• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
sallyb

Any Groups In Phoenix Az

Rate this topic

Trying to find a group with others that suffer from celiac. Any out there?

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Trying to find a group with others that suffer from celiac. Any out there?

I've heard of this one:

http://phoenixceliac.org/

There's one down in Tucson, too: http://www.southernarizonaceliacsupport.org/

Have you checked out the gluten free bakery up there, or Picazzo's?

http://www.glutenfreecreations.com/

http://www.picazzos.com/

If you need someone to chat with, send me a private message. I'm down just past Tucson, but we head up to Phoenix every once in a while, and I'd be happy to chat. :-)

There are a few support groups that I know of. One in Phoenix, one in I believe Gilbert and one in Fountain Hills.

Here is some info on a meeting this Wednesday in Phoenix that you may want to attend.

This month's program: **THE RESTAURANT TABLE**

When: Sept 7, 2011, starting at 7pm

Who: CDF: Greater Phoenix Chapter Members, Guests & Friends

(INCLUDING: Youth ages 10-19 y/o interested in forming a Youth Group!)

Where: Paradise Valley Retirement Community' s Community Room, 11645 N 25th Place, Phoenix, AZ 85028 (Please park in the street.)

All of us can be very grateful that more & more restaurants are paying greater attention to our gluten-free dining needs. Our September meeting, to be held this coming Wednesday Sept. 7 @ 7PM, will celebrate some of these delicious dining options.

Join us at one of our most popular programs of the year..."The Restaurant Table." Meet representatives from 4 Valley restaurants and learn about their gluten-free menus. Newly invited guest restaurants include:

"The Melting Pot", "Outback Steakhouse", and "Blue Wasabi". And, returning guest "Picazzo's" is excited about sharing information about their new, expanded gluten free menu.

Join fellow CDF-Greater Phoenix Chapter members & friends as we learn about these restaurants' gluten-free options, ask questions about their menus, and gain insights into gluten free dining in general.

If you can, please bring a favorite gluten-free item for our refreshment table to share with fellow attendees and our restaurant guests. Samples of protein drink mixes have been provided by "Growing Naturals"; and, "Jovial Foods" has donated some pasta and filled cookies. For concerns or questions about treats to share, you may contact our Chapter's Activities Chair, Charlene at:

bcerpelding@cox.net

As always, please bring a list of ingredients so that fellow attendees can check for possible food allergies.

AND ANNOUNCING....youth ages 10

I'm in Phoenix, and newly diagnosed. I was literally at the end of my rope with undiagnosed doctors visits. Spent thousands of dollars on doctors, wife divorced me because there was never a diagnosis, lost my job in law enforcement because I was unable to absorb nutrients. Gained about 80 lbs, right in front of my doctor whom I'd been a regular for 15 years. Never once was a suggestion put forth to test for this.

So... Yeah, I'm filthy angry, but also finally have something that I can form closure around.

I have many questions, so I'll have to look into the meetings mentioned above.

