This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New At This-Need Words Of Wisdom

vsferm

vsferm Newbie

Hi,

I was recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease. I was diagnosed a week ago, since then, I have been gluten-free. I have a lot of mixed emotions about all of this. I am not sure how to take it all in. I feel like I've been thrown into a whirlwind and have yet to land. I stop eating and drinking almost everything. I was not sure how to proceed, so I only eat gluten free rice, fresh fruit, fresh meat, and drink only water with crystal light flavoring. Thats it! I went on this website and found out a lot of information but I still don't know where to start. I am having a hard time ajusting with the fact that my life has been flip up side down with this diagnosis.

Early in my teen years, I found that certain foods really effected me, like-most fruits, most veggies, and any kind of nuts, and anything dairy, because they made my tongue itch and my throat hurt and my ears itch, so I avoided them. Then as an adult, I found that my issues were getting worse and worse to the point where I did not eat half the time because of fear of having to go to the bathroom constantly and having really bad stomach pains. I never said anything to anybody, because I didn't want my family to worry. So, I would eat and suffer afterwords and just delt with it. I am now 35yrs old.

It's funny how things work out sometimes because I had a routin check up with my doctor because on top of this I also have ADHD and take meds for it, so anyways, I had told my doctor that I was stomach pains daily and that I was having to constantly go #2, and I was having alot of UTI's, and that there were a lot of foods that I could not eat along with not being able to drink mild or eat dairy products. So, she had me get blood work done and she told me that I had Celiac Disease, go figure.

So, now I am at the point of "What do I do now"

Any advise or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyberprof Enthusiast

vsferm, congratulations on the diagnosis. I know you're still in the shock and disbelief stage but it will get better. And you may find out that your food intolerances get easier to manage or go away, at least mine did.

You are doing this the right way: People here often encourage the newly diagnosed to eat simple meals of meat, cooked veggies, plain rice, plain potatoes. Start simply and then add new foods in one at at time every few days. Potatoes, sweet potatoes, cooked pears, turkey, chicken, rice, beef, fish are good to start with. Zucchini (cooked), spinach cooked, carrots cooked, applesauce can be added in. Things to be careful of are the top allergens (eggs, dairy, soy, corn, nuts, and nightshades - tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, chili powder etc.) I've never heard of anyone being sensitive to non-iodized salt or olive oil so you could add them in too.

Reading here can help you figure out how to avoid gluten and where it lurks. Hormel, Kraft and Unilever brands don't "hide" gluten in spices or flavoring so if the product contains wheat it will say on the label "Allergins: Wheat" or "Allergy information: Contains Soy and Wheat" or whatever. After you get some experience, you'll have a lot of "go-to" foods that can form the basis of your new diet.

Eating out is hard but after you learn more you can learn to manage that too.

Best of luck and ask questions when you need to.

Marilyn R Community Regular

It helps if you pack your lunches for work. It is superbly a pia, but it's better than the pia you get from not planning or packing.

It has helped me to buy a package of romaine lettuce hearts every weekend. I chop and spin them, and stick them in gallon zip lock bags. You can alternate protein (tuna, if you can find it with just tuna and olive oil, (no natural flavorings... which usually means wheat), grilled or baked chicken, steak, fish or other seafood leftovers, grilled or steamed asparagus, hearts of palm, shaved or chopped carrots, chopped olives. Sunflower seeds or nuts if I don't have a leftover protein. And sometimes it's amazing when you add dried or fresh fruit to the salad.

My dressing is always the same. 1/2 squeezed lime and a T. of olive oil.

Since you've been suffering from D you are probably leery of salads. Speaking from my own experience, and of course we are all different, I'd want to add fiber to my diet. (I thought uncontrollable D was horrid until I had really bad constipation after going gluten-free). Again, that doesn't mean that you're on the same road that I was on.

futuredvm24 Rookie

I was just diagnosed last Wednesday myself and I know how you feel about being overwhelmed with information and wondering what to do next. I am sticking to whole foods for awhile and then transitioning in some gluten-free processed products like bread. It's strange knowing that your life is different now. But it's for the best, we will be healthier because of it and I can look forward to that.

BabsV Enthusiast

I've just finished week #4 of being gluten-free. It has been overwhelming and at times I feel like I'm never going to get the hang of it. Then I realize I need to give myself more time...there is a very steep learning curve with all of this and I expect it to get easier as I get used to shopping and cooking. I'm trying to stick to simple natural meals (turkey, chicken, rice, cooked vegetables, some fruits -- baked apples were yummy!) and have added in a few things here and there. I find I feel better if I make sure I have enough protein (meat or beans.) I went out on a limb today and had a small piece of hard cheddar cheese (it was on the list of approved foods and the ingredients didn't include gluten) and it was a mistake. I am still having issues with dairy apparently...although plain non-fat yogurt seems to be ok for me now. Sorry to ramble. From what I've been reading most people on these forums have been where you are at and are doing much better now. It just takes time, maybe more time than we'd like (personally I'd love it if I were back to 100% and full of energy but that hasn't happened yet!), but it will happen.

oceangirl Collaborator

Hi and welcome to the board!

