This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

What Regular Beer Has The Least Gluten

OhWell

OhWell Rookie

Hi all........I am new here and doing some research.......any info about what regular domestic beers are lowest in Gluten would be appreciated. I heard that Bud light and Corona were low on Gluten.....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Hi all........I am new here and doing some research.......any info about what regular domestic beers are lowest in Gluten would be appreciated. I heard that Bud light and Corona were low on Gluten.....

:huh: Curious, why do you want to know? We are not on "low gluten" diets... :unsure:

Voix Rookie

It doesn't really work that way, if one has a gluten problem, one needs to avoid it all together.

However, I have just found a great gluten-free beer company. Have you tried New Planet? It really tastes like real beer. They are award wining and have three flavors.

(NFI)

kareng Grand Master

It doesn't really work that way, if one has a gluten problem, one needs to avoid it all together.

However, I have just found a great gluten-free beer company. Have you tried New Planet? It really tastes like real beer. They are award wining and have three flavors.

(NFI)

I like New Planet, too. They are only in a few states right now - the ones around Colorado where it is made. They are working on the permits needed to sell in more states.

livelifelarge24 Enthusiast

There is really no difference between low gluten & lots of gluten... If you're going to poison yourself it really doesn't matter how much poison you take! BevMo has some great gluten free beers, I think my favorite so far is Red Sail.

JoshB Apprentice

Gotta vote against the New Planet. I wanted to like it, really I did. Unfortunately it's costs more than Spaten, and it's about on the same level as gluten free "bread".

Learn to like wine.

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

Gotta vote against the New Planet. I wanted to like it, really I did. Unfortunately it's costs more than Spaten, and it's about on the same level as gluten free "bread".

Learn to like wine.

Have you tried New Planets Pale Ale? Hubby thinks that one taste the best out of their flavors. Close to real thing. We do agree about price though :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I do have to admit that when someone said on the board a long time ago that Bud Light was low enough to not effect us I did try one. Boy did it taste good as I was a big fan of beer prediagnosis and the sorghum beers to me taste nasty. Result was not pretty. I might as well have had a piece of cake or some phyllo. Just not worth it.

You have to keep in mind that celiac is autoimmune and it takes very, very little gluten to start the autoimmune action.

As someone else mentioned I now do wine mixed with soda when I want something refreshing on a hot day.

Flasaltwater Apprentice

I think I read that Anheuser has a beer called REDBRIDGE that Is Gluten , wheat free I think they make is with Sorghum.

OhWell Rookie

thanks for the feedback.....I probably should have joined a "gluten free" website but my daughter was just DXed with celiac so I joined this forum.........I was posting the beer question for me as I am thinking of changing my diet to a "reduced gluten eating style".....I will probably post a few other questions as I help my daughter out..........I do understand that she will not be able to have any gluten........thanks.....

kareng Grand Master

thanks for the feedback.....I probably should have joined a "gluten free" website but my daughter was just DXed with celiac so I joined this forum.........I was posting the beer question for me as I am thinking of changing my diet to a "reduced gluten eating style".....I will probably post a few other questions as I help my daughter out..........I do understand that she will not be able to have any gluten........thanks.....

You're in the right place. Should have just explained better. We have people who have doctors, dieticians & mother-in-laws tell them "a little won't hurt them". :o

You should probably stay gluten-full until you get your blood tested. Celiac is genetic.

With a kid with Celiac, you will probably be eating gluten light or gluten free at home. Just makes it easier.

OhWell Rookie

You're in the right place. Should have just explained better. We have people who have doctors, dieticians & mother-in-laws tell them "a little won't hurt them". :o

You should probably stay gluten-full until you get your blood tested. Celiac is genetic.

With a kid with Celiac, you will probably be eating gluten light or gluten free at home. Just makes it easier.

I had one of the tests(not sure what one I am getting a physical in a month and will find out which one) and it was negative for any gluten issue. once I figure out how to use this website I will setup a signature. I can not find the CP.......I have about 20,000 posts on the "Auto forums" so I am sure I will figure this one out......thx again for the help

ravenwoodglass Mentor

You have found one of the best sites there is for info. Before you go gluten light please do get at least a celiac panel done. All first degree relatives of someone diagnosed is advised to do so even if they don't seem to have the typical celiac symptoms. Celiac is genetic and it is common for there to be more than one in a family and with the different presentations that are found with celiac even if you don't have tummy troubles it needs to be ruled out.