Ads by Google:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Maria Jose

• Topics

• Haha, Ennis that's given me no excuse not to make it now!  I've been faffing around about it but now I think I must try it out! They honestly don't sound too hard to do either. The Keto Chocolate frosting I think I can make today if the avocados are ripe enough. I just got some maple sugar and maple syrup (I know I'm bad) but I'll look at the sugar free one. I know I don't feel too well if I eat pure sugar but I couldn't help it. I think I have everything else and it sounds super good. Thanks so much Ennis!!
    • LONG POST incoming I got my cheese sauce recipes compiled and going to throw in my frosting....and yes I normally eat it by the spoon, I make a sugar free version with lakanto. 4 Of my Favorite Cheese sauces
      Will list the ingredients for each one, they all use the exact same cooking method which will follow.
      Super Sticky Mozzarella
      1/2 cup of cashews soaked over night and drained
      1 cup water
      1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
      3 tbsp Tapioca Starch
      1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
      1/4 tsp garlic
      1/2 salt Poor Mans Mozzarella
      3 tbsp coconut flour
      1 cup Unsweetened Plain Cashew or Almond milk (refrigerated version)
      2 1/2 tbsp Tapioca Starch
      2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
      1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
      1/4 garlic powder
      1/4 salt
      1/2 tsp Psyllium husk unflavored Cheddar
      1/2 cup of cashews soaked over night and drained
      1 cup water
      1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
      2 tbsp Tapioca Starch
      1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar bit more if you find the bite lacking and for a sharper one
      1/4 tsp garlic
      1/2 salt
      1 tsp Annatto
      1/2 tsp Psyllium husk unflavored 1. Blend all the ingredients for you cheese flavor very well in a blender
      2. In a sauce pan heat over medium high stirring CONSTANTLY for 5-10 mins. First it will start forming clumps then it will thicken up. Remove from heat and stir a bit longer til it cools to prevent burning. Sometimes I use Lemon Juice in them in place of the vinegar, this really depends on your preference to a more citrus blend or a more bite in your cheese. Any feed back or blends you do with them? Would love to hear about some suggestions for blends. Vegan Queso 10-12 rounds of eggplant, sliced 1/4-inch thick 1 whole egg plant
      spray oil
      1 1/2 cups unsweetened original almond milk (or milk of choice)
      4-6 Tbsp nutritional yeast
      1/2-1 tsp finely minced fresh garlic
      1 to1 1/2 tsp cumin
      1 1/2 tsp chili powder
      1/4 cup chunky medium salsa, slightly drained 1. Slice your eggplant into thin rounds just under 1/2 inch (not quite 1/4 inch), then sprinkle both sides of the flesh with a little sea salt and arrange in a colander to help draw out some of the moisture and bitterness. Let set for 10-15 minutes, then rinse with cool water and thoroughly pat dry between two clean towels.
      2. Preheat oven to high broil and place an oven rack near the top of the oven. Arrange the dried eggplant rounds on a baking sheet lightly spritzed with non-stick spray and spray both sides of the eggplant with a little more oil. Sprinkle with a very small amount of salt.
      3. Broil on high for 2-3 minutes on each side, watching carefully as to not let them burn. Flip at the halfway point to ensure even cooking. Once the eggplant appears tender and both sides have golden brown color, remove from the oven and wrap loosely in foil to steam.
      4. After a few minutes, unwrap and peel the eggplant skin away. It should come right off. If you pack your roasted eggplant into a 1-cup measuring cup, it will be 1 cup.
      5. Place eggplant in a blender with the 1 1/2 cups almond milk, 4 Tbsp nutritional yeast, minced garlic, cumin, chili powder and blend on high until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. I added a pinch more garlic and a little more nutritional yeast. To thin, add more almond milk.
      6. Transfer to a small saucepan and warm over medium to medium heat until slightly thickened and bubbly – about 5 minutes. The longer you go the thicker it will become. (Keep Stirring)
      7. Once hot and thickened, remove from heat and stir in DRAINED salsa or Rotel. Don’t put the liquid in or it will make it runny. Pour into a serving dish and top with a little smoked paprika and hot sauce for flavor/color. (If it looks like it has little clumps in it you need to blend it more) I have had success using both cashew and almond milks for this, I also found adding a tsp of flour like coconut helps with the thickening and richness.I personally like adding a bit of annatto or 2-3 pieces of sun dried tomato when blending to give it a deeper orange color. GOES GREAT with Roasted Orange or Red Bell Pepper This dish was inspired by Baba ghanoush served at a small restaurant in Dallas.

Keto Chocolate frosting
      2 large ripe avocados
      1/2cup cocoa powder
      6-8tbsp Lakanto Sugar Free Maple
      1/4 tsp vanilla extract
      pinch of salt Thin out with a bit of almond milk if needed to desired consistency
      Blend all in a blender or a food processor until completely smooth.

• I remember on here that they are OFTEN grown on something that contains gluten. I watched a video before but I can't remember the details. The thing is they are supposed to be super nutritious and also they just taste really good. They definitely were making me sick about a year ago but I didn't know about the gluten. If I go to the grocery store how can I know? Are there certain kinds that aren't grown with gluten or do I just need to contact the growers?  
    • I never heard of goat butter but I guess I could make it if I had raw goats milk. Which I don't at the moment. I'd have to see if anyone has goat's milk kefir, billions of probotics would be good though! I've heard of ghee but I'll have to look up how to make it. It's interesting that you are okay on those items in moderation even though you can't have cow's milk. I'll have a look around locally and see what there is. I think I did read that when you make cheese or butter (or ghee) it greatly lessons the lactose. If I do try it it will be only really small amounts. Anyways, that's what I wondered, that some people can't have cows milk but can have goats milk products. So that's really interesting to me.
    • I'm not sure if it's lactose. If I experiment and still feel awful from it it might be that. And I want to try making those nut cheeses sometime soon. I ordered some cooking stuff and mesh strainers to try and make almond milk so maybe I'll try making some cheese at the same time. Coconut cheese sounds intriguing. I'll look that up too. Nut butters I over did and then didn't feel so great but that was over 6 months ago so I could try a little and see. I could just start with small amounts. I think too my stomach just couldn't digest fat at all before and it seems like it's a bit better now. Avocado I can do now! I couldn't before and I'm so glad it's back. But I've only sliced it into salads so far so avocado ice cream and guacamole sound crazy good to me right now. Anything I can make ahead and keep for a few days is good too. Avocado frosting - can I eat that just with a spoon? I know the thing about having milk from animals. I don't know if it really helps but when I have had any I try to find somewhere where it's not mass produced. Like there is a family near by that has some goats and you can have milk but they only do that in the spring and summer. The goats seem okay but I know what you mean. And it is pretty weird if you think about it. : (  
  • Upcoming Events