This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac Cost Me Everything

ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Ravenwood - I changed my Avatar to my guy, Fetch, in honor of yours. I hope it brings you a little smile.

He is adorable! Is he a Jack Russel? If he is he must keep you running as they are such energetic little guys. I know I will eventually find another little best friend who needs me and until that time comes I will visit shelters and give a little love to the ones who are waiting for their forever homes. It helped a lot yesterday to visit and take a couple dogs for a walk and there was one little spaniel who was boarded 6 weeks ago and whose owners haven't come back for him. They said some people will 'board' their pets and then never come back. He was so sad and it was nice to make his little stub tail wag with a few pets and some treats. They do prosecute the folks who do this but it takes a long time for these abandoned dogs to be able to go to a new forever home while the shelter searches for the owners. I don't know how anyone could do something like that. If you can't keep a pet surrender it don't 'board' them and then just disappear. This little guy would have gone to a forever home a long time ago if they had done that.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mommida Enthusiast

I really can't think of much to tell you right now, because I'm crying for your loss.

Cyber ((HUGS)) to you! Just know I care and I have lost furry friends too.

You have been here in our "tribe" a long time and I have seen your heart reach out to so many that need help. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family now for healing.

Can you volunteer at the no kill shelter? It might do you good and fill some of the loneliness right now.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I will never stop reaching out to my kids. I try not to call more than once a month because I know they are busy and they do eventually call me back.

I think it is hard because we were so close when they were younger. It doesn't help that they both ignore their diagnosis but I don't mention anything about it anymore. It is a very taboo subject and is just not brought up. I pray it won't take them becoming as sick as I was before they realize they really do need the diet. It is hard when I was always there for them when they were growing up and it doesn't help any that I have no other family to reach out to. They will always be a very important part of my life as they were my reason to keep living for years. My being ill was very hard on both of them but especially my DD as she lived full time with me while her brother went to live with his Dad as a teen although we saw each other daily he never knew how sick I really was. My DD knew about the hours spent nightly and daily in the bathroom in agony and I think it is what contributed to her having an occupation in health care. She was even the one who wanted me to get Pooh when I had complications after surgery but I don't think either of them understand the deep love one can have for a pet or the pain that comes when losing one who has been with you and been your best friend for years. I hope someday we will have a closer relationship although I know it will never be as close as it was when they were little. I am not angry with them although it may come across like that but I am hurt. I do understand but I don't think they know how much I need to just talk to them about nothing, if you know what I mean.

I'm sure they have no idea how much you need them. If I stop calling my mom she will call me about once a month too. I wish she would call more often. I know I can also call her more often but sometimes I don't. Sometimes I'm too busy and just don't think to call her. Sometimes I really have nothing new to talk about and I figure if she wanted to talk to me she would call. I hope you can visit with them soon.

oceangirl Collaborator

Really nice shared dialogue between GlutenfreemManna and Raven and others re: the tricky nature of adult kid and parent relationships. There is so often more than meets the eye in ANY relationship! I know that even here in my 50's I still can have issues with my parents and they with me! The human condition, I guess. That doesn't mean it doesn't hurt or feel crappy sometimes. I firmly believe in the "don't give up" approach and in recognizing there may be unexpressed needs for both parties in relationship; sometimes it's hard to remember this.

I think if spending time at the shelter feels good, Raven, that is excellent for now, and if someone is supposed to go home with you one day, I know it will just happen and feel right.

And, YES, WHY can't people just bring animals to the shelter and say they don't want or can't have them anymore? Then the shelter can do what they do... sigh.... so much need in this world.

Is "Pooh" named for THE "Pooh"? I am a big fan of A.A. Milne. If so, reading THE TAO OF POOH by Benjamin Hoff might feel good right now as it is something of a treatise on the Zen nature of Pooh. Possibly heart-warming in hard times?

Still thinking of you.

lisa

Marie1976 Enthusiast

I haven't been on this board for very long, but you have helped me too. I'm so sorry about your loss. Over the last few years, we lost our two cats and our two dogs all of whom we had for approx. 15 years. It was soooo hard. They were part of our family. It is truly heart-wrenching. I feel your pain. I hope you feel better soon.

Hungrylady Rookie

I am brand new to this forum but I wanted you to hear from someone who, might not have lost everything but lost all my friends. So weird but it's like they just don't believe you. One friend told me to eat more garlic and I'd be healthy. Sad. I feel for you and how alone it can make you feel. It is mind blowing that people don't understand in this day and age (google it for crying out loud!).

I say grieve for your beloved (I lost my Champer two years ago) but go get another friend, and quick! It doesn't mean you love your dog any less, just means you know how awesome dogs are and to be without one would be a crime!We got another dog a year later and that was only because we had to find the right one (have a child/$$). Go save a dog and lighten your heart. You dog would want you to be happy!

