This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Corn On The Cob

Fairy Dancer

Fairy Dancer Contributor

As I have been avoiding wheat and gluten like the plague on a whole foods diet, the only thing I can think of that I have eaten today that has upset my stomach is a corn on the cob that I ate for lunch. Every thing else I ate I have eaten on other days with no reaction.

ON the bright side, it's a good job I live alone really as I now have a major case of flatulence, and by the feel of it that's not the end of the issue...the stomach cramps and groaning are not a good sign...

I also seem to be in a vile mood for no reason whatsoever!

No it's not aunt flo, she has been and gone already lol

I have no choice but to place the blame on the corn.

Anyone else seem to have corn issues as well as wheat ones?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Marilyn R Community Regular

Yes. Corn is one of the "biggies" that can bite us after going gluten-free. Dairy, soy, legumes, nightshade vegetables (peppers, tomato, okra...) can also be problematic, but not for everyone. And some people are successful at reintroducing foods after awhile.

Sorry you aren't feeling well!

sa1937 Community Regular

I've had corn on the cob twice this summer and it did not like me. I felt fine after I ate it but had issues the next morning. This was fresh corn, not processed or handled by anyone but me. I've thought it could possibly be too much fiber but otherwise I haven't a clue. No problem with cornstarch, corn flour, etc. so I'm clueless.

Fairy Dancer Contributor

TY

It, err, seems to be passing through so hopefully it will wear off soon.

Potatoes (which i think is a nightshade) I seem to be ok with, although tomatoes I am not too sure about. Dairy I seem to be getting away with certainly in the form of natural organic bio live yoghurt anyway.

Soy I prefer to avoid as it seems to give me acid gut and I've not yet noticed a reaction to legumes although I don't eat many of them as I am not keen on them anyway.

Is rice generally ok to eat?

sa1937 Community Regular

Rice is generally safe but then some people have problems with it, too. Personally I don't have a problem with rice.

Fairy Dancer Contributor

This was fresh corn also...

I was ok for the first few hours after eating it then started feeling unwell and some 10 hours later my gut is playing me up something awful. The corn is the only thing I don't eat on a regular daily basis that I can think upset me.

modiddly16 Enthusiast

I've never had issue with corn on the cob but know several people who do. If you're really unsure of what the cause might've been and you wanted to test the waters...moniter your eating for a few days and try having the corn again, if you feel the same way then you have your culprit. However, if you don't want to deal with feeling that way again and you're fine kicking corn out of the diet, go for that too! I always did the trial and error when I had something that was bothering me but wasn't sure what! I hope you feel better!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lima Bean Newbie

Corn on the cob is a different variety of corn than used for other corn stuff. Even corn on the cob has different kinds. One kind bothers me more than the other kind. Corn toritllas don't bother me at all.

lovegrov Collaborator

Yes. Corn is one of the "biggies" that can bite us after going gluten-free. Dairy, soy, legumes, nightshade vegetables (peppers, tomato, okra...) can also be problematic, but not for everyone. And some people are successful at reintroducing foods after awhile.

Sorry you aren't feeling well!

Everybody's body is different, but the good news is that many of us really have minimal problems with anything but gluten.Dairy seems to be the most common but many can return to dairy after being gluten-free for a while.

I LOVE corn on the cob this time of the year and eat it 2-3 times a week with no problem.

richard

jmrogers31 Contributor

A couple weeks in to my gluten free diet I ate a steak and a side of corn for supper and felt horrible later that night. I went over all my meals for the last 2 days and the corn was the only thing I could think of. So I cut it out of my diet. Low and behold, a few weeks later I had a blood test to test for other food allergies and corn showed up. It wasn't a strong allergy, but there was an allergy. My rule now is not to eat anything with corn as the main ingredient. Corn, Corn flour, or Corn syrup. If the 13th ingredient listed is corn starch, I can usually stomach that. Hang in there, now that we are feeling better we can pick out foods that upset us and eliminate them instead of just feeling bad all the time.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I had corn on the cob two days ago and when it left my stomach about 2 hours later it caused me a lot of gut pain. In the past I didn't have trouble with it. I know it can be hard to digest, especially if not chewed well. It could just be that your (and my) intestines aren't feeling healthy right now?

I wondered if some types were more difficult to digest..plus it's one food they mess around with genetically. :huh:

come dance with me Enthusiast

My 8yo cannot eat tomatoes but corn on the cob is ok for her. Any corn for that matter. It won't be the same for everyone so everyone will have to be careful.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Corn is one of those foods that is hard to digest. If you're new to gluten-free you may just have a rather sensitive digestive system. I couldn't do a lot of raw veggies or beans in the beginning because my system was too sensitive. Now I don't seem to have problem with veggies and beans. Give it about 6 months for some healing to take place and then try again.

Marilyn R Community Regular

Is rice generally ok to eat?

Rice is generally good. When it seemed like I was getting sensitive to everything, I started soaking, then rinsing my rice before cooking it. Another poster sorts it by hand before cooking it but I don't have the patience.

I have a few Indian cookbooks and the authors suggest soaking and rinsing before cooking, so that's why I started prepping it like that. I honestly don't know if it helps or not, but it's kind of like washing something you used to dry clean. You look at the dirty water and wonder how you thought that garment or grain was clean. That could just be me.

Googles Community Regular

I have trouble with corn on the cob. But other corn things I am fine with. I also had trouble with tomatoes for about a year. (that really sucked as I love tomatoes.) So far those are my only problems. I hope to keep it that way.

oceangirl Collaborator

I didn't eat corn (amongst about a million other things...) for 2 years when first gluten free as it is rough- lots of fiber. I eat it now happily but not too much all around the same time!

Still don't tolerate rice but can eat rice flour...again, I think it's the fiber.

lisa

PainfulSpaghetti Newbie

Corn can be troublesome for me as well! Rice is generally ok, but Rice crackers cause my stomach to hurt, as does rice flour pizzas, sadly, as I really thought I had found a way to have pizza.<_< But, I was SO sick after eating it. Corn is difficult to digest regardless, and has no viable nutrients. Yet it is a staple in the American diet. Luckily, black beans have done well so far, as have sweet potatoes, and peppers.

• 1 month later...
Irishelement Newbie

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this forum, I was losing my mind trying to figure out what was causing me to have problems again. I found out I had celiac a few months ago and after many accidental "gluttenings" I had been feeling well for almost a month. Last few weeks I've been eating a fair amount of corn on the cob, since reading this page I've eliminated it from my diet and I'm getting back to normal again.

bridgetm Enthusiast

I have trouble with corn as well. I just have trouble digesting it so it can be too much roughage on my gut. I also have to live corn chips and other processed corn foods. I ate more than half of a large bag of Mission tortilla strips on Saturday (in less than 15 minutes... I was with a friend I hadn't seen in a while and we tend to let ourselves go in the other's presence) and felt like I had a brick in my stomach all night.

My mom bought into a crop share deal with a local farm this summer so we were getting a large box of produce every week, including at least a dozen ears of corn. We sometimes ate it 3 or 4 days in a row. If I only had one ear per meal I was fine, but any more gave me some issues.

Archived