This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

General Shopping Suggestions

India

India Contributor

Dear all,

I will be visiting the US soon (Ohio, West Virginia and Texas) and this will be my first visit since going gluten-free.

I'd be grateful for any advice on easily available/mainstream foods which are reliably gluten-free. I cook from scratch as often as possible and I'll take some kitchenware with me but I can't rely on being able to cook much.

I also can't tolerate corn/soy and I follow a FODMAPs diet, so I can't eat too many foods based on fruit or beans.

Could you please recommend...?

- brands (inc supermarket brands) which reliably label their food as gluten-free

- stores which sell a good range of gluten-free foods

- any suggestions for food I can grab and eat (snacks, candy, microwave dinners - not my favourites, but in case of a hunger emergency!)

Grateful for any suggestions!

India

(Looking forward to those gluten-free Rice Krispies I've heard about...)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I don't know if they are in the places you are going but if a Wegmans is near they label all their gluten free store brand items with a Circle G and I have never had an issue with any of their stuff.

Thai Kitchen noodles are a staple at my house. You can find them in the Oriental foods section in a lot of places. Kraft and Unilever products are well labeled. Finding gluten free stuff is getting much easier as time goes on.

I hope you have a great trip.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

You need to find a Whole Foods Market (grocery chain), or Trader Joe's (grocery chain). You'll find Whole Foods in TX - they are based in Austin.

Eat at more upscale restaurants - they tend to cook with whole food, so they can alter the meals.

Also, therese be celiac support groups in the areas you're visiting, google it. Locals can help alot.

StephanieL Enthusiast

What part of Ohio? I am in the Greater CLeveland area and can give you a few places to shop at if you are going to be anywhere near here.

Archived