As for people...it sounds like loads of people love you here and I am looking forward to getting to know you too!

SarahJimMarcy Apprentice

He is a Jack Russel and he loves me more than my husband and daughter combined! He sends love to you, too, because there's plenty to go around. :-)

It's so great that you're out there giving love to shelter dogs. I hope it makes you feel a little better every day.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Is "Pooh" named for THE "Pooh"? I am a big fan of A.A. Milne. If so, reading THE TAO OF POOH by Benjamin Hoff might feel good right now as it is something of a treatise on the Zen nature of Pooh. Possibly heart-warming in hard times?

Still thinking of you.

lisa

I had to smile when I read this question. Pooh Bear was know as Poo Pet for the first couple years of his life. Why, well he was a cast-off (defective jaw) from a puppy mill. He was 4 or 5 months old when we got him and saved him from possibly being euthanized. Because he had spent all his life in a cage he was very hard to housebreak. It took a full 2 years and the realization that 'puppy pads' might help before he became housebroken. I continued to keep them around for him to use when I was out of the house, or at times in, since he never learned how to tell me he had to go. He was a 'sneak' poo-er. Take him outside and then when he came in he would go around a corner and sneakily do his business. Even after he got fully trained if he saw me watching from the back door when he went out he wouldn't go. However on our walks at the lake or around the block it would be the first thing he would do, well that and mark every vertical object we passed. He was a real character.

Jestgar Rising Star

I had to smile when I read this question. Pooh Bear was know as Poo Pet for the first couple years of his life. Why, well he was a cast-off (defective jaw) from a puppy mill. He was 4 or 5 months old when we got him and saved him from possibly being euthanized. Because he had spent all his life in a cage he was very hard to housebreak. It took a full 2 years and the realization that 'puppy pads' might help before he became housebroken. I continued to keep them around for him to use when I was out of the house, or at times in, since he never learned how to tell me he had to go. He was a 'sneak' poo-er. Take him outside and then when he came in he would go around a corner and sneakily do his business. Even after he got fully trained if he saw me watching from the back door when he went out he wouldn't go. However on our walks at the lake or around the block it would be the first thing he would do, well that and mark every vertical object we passed. He was a real character.

:)

I love the furry friend special stories.

SarahJimMarcy Apprentice

Pooh was lucky to have you. :-)

DottieB59 Newbie

I am so sorry for your loss. I am so new here that I can only read what others have to say about you. You have been such an inspiration to many people.

One of my favorite things I tell folks is, "You never know who your Family will be". I believe it. I am an animal artist so I see people and their "furchildren" almost daily. The pain of losing a pet is real, but it will soften. You gave a little creature a wonderful life. What more could we all wish for?

cyberprof Enthusiast

Oh, Raven. I missed this post so I'm sorry to be late. The outpouring of love on here is genuine and you do have us as your tribe as someone else said. I hope that the many good memories of Pooh will sustain you. As with all dogs, he would not have wanted you to be unhappy. Please keep him in your heart and let his love sustain you. All the best from someone who counts you as a blessing.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

The response from my tribe has been overwhelming and has helped so much. I got a very sweet message from my DS yesterday. Since I know he couldn't stand my little dog (he is very sensitive to odors and hates dog smell) it meant a lot to me. The anger that was so obvious in my first post has resolved and I was able to eat yesterday without sobbing.

In my trips to the shelters I discovered most have a 'seniors for seniors' program in which they match older dogs to older adults. At some point there will be a sad older dog who needs me as much as I need him or her. We will find each other when the time is right. I didn't realize how much safer I felt with my little dog till last night. He helped me do so much when I stuggled to just leave my house or go upstairs at night and although he was far from a guard dog he was like my security blanket.

Anyway thank you all. Your kindness has helped more than any of you could ever know. I'm hanging in and doing better day by day.

Marz Enthusiast

Oh my god Raven, I'm so sorry :( I started crying when I read your post, that's such a tragic thing to happen... Is there anyone you can talk to or rely on for some support until you get through the grief? And yes, pets are family, don't let anyone tell you otherwise, it's just a pity they have such a short time with us.... Sending you lots of hugs, hope you come through this soon.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

There has been a bit of a bright ending to all this pain. As I mentioned in an earlier post I have been visiting shelters all week, walking and petting the animals there. There have been some really beautiful dogs and kitties that I find hard to believe anyone could give up or abandon but none that gave that special tug on the heart. I stopped in one late this afternoon and the first thing I saw when I pulled in was this little girl missing over half her fur and gazing quietly at me with one blue and one brown eye. She was a stray found a couple months ago that noone has been giving a second glance at because of her coat condition. They said they had determined that she has severe allergies and that was why she was bald when she was found and she was skin and bones. No way to know how long she had been on her own scavanging. Do I have to say that she is now sitting on her training lead chewing on a stuffed toy right next to me? She is going to need some training, she doesn't even know sit but does seem to be housebroken. She is a blue merle dapple dachshund about 5 years old. No one can ever 'replace' Pooh Bear but she needed me as much as I needed her. After dinner and her bath she fell asleep rolled up in a towel in my arms. I'll post pictures once a bit more of her hair grows back and yes we are going to get her some grain free food first thing tommorrow. The older cats are quite mad at me right now but the kitten is overjoyed to have someone who wants to play 'you chase me - I chase you' which will be quite a relief to the old guys.

