognitively...

What I am trying to say is: thank you. You give me hope. I don't want to smoke pot for the rest of my life. I will if I have to. Because it is medication to me. It is a better fit for me than conventional alternatives: more effective, no side effects, no interactions with other meds, it has a broad spectrum of medical relief. You know all this. I could have written the OP. I know I am rambling and probably violating terms of the board or something<---you see, I stumbled upon this post by searching for marijuana and celiac, so I must admit I kind of flew through the registration process to reply (sorry board). I hope you will read this and know that you have helped someone.

I am printing your post and keeping it in my pocket to remind me that (a) I'm not a lunatic (B) there is hope © that I don't need to feel crazy when I excuse myself to burn one down and (d) most important: I am not alone!

No your not alone. Welcome to the board. Ask any questions you need to and read as much as you can as the gluten-free lifestyle can be tricky at first. I hope you are feeling better soon.

vawksel Rookie

Hi Fubble,

Thank you so much for replying. I was hoping I could help someone with my story.

I have even more good news for you. After 9 days abstinence from weed, I decided to smoke. Sounds bad right? It was awesome because unlike previous times It brought me no additional "Relief" and it wasn't even euphoric. If anything, it was somewhat annoying as I couldn't control my thoughts as well as I could sober.

So, I am so happy because weed no longer "fixes" (bandaid) anything, because I fixed it myself by stopping the gluten.

It took over 2 months to have my brain heal enough to feel good enough to quit pot. So once you go gluten free, don't rush out too fast to quit weed, you might find you still need it during your healing process. Sounds like possibly contradictory advice (to keep using for a while), but it created the best transition period for me.

I hope to see your follow up posts on the board :-).

My best,

Jeff

EDIT: I realize I didn't make something clear. I am no longer smoking pot again. The 9th day "test" was just a test, and I feel if anything more relieved knowing now that I am truly not missing anything. I glanced back at my old ways and confirmed that I'm only moving forward now.

Thank you...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

Congratulations! That's wonderful news!

I smoked some in college, probably self-medicating anxiety similar to you. I couldn't drink much since beer made me sick (gee, I wonder why) so I would smoke weed at parties. I got away from campus and lost interest in pot, although a year and a half later I was started on Prozac.

I never thought about the nail biting and gluten. I don't bite my nails either now.

• 8 months later...
Agriffin55 Newbie

This post really spoke to me. I'm 18 and live in Illinois. I'm currently home from school because of my stomach. It aches like none other, and I feel so tired and hopeless. I have been vomitting every morning for 3 weeks. Prone to depression and bad anxiety, I thought it was a completely mental reaction to hating waking up and school. Maybe if I throw up, I wont need to school, maybe I can stay home and sleep. I constantly battled this, but a few days ago the throwing up wouldn't stop. I went to the doctor and recieved a blood test for celiac disease. Being an 18 year old male, I devour everything in sight. I played varsity football in the fall, started, and made all state. And just like this post says, I smoke pot morning, noon, and night. Whenever I don't, I feel sick and like I'm going to vomit. I hope to god I have celiac disease. It would explain my depression, my anxiety, my stomach problems, and why pot helps me so much. I ate a bagel only yesterday to test my stomach with gluten. I didn't throw up, but my stomach kills and my stool floats and has undissolved fat dropplets in it.

I know this is a lot of info, but this most sounds like my life. If i'm not a celiac... maybe im just completely insane? any comments are greatly appreciated

ravenwoodglass Mentor

This post really spoke to me. I'm 18 and live in Illinois. I'm currently home from school because of my stomach. It aches like none other, and I feel so tired and hopeless. I have been vomitting every morning for 3 weeks. Prone to depression and bad anxiety, I thought it was a completely mental reaction to hating waking up and school. Maybe if I throw up, I wont need to school, maybe I can stay home and sleep. I constantly battled this, but a few days ago the throwing up wouldn't stop. I went to the doctor and recieved a blood test for celiac disease. Being an 18 year old male, I devour everything in sight. I played varsity football in the fall, started, and made all state. And just like this post says, I smoke pot morning, noon, and night. Whenever I don't, I feel sick and like I'm going to vomit. I hope to god I have celiac disease. It would explain my depression, my anxiety, my stomach problems, and why pot helps me so much. I ate a bagel only yesterday to test my stomach with gluten. I didn't throw up, but my stomach kills and my stool floats and has undissolved fat dropplets in it.