Please keep reading here to obtain information and guidance. Perhaps more veterans will respond but, many of us have found, through many years of trial and error, that we have other sensitivities. Your best bet now is to stay very simple, make all meals from whole foods you prepare and keep a detailed food/symptom log to rout out possible culprits.

In my first 2 years gluten free I also eliminated: soy, legumes, DAIRY, corn, eggs, all replacement grains, nightshades and citrus. This seems extreme, I know, but by keeping a detailed food log for 5 years and only adding in ONE new food item at a time, I have successfully put back into my diet everything but soy and legumes and those simply because I've always had difficulty digesting them. 6 years in, I feel well MOST of the time but I still eat relatively few processed foods and I NEVER eat out. (FULL DISCLOSURE: I found myself to be in that unfortunate category of "super sensitive". That'll teach me to poo-poo the reality of CC and high sensitivity!

I am curious about this thing you call "crystal light"- I would take out ALL processed foods for now until you feel better. YOU CAN DO IT! You may have success with fresh chicken, butternut squash, steak, seafood (unprocessed), cooked veggies (for now-helps with digestion), bananas, sweet potatoes, possible rice but some of us have issues with all grains. I still cannot eat cooked rice but tolerate rice flour well(Tinkyada). You may be able to tolerate a bit of fruit but I'd stick to cooked veggies for now. Many people have to do without dairy while healing but can put it back successfully once healing is underway.

hang in there! you WILL feel better and it is doable!

Good health to you!

lisa

Skylark Collaborator

I feel like I've been thrown into a whirlwind and have yet to land. I stop eating and drinking almost everything. I was not sure how to proceed, so I only eat gluten free rice, fresh fruit, fresh meat, and drink only water with crystal light flavoring. Thats it! I went on this website and found out a lot of information but I still don't know where to start. I am having a hard time ajusting with the fact that my life has been flip up side down with this diagnosis.

I know that whirlwind. I was gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free for a while at first!

If I were you I'd stick to the foods that work until you're felling better. Once a week try adding something new like a different veggie or a gluten-free grain and figure out what you can and can't eat. I bet you find you can tolerate more foods once your intestine heals.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

belive it or not, fiber does help regulate D some, as long as you don't overdo it.

ashleyt Newbie

Hi,

I totally understand the whirlwind. I have been gluten-free for three years and can remember my first few weeks very well. It does get easier...with bumps along the way. Once you are feeling better you will see how much it is worth it. Not sure if your doc talked with you about it or not, but I am one that also suffers from some neuro problems from gluten and through all of my research I have found how much gluten can be a cause of ADHD, so you may even find after time you wont need your meds anymore. I have been able to get off of all medication after my healing started. Stick to it and be happy knowing that you now know what is wrong. That is such a HUGE part of recovery. Good luck and def find yourself a good support system. For many people these forums are just that!

vsferm Newbie

Hi,

Thank you all for the wonderfull advise. I am trying to stay postive but like most of you know there are the good days and the very bad days. It seems to me that only time will tell how fast I'll heal but in the mean time, it is good to know that I have an awsome support group.

On a different note: I was wondering if any of you have had moodyness along with dizziness or becoming lighthead while being gluten-free. The past few days it started happening to me, just a little concerned.

love2travel Mentor

Hi,

Thank you all for the wonderfull advise. I am trying to stay postive but like most of you know there are the good days and the very bad days. It seems to me that only time will tell how fast I'll heal but in the mean time, it is good to know that I have an awsome support group.

On a different note: I was wondering if any of you have had moodyness along with dizziness or becoming lighthead while being gluten-free. The past few days it started happening to me, just a little concerned.

