This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chipotle

grantschoep

lovegrov Collaborator

Red wine vinegar is without question gluten-free so not sure why they'd warn us away from that. And the vinegar in the salsa is distilled and probably made from corn anyway.

richard

• 5 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
happygirl Collaborator

Just wanted to add that I ate at Chipotle for the first time in December and was sick as a dog, within about 25 minutes. Guess it was cross contamination, but it sure was a whole hell of a lot of it! Frustrating! Because it was YUMMY!

Becky6 Enthusiast

My daughter and I have eaten there and have been fine. But I made them change their gloves before the touched my bol and also the person who was adding the ingredients. Because if they just rolled up a burrito then touched your toppings there is cc! I love htis place!!

CeliaCruz Rookie

I just had two lovely experiences there -- today and yesterday. I'm freelancing near one of them and getting sooooo tired of my daily cottage cheese/fruit/Lay's Stax lunches so I took the plunge. I had the pork burrito bol (no tortilla!) and it was the easiest thing to negotiate. Yummy too! I was going to have a taco, but the "tortilla guy" was literally taking his (gloved) hands, tapping the stacks of wheat burritos and then tapping the stacks of corn tortillas. There was a long line of people behind me and I was feeling shy in general so I didn't have the presense of mind to ask him to change his gloves so I opted for the burrito bol which he didn't touch because he served it to me with a spoon. Twenty-four hours since the first one and I'm symptom free so went back again today and had the same thing!

I can definately see how CC can happen back there...but if I can develop some assertiveness skills, I can also see how a safe meal can be easily negotiated.

My only complaint was that the food was really really salty. And I'm always oversalting stuff so if I'm noticing the food is salty...it's mega salty!

sspitzer5 Apprentice
I just had two lovely experiences there -- today and yesterday. I'm freelancing near one of them and getting sooooo tired of my daily cottage cheese/fruit/Lay's Stax lunches so I took the plunge. I had the pork burrito bol (no tortilla!) and it was the easiest thing to negotiate. Yummy too! I was going to have a taco, but the "tortilla guy" was literally taking his (gloved) hands, tapping the stacks of wheat burritos and then tapping the stacks of corn tortillas. There was a long line of people behind me and I was feeling shy in general so I didn't have the presense of mind to ask him to change his gloves so I opted for the burrito bol which he didn't touch because he served it to me with a spoon. Twenty-four hours since the first one and I'm symptom free so went back again today and had the same thing!

I can definately see how CC can happen back there...but if I can develop some assertiveness skills, I can also see how a safe meal can be easily negotiated.

My only complaint was that the food was really really salty. And I'm always oversalting stuff so if I'm noticing the food is salty...it's mega salty!

I really like eating there, however, cross contamination can be an issue. They touch both the flour tortillas and the cheese with their gloved hands, so I figure some gluten could be getting on the cheese. I've had them change their gloves, although frequently it takes quite a bit of explanation to actually get them to do it. But, even with the new gloves, the cheese has been touched all day by tortilla fingers. Thus, I skip the cheese. :-)

Susan

happygirl Collaborator

unfortunately, even changing gloves might only help so much. I had my person change gloves, all safe ingredients, and was sick as a dog!

CeliaCruz Rookie
I really like eating there, however, cross contamination can be an issue. They touch both the flour tortillas and the cheese with their gloved hands, so I figure some gluten could be getting on the cheese. I've had them change their gloves, although frequently it takes quite a bit of explanation to actually get them to do it. But, even with the new gloves, the cheese has been touched all day by tortilla fingers. Thus, I skip the cheese.

Interesting. The Chipotle franchise I go to is located near Grand Central Station (it's literally called "Grand Central" on the locator website) and it's usually really crowded and they have lots of people behind the counter working the line. One person puts down a tortilla for you, fills it with rice (or just puts rice on an empty plate if you're just having the burrito bol) and passes it to the left. A second person scoops out some meat and passes that to the left. A third person puts the salsa on and then yet another person puts the cheese on etc. Basically it's one person per ingredient so as long as the tortilla guy doesn't contaminate your food with flour tortilla residue, you're home free because no one else who is handling your food has to touch a tortilla. So I guess if I went during off-peak hours, the CC risk would be greater because there'd probably be less people working the line and it's possible that the "cheese" person touched a flour tortilla at some point and contaminated the cheese. It's funny, you'd think that a more crowded place with more employees would be riskier, but in this case, it's probably safer!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jkmunchkin Rising Star
Interesting. The Chipotle franchise I go to is located near Grand Central Station (it's literally called "Grand Central" on the locator website) and it's usually really crowded and they have lots of people behind the counter working the line. One person puts down a tortilla for you, fills it with rice (or just puts rice on an empty plate if you're just having the burrito bol) and passes it to the left. A second person scoops out some meat and passes that to the left. A third person puts the salsa on and then yet another person puts the cheese on etc. Basically it's one person per ingredient so as long as the tortilla guy doesn't contaminate your food with flour tortilla residue, you're home free because no one else who is handling your food has to touch a tortilla. So I guess if I went during off-peak hours, the CC risk would be greater because there'd probably be less people working the line and it's possible that the "cheese" person touched a flour tortilla at some point and contaminated the cheese. It's funny, you'd think that a more crowded place with more employees would be riskier, but in this case, it's probably safer!