NateJ Contributor

Yep AB makes Red Bridge. Its actually really good. Gluten Free made from sorghum.

I live in STL (home of AB) and can get it and almost in grocery store.

There is another called New Grist that is really good also, but harder to find for me.

Its only in a handfull of upscale eating places that I know of around me.

Also, Mike's Hard Lemonade is claiming gluten-free now. Not sure but I drank one the other day when they changed the label

and didn't feel sick at all.

And Woodchuck cider is gluten-free.

Just some other options.

glutenfreeinminnesota Contributor

Yep AB makes Red Bridge. Its actually really good. Gluten Free made from sorghum.

I live in STL (home of AB) and can get it and almost in grocery store.

There is another called New Grist that is really good also, but harder to find for me.

Its only in a handfull of upscale eating places that I know of around me.

Also, Mike's Hard Lemonade is claiming gluten-free now. Not sure but I drank one the other day when they changed the label

and didn't feel sick at all.

And Woodchuck cider is gluten-free.

Just some other options.

I agree about Redbridge! I drink it all the time, and they have it at our new Twins Stadium here in Minnesota! I was so excited, I ordered two as they are only at a few locations around the stadium. I had been drinking them out of the bottle the whole time, and at the game they poured them into a cup. They tasted like real beer!! I actually had three of the people I was with taste it as I was positive I got real beer. Lol...maybe for people who don't like it, they should pour it into a glass!...or maybe after two years of gluten-free my taste buds are playing tricks on me.

Woodchuck is always yummy :)

OhWell Rookie

I agree about Redbridge! I drink it all the time, and they have it at our new Twins Stadium here in Minnesota! I was so excited, I ordered two as they are only at a few locations around the stadium. I had been drinking them out of the bottle the whole time, and at the game they poured them into a cup. They tasted like real beer!! I actually had three of the people I was with taste it as I was positive I got real beer. Lol...maybe for people who don't like it, they should pour it into a glass!...or maybe after two years of gluten-free my taste buds are playing tricks on me.

Woodchuck is always yummy :)

thanks for the great suggestions.......I will happily try each of them :)

lovegrov Collaborator

As for regular beers that are lower gluten (if that's what you end wanting because you don't have celiac), I don't think most of us know what they are. But definitely stay away from any beer that uses wheat.

richard

OhWell Rookie

As for regular beers that are lower gluten (if that's what you end wanting because you don't have celiac), I don't think most of us know what they are. But definitely stay away from any beer that uses wheat.

richard

Thank you :) that is what I wanted, but it was my bad for posting here in the 1st place..or at least without more details!!!!...thanks again......

Skylark Collaborator

I have a friend who eats reduced gluten. She's more sensitive to lectins than traces of gluten. She tolerates light colored beers like Heineken or Corona. I imagine she could drink Bud or Miller but why? LOL! She does not drink stout beers or nut brown ales. They seem to disagree with her.

• 5 years later...
CURTIS C. TAYLOR Newbie

MANY OF US NON-CELIACS ARE ON NO GLUTEN, EXCEPT TRYING TO BE ON VERY LOW GLUTEN FREE BEERS. GLUTEN FREE BEERS TASTE LIKE LIQUID CARDBOARD.

SO WHAT IS THE GLUTEN CONTENT (PPM) TO MEXICAN BEERS??

I HAVE READ THAT CORONA EXTRA OS 10 PPM, BUT WHAT ABOUT CORONA LIGHT OT NEGRA MODELO??

DO YOU HAVE A WEB PAGE TO CHECK??

THANK YOU PC

GFinDC Veteran

Open Original Shared Link

I read somewhere in the past that some of the testing they use for gluten does not accurately test levels of barley gluten.  So the beers made with barley can test low in gluten because the testing doesn't really work for barley.  Elisa test is the one they said is bad I think.  It works for wheat protein, but not barley protein.  So without proper testing, the PPM levels don't mean anything.

Archived