After going gluten free I felt odd for about three weeks. My symptoms included irritability, moodiness, intense hunger, carb cravings, headaches and dizziness. Not that I was incredibly ill, just off - almost like malaise. Some of us do experience gluten withdrawal so it could be possible with you! Feel better soon. :)

AVR1962 Collaborator

Dizziness, depression, foggy thought processes get me from High Fructose as well as glutens. If your gluten diet is tight, you have read every label, and are sure what you have put into your body it could be high fructose which is in BBQ sauce, teryaki sauce, etc.

cougie23 Explorer

Nightshade????? isn't that a poisonous mushroom?!! serously....I'm not trying to be funny! this isn't the first time I've heard this referanced. can you explain what you mean by NIGHTSHADE? I'm/we're new! also can anyone explain what a GAPS diet is/stands for?? keeps popping up and I'm curious!? Sorry to intrude...but thanks!!!

cougie23 Explorer

Hi Vsferm,

I'm new too. As I've found out...when in doubt GOOGLE IT...any question you have, including if it's gluten free or" harmful/safe for Celiacs...sometimes you have to re-word it a little ,but theres all sorts of info...including older threads on Celiacs.com!!! LOL Thats how I found this place to begin with...I kept getting refered back to this site! also if you go to the HOME page (not the forum homepage ) but the real Celiacs.com you'll find a to eat/not to eat list. oh!! got to go...now!!!

mushroom Proficient

Nightshade????? isn't that a poisonous mushroom?!! serously....I'm not trying to be funny! this isn't the first time I've heard this referanced. can you explain what you mean by NIGHTSHADE? I'm/we're new! also can anyone explain what a GAPS diet is/stands for?? keeps popping up and I'm curious!? Sorry to intrude...but thanks!!!

MUSHROOMS? NIGHSHADES? No way. The nightshade family consists of potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, peppers in all their forms including paprika and all chilies, also tomatillos. NOT mushrooms, which are a fungus. :) I am not knowledgeable about the GAPS diet.

cougie23 Explorer

MUSHROOMS? NIGHSHADES? No way. The nightshade family consists of potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, peppers in all their forms including paprika and all chilies, also tomatillos. NOT mushrooms, which are a fungus. :) I am not knowledgeable about the GAPS diet.

Sorry mushroom...

I googled it, and realised I was remembering a referance to bella donna(also a night shade) and also remembering a referance to the deathcap mushroom...I don't know how I keep mixing those two up in my head but this isn't the firat time!!!my mistake :(:rolleyes: SORRY! I didn't realize it was a catogory( sweetpotatoes too?!...wow)...allways learning new things...thanks for educating me :D

cougie23 Explorer

Sorry mushroom...

I googled it, and realised I was remembering a referance to bella donna(also a night shade) and also remembering a referance to the deathcap mushroom...I don't know how I keep mixing those two up in my head but this isn't the firat time!!!my mistake :(:rolleyes: SORRY! I didn't realize it was a catogory( sweetpotatoes too?!...wow)...allways learning new things...thanks for educating me :D

cougie23 Explorer

darn it!! I noticed I made some misspellings (first for example) and tried to edit it....I didn't mean to repost!!!

mushroom Proficient

It's OK Cougie :D And no, sweet potatoes are okay, not a nightshade, so continue to enjoy.

cougie23 Explorer

It's OK Cougie :D And no, sweet potatoes are okay, not a nightshade, so continue to enjoy.

WHEEEEEWWWWWW!!!!!!! glad to hear that! I've been useing sweet potatoes and yams in my stir fry...yummmy yummmy!!! :lol::D

cougie23 Explorer

JAPANESE EGGPLANT? :unsure::huh: ??

mushroom Proficient

JAPANESE EGGPLANT? :unsure::huh: ??

Yep, when it comes to veggies, they don't care where you live or came from :lol:

cougie23 Explorer

Yep, when it comes to veggies, they don't care where you live or came from :lol:

yeah...but can I eat it?!!! It seems to set alright....Whats up with night shades any way...I don't understand???what are they exactly and are they good or bad....I'm getting confused here!Are edible mushrooms ok?....I LOVE cooking with mushrooms! :D

mushroom Proficient

yeah...but can I eat it?!!! It seems to set alright....Whats up with night shades any way...I don't understand???what are they exactly and are they good or bad....I'm getting confused here!Are edible mushrooms ok?....I LOVE cooking with mushrooms! :D

Only you know if you can eat nightshades. They give a lot of people problems, they promote inflammation,and they are high in lectins. But they may not bother you at all. Most people have no problems whatsoever with mushrooms; others do. What you can eat (apart from gluten) will end up being trial and error because we are all so different. By the way, my frugal mother pronounced me to be an extravagant cook because I put mushrooms in EVERYTHING!

cougie23 Explorer

Only you know if you can eat nightshades. They give a lot of people problems, they promote inflammation,and they are high in lectins. But they may not bother you at all. Most people have no problems whatsoever with mushrooms; others do. What you can eat (apart from gluten) will end up being trial and error because we are all so different. By the way, my frugal mother pronounced me to be an extravagant cook because I put mushrooms in EVERYTHING!

Is that why your name and avatar is a mushroom? :D

I put mushrooms in everything too! we love the variety!!! yummy yum!!! :P:P:P

thats good to know about the night shades though...thanks :)

Archived