I'm glad you posted this because when I read the changing of the gloves for risk of CC, I kinda got sad and thought oh no am I gonna have to cross this one off my list. But when I read this I remembered they have the same routine by me at work. The one across from Bryant Park.

sspitzer5 Apprentice

That's funny! The one I go to usually only has one or two people behind the counter. I get the burrito bowls and I haven't gotten sick from eating there. I think it's a great place. The cheese seems to be the only thing they touch with their gloves.

nothungry Contributor

If we can get back to the discussion on Chipotle....I have never eaten there but I will be in New York City near Chipotle soon. Do any of you guys know if they have any child friendly food available...How is the atmosphere for kids...I really have no idea what this place is like but it sounds yummy. Thanks for any information!!

grantschoep Contributor

Chipotle is basically your typical fast food type setup. I guess I'd say its a little bit fancier inside. Though, they do have beer and margaritas... But heck, they are owned by McD's after all...

I don't know if there is a children's menu, but I see family's eat there all the time. Its typical mexican "fast food style" I'd guess. No, not Taco Bell(thats not mexican food..hehe)

A regular old burrito is wrapped in the tortilla, stuck in tin foil. As we need to be gluten free, get a burrito bol, (bowl) Its basically the same thing, without the tortilla, thrown in a paper bowl.

Cruchy taco's are great too.

I always get one of the above. About 6 bucks each.

CeliaCruz Rookie

Yeah, it's a really streamlined menu. Your only choices are a) a burrito B) soft tacos c) crunchy tacos d) a burrito bol e) a salad. And then you get to choose the meat (steak, chicken, pork, spicy beef), the salsa (mild, hot, corn) and your other toppings (cheese, sour cream, lettuce etc). It's all done in this quasi-conveyer belt method with people at various "stations" passing your food down the line. There's no child's menu but you can get a separate order of chips and salsa or guacamole for your kids if they just want something to snack on and aren't up for a full entree. (Although, I don't know if tortilla chips are what you meant by "kid friendly"...)

Oh, and according to the gluten-free info on their website, the only Celiac-friendly entrees are the burrito bol, the crunchy tacos and the salad (but without the dressing). And you shouldn't get the hot salsa.

mmaccartney Explorer

Chipotle was a gluten-free staple of mine until I started having reactions to it. Out of about 100 times I've eaten there, there have been 3 instances of reaction to their food. I suspect corss contamination to be the issue...

• 2 months later...
angel-jd1 Community Regular

God Bless Chipolte!!!! I finally got to eat there today and it was SOOOO yummy!! I am a huge fan now. I can't wait until I can go back again.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

• 2 years later...
dimplefce5 Newbie

I just wanted to let you know that I went to Chipotle today and found that they have an alergy card. On the card it says each alergy and what food it is in. Gluten is ONLY in the flour shell! I am newly diagnosed and the past 2 weeks have been stressful finding food. Chipotle was a break from work and was such a great experience. Anything to not have to ask what is in everything. It is a great place to go to until I learn exactly what to eat where!!

Nancym Enthusiast

In my area a bunch of people got Hepatitis A at a local chipotle. I bet you'd believe it was one douzy of a glutening! But heck, that can happen anywhere, seems to be common in fast food restaurants.

Open Original Shared Link

lizard00 Enthusiast

Chipotle remains on my list of places I can eat without getting sick. And that list continues to shorten. :(

I get their burrito bols most of the time, although I did get brave and tried the tacos. They were great and I think maybe once I felt a little wanky after I ate there. But I think my stomach was upset already and it just made it worse. I was worried about the tacos, but then realized that only gluten product is the tortilla, which they don't fry. Hooray!!!

It's bad, I have one within walking distance of my house...

home-based-mom Contributor
In my area a bunch of people got Hepatitis A at a local chipotle. I bet you'd believe it was one douzy of a glutening! But heck, that can happen anywhere, seems to be common in fast food restaurants.

Open Original Shared Link

This is down the street from where I live. Husband and daughter go there on occasion (seem to be fine, PTL) but Chipotle has always been too spicy for me. Right now I am kind of glad! More and more people are becoming sick and it doesn't seem to be coming from the employees. If delivery people were the problem, there would be more cases tied to another place on their route. I'm starting to wonder if it isn't a frequent customer who re-contaminates something such as the soft drink handles or rest room doors or faucets or ? :unsure:

Nancym Enthusiast
This is down the street from where I live. Husband and daughter go there on occasion (seem to be fine, PTL) but Chipotle has always been too spicy for me. Right now I am kind of glad! More and more people are becoming sick and it doesn't seem to be coming from the employees. If delivery people were the problem, there would be more cases tied to another place on their route. I'm starting to wonder if it isn't a frequent customer who re-contaminates something such as the soft drink handles or rest room doors or faucets or ? :unsure:

I just read that they think it came from a customer... but that's really weird, how could one customer transmit it to another?

home-based-mom Contributor
I just read that they think it came from a customer... but that's really weird, how could one customer transmit it to another?

