This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Food Should I Eat On An Elimination Diet

smc

smc Rookie

I think i need to start an elimination diet but i don't know where to begin. I want to eat healthy while trying to figure out my problem . What can i eat for breakfeast lunch and dinner ? And how long should i do it for? I did buy some white and brown rice and chicken today along with veigies. Are bananas ok?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

My doctor guided me with my elimination diet and I started out with 5 foods, turkey, rice, sweet potatoes, peas and pineapple. No coffee, soda, only water as a beverage, no spices other than salt, no butter or sugar. He picked foods I did not commonly eat as those would be the ones I would be least likely to react to. In other words I started with foods I didn't really like. I was to stay with only those foods until my symptoms resolved and then I added in one food at a time in pure form for a week or until I reacted.

Your best starting foods may be different from mine but do be sure to start with a colorful plate. You should have something yellow or orange, something green and then your protein and carb. That will help you to make sure you are getting adaquate nutrition during the elimination.

If you have an allergist or naturopathic doctor that can give you the best starting point for you that would be the ideal.

cahill Collaborator

There are different ways to do an elimination diet,

One way is to eliminate the top 8 food allergens ( and all foods that contain them) from your diet and then slowly reintroduce them to judge your reaction .

the top 8 being

Milk

Eggs

Peanuts

Tree nuts (such as almonds, cashews, walnuts)

Fish (such as bass, cod, flounder)

Shellfish (such as crab, lobster, shrimp)

Soy

Wheat

In addtion to these 8 I would also suggest eliminating nightshades(white potatoes,tomatoes,peppers,eggplant ect..) and slowly reintroducing them.

I went on a even stricter elimination diet. I , as Raven did, started with 5 foods I did not normally eat. Mine were ground lamb,plain white rice,sweet potatoes, peas and peaches .Drinking only plain water.

After two to three weeks of eating only these food my symptoms start to heal so I very slowly started adding other foods. One at a time and waiting at 5 to 7 days before adding another food to judge my reaction if any.

Strawberry-Jam Enthusiast

Can you start with a food you do normally eat, but know doesn't cause you problems?

I want to do an elimination diet too--a strict one--but I want rice to be one of my foods I start with. I eat rice every day, almost with every meal, and I have good days and bad days, not only bad days like I did when I ate gluten every day. So I know my extra problems can't be caused by rice. Can I therefore include it in my elimination diet?

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Can you start with a food you do normally eat, but know doesn't cause you problems?

I want to do an elimination diet too--a strict one--but I want rice to be one of my foods I start with. I eat rice every day, almost with every meal, and I have good days and bad days, not only bad days like I did when I ate gluten every day. So I know my extra problems can't be caused by rice. Can I therefore include it in my elimination diet?

Well the elimination police aren't going to go after you if you do. :)

You could try it for a couple of weeks and if you are still having the same pattern of issues then drop it and use something else as a carb source.

You might want to be sure to rinse the rice well before cooking and use one that is just rice.

smc Rookie

Thank you for some good ideas. I hope i can find my new problem before my doctor appointment or at least have my symptoms resolve. I am thinking at least dairy is a problem but so far my food diary is'nt helping me figure this out. Is it common for us celiacs to find other intolerances after feeling good for a while -in my case almost 2 years?

smc Rookie

How many food intolerances did you guys find? a1956chill-did you find any other problems for yourself besides soy ?

Did you guys get similiar symptoms from them like before you went gluten-free? I have some of the same symptoms but not as severe.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cahill Collaborator

How many food intolerances did you guys find? a1956chill-did you find any other problems for yourself besides soy ?

Did you guys get similiar symptoms from them like before you went gluten-free? I have some of the same symptoms but not as severe.

At my illest I was intolerant of most everything. But remember I was undiagnosed for 40+ years.

I was/am gluten free (of course). I am still soy free as soy is as great of an issue as gluten for me.

I have attempted to reintroduce nightshades but am only able to tolerate very small amounts of potato flour in baked products.So other than very small amount of potato flour I still avoid nightshades.

I was intolerant of dairy and corn but have successfully added them back in to my diet .

Eggs are still an issue and I tolerate small amounts in baked good but that is my limit.

Fruits and veggies are still questionable, I do best by rotating them (instead of eating the same ones daily) and in small amounts.

Coffee is still questionable, I can on occasion have a small cup and be ok but ,again , that is my limit.

Fish I avoid expect on rare occasion and most meats are also something that is best rotated .

I do find that for me the best way is to rotate my diet, not eating the same things on a daily basis .

Strawberry-Jam Enthusiast

That would be the toughest part, for me! I'm a poor recent grad and I will eat the same thing for weeks, until it runs out, and then buy something else. It keeps produce and leftovers from going bad on me and therefore being wasted. Dried things like rice and beans are the staples of my diet. Idk if I could have the luxury of rotating food on such a regular basis!

Archived