kareng Grand Master

There has been a bit of a bright ending to all this pain. As I mentioned in an earlier post I have been visiting shelters all week, walking and petting the animals there. There have been some really beautiful dogs and kitties that I find hard to believe anyone could give up or abandon but none that gave that special tug on the heart. I stopped in one late this afternoon and the first thing I saw when I pulled in was this little girl missing over half her fur and gazing quietly at me with one blue and one brown eye. She was a stray found a couple months ago that noone has been giving a second glance at because of her coat condition. They said they had determined that she has severe allergies and that was why she was bald when she was found and she was skin and bones. No way to know how long she had been on her own scavanging. Do I have to say that she is now sitting on her training lead chewing on a stuffed toy right next to me? She is going to need some training, she doesn't even know sit but does seem to be housebroken. She is a blue merle dapple dachshund about 5 years old. No one can ever 'replace' Pooh Bear but she needed me as much as I needed her. After dinner and her bath she fell asleep rolled up in a towel in my arms. I'll post pictures once a bit more of her hair grows back and yes we are going to get her some grain free food first thing tommorrow. The older cats are quite mad at me right now but the kitten is overjoyed to have someone who wants to play 'you chase me - I chase you' which will be quite a relief to the old guys.

You're the perfect person for ???? (name?). You can certainly understand allergies and not looking or feeling your best. Pooh would be very happy.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

You're the perfect person for ???? (name?). You can certainly understand allergies and not looking or feeling your best. Pooh would be very happy.

She seems to like Maggie. I never thouht such a short dog could jump so high! I thought she might have trouble with stairs but she can even jump up on the bed with no problems at all.

Jestgar Rising Star

Do I have to say that she is now sitting on her training lead chewing on a stuffed toy right next to me?

:wub: :wub: :wub:

IrishHeart Veteran

Raven, you sweetheart,

Forgive my late post (I have been AWOL from the site because my computer

is messed up and it would not let me on here) and just now saw your post. I have cried reading through each supportive message to you--such an outpouring of compassion and love---and that's what this site is all about!!! :)

First of all, my sincere sympathy on the loss of your beloved Pooh. You have told me how much he meant to you and I am just heartbroken for you. Losing my Labrador, Gracie was devastating to me --she was my child, as I never could have one (because of the celiac, I know now)---and so, I feel for you and wish I could reach across the state and give you a giant, loving hug.

Secondly, I wish to echo everyone's words--you have more friends than you realize! We are your family, your friends, and as someone aptly put it---your tribe (love that!) You were the first person to welcome me to the board, answer a bazillion questions and personal messages and as I have told you many times, even though you may never realize it--you have touched thousands of lives by sharing your wisdom and kindness. You have been generous and encouraging and I will never, ever forget that!

And most importantly, I am delighted to see that you have already welcomed a new fur baby into your home and your heart! Good for you! That is one lucky dog! ;) Bless you--and your sweet and giving nature---and I hope you feel better every day. Hugs to you, hon!

My best always,

IH

Diane-in-FL Explorer

I am so happy to read that you found a new friend. You will be good for each other.

Hugs for both of you!

mushroom Proficient

Maggie could not have found a better friend. :wub:

SarahJimMarcy Apprentice

So happy for you and your new girl! Very happy!

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

It was meant to be! I'm sure you will take good care of Maggie and her coat will be growing back in no time! :)

oceangirl Collaborator

Raven,

Yay!

So MUCH need for those who, sadly, often don't live as long as others...

YAy!!!!!!!

Love to see a picture, bald or not. Pooh most likely sent you to meet each other...

lisa

cyberprof Enthusiast

Raven, yes -bald or not we want to see a picture of Maggie.

My border collie Tag (or Taggie as she was nick-named)was my shadow. Tag followed me everywhere and lay underneath my chair all the time and slept in our room at night. When she was going to be euthanized the next day, I called her original owner to see if she wanted to say "good-bye" but left her a message. She called me back to tell me that she had a new litter of border collie pups - the best litter ever - and that they were great-great grandkids of my beloved Tag: I knew it was a sign, as I had not told her Tag was sick. So we have Maggie and while she isn't as wise or as caring as Tag, I know that Taggie is watching us with approval. So it is with your Pooh and your Maggie.

May you have unlimited walks, talks, cuddles and naps and bountiful love for each other.

Archived