I know this is a lot of info, but this most sounds like my life. If i'm not a celiac... maybe im just completely insane? any comments are greatly appreciated

You could very well be celiac or gluten intolerant. Both would require a strict gluten free diet. DO NOT go gluten free or gluten light until you are done with testing. Some of us do have false negative tests so do give the diet a good strict try when testing is done. I hope you are feeling better soon.

• 1 year later...
gray-k Newbie

I seriously could have written the OP. I'm 21, and tested serologically positive for celiac a few months ago. I was always a staunch opponent of drugs, but as I aged the pain and nausea became worse and worse, I gave in to a friend's suggestion to try pot. I've now been smoking heavily for two years. Untold amounts of money flushed down the toilet, but it was more effective than any other medication. A few months (four or so) gluten-free, and I'm still having some pain and nausea, but I no longer smoke first thing in the morning and last at night because I don't need to. I'm down to about a bowl a day, which is still a lot, but it's less than I was smoking. Someday I just want to stop hurting altogether and only get high when I want to. One day at a time, I guess.

• 3 years later...
Malaann Newbie

I realise this is a really old post but hoping for some responses!

I have not been diagnosed with celiac as of yet, but as soon as I stopped my GERD went away 100% after drinking a pill everyday. If I missed one day it would usually feel like I need to throw up by the evening, and now I have only had one pill in over a week! 

I have had recurring staph for about a year now with only one month of no ridiculous boils.

Recently thought it was all good, then ate white bread with peanut butter for 3 days and when I had to have one that just flaired up out of nowhere popped, I passed out from the pain.

I am also a smoker everyday, have scaled down to only smoking in the evenings now, but used to always feel so tired, my eyesight degraded, had "shaky eyes" and some anxiety.

I used to smoke just to get through the day cause I feel so bad, but have been getting more energy in the last week.

Just wanted to say thanks for the post, I am still investigating possible peanut allergy, but had some good periods with peanuts in my diet.

Any comments or advice would be great.

Or similar stories?

Not yet quitting weed, just slowing down, as this is the first time I feel its possible and I have more/normal energy and and.

Hope to hear something back, thanks :)

MB

• 2 weeks later...
PSoychak Newbie
On 8/9/2011 at 4:00 PM, vawksel said:

I've been gluten free for over 2 months now. I feel fantastic. I didn't just stop eating bread. I took it to a whole new level. I decided to eat great, and exercise. I am Gluten, Dairy, Meat and Soy Free. I did it all at the same time. It was shocking and for a few weeks my head was spinning, but now I've come out the other side and it's great.

Once I see a solution to a problem, I just do it. The trick for me is believing that the solution will really work, then just doing it with every fiber of my being.

* Unconsciously stopped biting my finger-nails after doing so for 28 years (since 5 years old)

* Social anxiety is completely gone. I went from avoiding others on the sidewalk, to cheerfully greeting people and saying Hi.

* General anxiety is gone. I no longer sit anxious/bored and unable to do anything.

* Focus went from near non-existance (diagnosed Inattentive ADHD) to being able to focus on something for multiple hours.

* Couldn't keep eye contact during a conversation before, now I can 90% of the time.

* Energy is WAY up. I used to nap every day, and now I sleep less and feel great.

So, why am I writing this post? Because there was one more thing that I had to do, quit smoking Marijuana.

I started smoking weed two years ago, under California's Medical Marijuana program. I smoked every morning, evening and night. I even smoked in the middle of the night to go back to sleep after waking up. I have to say, it saved my life. It saved my marriage. It got me to where I am now. It is a tool that I used to analyze myself and understand who I am.

