This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bar Dispenser Gun Cross Contamination Question

MinnesotaCeliac

MinnesotaCeliac Rookie

Is there a possibility for cross contamination when ordering a soda or any beverage dispensed from a bar dispenser gun? All have separate lines until the funnel at the end to dispense the drink into the glass. To my understanding Soda, juice, water and some bar rail alcohol (cheap booze) is usually served this way. So if I order a coke (gluten free) and assuming the glass is clean, would it be possible to have a "glutened" drink because of a non gluten free drink dispensed prior to it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

My thought would be " What would be dispensed from the soda wand that has gluten?"

psawyer Proficient

My thought would be " What would be dispensed from the soda wand that has gluten?"

I can't imagine anything.

Gluten Free Traveller Newbie

I don't think anything from a dispenser gun has gluten..unless they are using the same gun for beer I think we're fine :)

kareng Grand Master

I don't think anything from a dispenser gun has gluten..unless they are using the same gun for beer I think we're fine :)

I don't think you can dispense beer that way. It would be a big foamy mess. Thus saving us from beer cc. :D

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Someone was posting about this elsewhere on the forum and there was reason to believe it could happen easily.

Search and see what you come up with.

kareng Grand Master

Someone could slop beer in your glass, sure. Or the glass wasn't cleaned well. But the soda dispensers have sodas, water and maybe a juice or lemonade. If they squirt out a coke before your Sprite, you might have a few drops of coke in it. But beer isn't dispensed that way, so the soda should be fine.

I think we sometimes just need to think about it. Go up to the bar and ask what comes out of it if you are worried. Ask for a to- go cup or a kiddie cup to be extra safe. Or drink straight potato vodka! :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

T.H. Community Regular

Sometimes a bar tender will touch the end of the dispenser into the drink he's dispensing it into, and that can gluten the end of it, depending what's in the drink.

One I've seen more commonly is the bartender moving a bowl of pretzels out of the way, serving someone a drink, and then touching the rim/inside of a clean glass as he grabs it for the next drink. <_<

I ordered and drank a diet coke yesterday in a bar which they served to me in a pint glass. This made me think back to this post and how we could possibly be contaminated by this. Drinking from a glass normally filled with gluten (beer..)let's hope bars always thoroughly clean their glasses!

mbrookes Community Regular

If you think a bar doesn't clean their glasses, why would you go there? I can think of a lot of things worse than gluten from a dirty glass.

I would never have thought that the bar didn't clean their classes or I would of course not go there. I guess mistakes are made everywhere though. When I started to feel glutenated though itw as the only thing I could think of..

Archived