Other than the soft drink handles or rest room doors or faucets that I mentioned above, I don't know. If a customer had less than stellar sanitary habits then the customer could easily contaminate surfaces such as those. Kinda grosses you out about going anywhere, doesn't it? You think you have followed all "the rules" but all it takes is one person who doesn't.

Wasn't there an e-mail or something awhile back that warned never to eat the peanuts/pretzels/whatever on the tables during happy hours because so many patrons don't wash their hands before dipping into the community bowl/basket?

kbabe1968 Enthusiast
If we can get back to the discussion on Chipotle....I have never eaten there but I will be in New York City near Chipotle soon. Do any of you guys know if they have any child friendly food available...How is the atmosphere for kids...I really have no idea what this place is like but it sounds yummy. Thanks for any information!!

I have 3 kids (8, 6 and 3)...we eat there maybe once a month.

They have a "kids" menu...but basically will make ANYTHING based on the ingredients they use.

My kids usually get the carnitas soft tacos (or crunchy, depending on mood). My eldest is brave enough for the guacamole - but it has a tendency to be on the spicy side.

The restaurant is like most fast food on a tray type places (well...except for McD's, maybe!)....but there's places to sit, high chairs, etc....they are very accomodating!

My husband always does the ordering, has the person behind the counter change gloves and do my order first (a bowl, almost always!). Then he has them cover it while they do the others (so that nothing slaps into it). In ours you work with one person for your whole order and the only thing they touch with gloved hands is cheese and lettuce...everything else is spooned. They are ALWAYS accomodating...so far I haven't gotten sick from them at all.

I learned to make some of the stuff myself, though, because I could eat at Chipotle every day!!! I love thier carnitas!!! I'm still perfecting, but it's getting pretty darn close!

:)

• 1 year later...
ikerumba Newbie

I would recommend:

Veggie Fajita Burrito Bowl (no wrap)

Rice, Black Beans, Green Peppers/Onions, Pico, Corn Salsa, Guacamole.

Go to grocery store and buy Collard Greens

Put Collard Green in large bowl..add boiling water and cover for 5 minutes.

Drain and use the collard greens as a wrap.

• 6 months later...
racer11x Newbie

What is all gluten free at Chipotle, I was diagnosed with celiac about 2 months ago and now am really craving burrito's again. I know people have listed Chipotle as a place that we should be able to eat at.

I was wondering what all is gluten free? Assuming all the tortillas are out, are all their meat/salsa's gluten free? I love the steak/carne asada burrito, I'd love to get that, even though I'd have to skip the tortilla, I just know it has some marinate on it as was wondering if that was gluten free.

Here is what they told me. Nothing I really didn't already know. Politicians:)

Thanks for writing to us. I'm so sorry to hear about your reaction to gluten. That is definitely the non-standard reaction and sounds very severe. Unfortunately, we do serve gluten-containing ingredients in our restaurants and we cannot guarantee that other foods will not come into contact with our tortillas.

Normally, we tell people that they can eat anything we serve except for the large and small flour tortillas. Our hot red tomatillo salsa also contains a small amount of distilled vinegar in it which some gluten-oriented websites still say might be problematic, although most don't. However, because we cannot guarantee that we are gluten-free, we definitely encourage them to carefully consider their dining choices since we do carry gluten-containing items in our restaurants.

I also appreciate the offer for training techniques and I'll definitely be sure to pass it along. Unfortunately though, the cross contact might have occurred in either the lettuce or the cheese as these items are served by gloved hand, rather than by serving utensils. Because our servers handle the tortillas by hand as well, there is possibly more of a chance for cross contact with these items.

I'm not sure if either of the above items were included in your order, but that can be a cause for concern, especially for those who are highly sensitive. Again though, we definitely encourage you to be cautious as we cannot guarantee our foods are gluten free.

Sincerely,

Shannon

Shannon Kyllo | Marketing Consultant

Chipotle Mexican Grill

katelynne06 Newbie

What is all gluten free at Chipotle, I was diagnosed with celiac about 2 months ago and now am really craving burrito's again. I know people have listed Chipotle as a place that we should be able to eat at.

I was wondering what all is gluten free? Assuming all the tortillas are out, are all their meat/salsa's gluten free? I love the steak/carne asada burrito, I'd love to get that, even though I'd have to skip the tortilla, I just know it has some marinate on it as was wondering if that was gluten free.

I can't figure out why but everytime I, as well as my sister who also has celiac diesease, get EXTREMELY sick when eating chiptole. I have read all the information on their website and taken cross contamination precautions when attempting to eat there but it hasn't helped so I stay clear from them! I think there may be as missing link in their food. They did mention something about the corn possibly containing gluten.

Skylark Collaborator

I eat at my local Chipotle all the time with no problems. The only thing I avoid are the corn soft tacos, because they put the corn tortillas on the same griddle as the flour ones and I'm afraid of CC.

Archived