So why quit now? Marijuana seems to have a course. It was a crutch to get me by while I was sick and unaware of it.

See, this whole time, I've been self-medicating for Gluten Intolerance. I tried to quit smoking weed a couple times in the past, once making it for 11 days and I never felt more horrible. Six months ago, at the end of 11 days pot free, I was yelling at my wife and kid, angry at the world, not sleeping and feeling like the pain would never end. I threw in the towel and started smoking again.

Once I found out I was gluten intolerant a little over two months ago, I thought "Maybe this is why I couldn't stop smoking weed".

So, today, is day 3 of not smoking weed. The first two days I was pretty sick. Today I am already feeling 85% of 'normal'. I actually feel GOOD, I am happy. This is the answer, I figured it out. It was the GLUTEN.

I read in many books that many people drink alcohol and smoke marijuana because they are self-medicating an underlying condition. The thing is, as you are all aware of I'm sure, is that you are lost. You don't know that you are gluten intolerant. You think you're just broken, or you just need weed/alcohol. But, What if... what if, it's not really just that you have a weak soul. What if, you are sick? I was.

I am kind of speaking to the wrong group here I realize. I should be posting this on a Marijuana Withdrawal Forum, which I will do. But for now, I just want to put this out there and see if anyone else relates.

Or, if you are a pot-head like me ( I can't really say I'm not after only 2 days right? ) -- then check this out. Get yourself super-healthy, avoid the top allergens Gluten/Caesin and after some time, then try to quit pot. You may be shocked on how easy it is now that you aren't self-medicating anymore.

Me2! Pot saved my life after the  "normal" medical treatments give me the seizure the broke my spine!

Dartmouth suggested it, as all conventional nausea meds can hurt me  

Within 2 hours I felt better and hungry  

My doc said it's a miracle  

Now to afford it!

2 hours image.thumb.webp.0ce2779063213df32fb512db9f97cb97.webp

BlackShoesBlackSocks Enthusiast

l'm almost 30 days  gluten free and l also believe l will give it up again soon. l didnt smoke weed regularly for a solid decade. l didnt smoke it all for over 5 years.

Looking back, even at 17 l was trying to fix something 'wrong' with it but just had this defective feeling l assumed could never be explained. My other fixes were massive amounts of sugar in the morning which somehow made me feel less...overall gross and anxious, and able to deal with the world. Add caffeine.

well, it has anti inflammatory properties, this could legitimately help. l think on the other hand while waiting to feel better l've really leaned on it with some emotional dependency, and a little bit of just plain boredom trying to pass this time period.

l do think it's a solid distraction and it's at least one 'reward' (to my brain's conditioning) that makes the lifestyle change a little more fair ad easier to adjust to. l can't get a donut, but l can have an edible later sort of thing. l'm certainly not using alcohol as a crutch and have in the past, my birthday was this month and vodka shots all night was the only alcohol l've felt was necessary since:P

There are people with latent or undiagnosed problems and conditions of all sorts marijuana use might mask, and relieve in some way. It may be unhelpful for the signs to be masked when it means we've continued to contribute to what might be causing it (in this case, eating a regular diet and   binging on bagels). But it's probably something a lot of people have experienced, l wouldn't change my teens and early 20s, there are a number of reasons l may still have used marijuana.

• 2 years later...
theshepherdshouse1 Newbie
On 8/9/2011 at 4:00 PM, vawksel said:

I have been Gluten Free for 5 years now this article saved my life I thought I was addicted to Marijuana and I probably was but it was great for relieving my Gluten symptoms.  It was a long hard road but I am Gluten Free and Marijuana free and I have never felt better. I know this is late but I had saved this article and just found it today in my computer and thought i would let you know it saved my life and my marriage.  I attend Celebrate Recovery and life is not perfect but i'm drug free and gluten free thank you so much for this article.

• 3 months later...
DJFL77I Experienced
On 8/9/2011 at 7:00 PM, vawksel said:

Gluten, Dairy, Meat and Soy Free. 

Then what do you eat?  Air?