This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Best Place For Udi Bread

Nor-TX

Nor-TX Enthusiast

I have eaten at Jason's Deli lots of times and love their Udi bread deli sandwiches. The bread is so totally different than the stuff you buy at WF. It is bigger, heavier with a wonderful flavor and texture. It is alot like the old fashioned rye bread I ate as a kid.

When I was there over the weekend for my favorite pastrami sandwich, I happened to ask if they sell the breads. They do! The loaf is 30 ounces, whole grain, gluten free, dairy free, soy free and nut free. It is Kosher and parve. It is made special for Jason's and you cannot purchase it from a store. The pieces are huge. They are about 5 1/4 inches by 4 inches. I would say the loaf is double that of the regular Udi bread and the pieces are thick and substantial. I've tried it toasted and plain and both ways are fantastic. Granted, it is more expensive than the 5.00 little wimpy loaf -it is 11.99, but it is the closest thing to bread heaven. I keep it in the freezer and take out the pieces when I want. I won't ever buy the original Udi bread again. I know this is expensive, but it is so delicious.

Too bad that Udi makes this wonderful product only for Jason's. They could corner the market if they had it for sale everywhere. This really is delicious. The slices are uniform, thick and definitely have earned my vote. Yes, 11.99 is alot of money, but darn it, I'm worth it! Try it and you won't ever buy the regular Udi bread.

Buy the way, you can also buy the gluten free deli meat for 8.99 per pound! There is nothing like a hot pastrami sandwich with hot mustard, dill pickle and chips. :wub:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Wow, thanks for sharing that! I had no idea the slices were bigger. I have been meaning to try eating at Jason's Deli but I avoided it because the thought of paying so much for a tiny little sandwhich I can make myself was depressing. I figured the slices were the same size as the store bought Udi's. Now I will have to check out Jason's Deli!

love2travel Mentor

We have zero delis around here (we aren't known for them on the prairies) but man, that sounds delicious! I would be happy to pay $11.99 for bread like that. When I first tried Udi's bread I was quite desperate and liked it, having just been diagnosed, but now it's just meh to me - basically just a vehicle for my toppings. :huh: Cannot wait until our heat wave is over so I can bake some serious bread. :)

So glad you were successful in finding such a treat!

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Wow! I live across the street from a Jason's Deli and I've never tried eating there because I figure there is too much gluten in there for it to be safe for me. But maybe I can buy a loaf of bread from them! Cool! Thanks for that tip!

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Well I chickened out. We tried to go there about 4 PM yesterday thinking maybe it would not be too busy that early. There was a line out the door however and they had onyl one person on register that looked like she didn't know what she was doing (looked like she was new/being trained). When a guy rushed up front, saw the line, looked frazzled and then ran back to the kitchen yelling that they needed more help up front I decided it was not a good time to wait and see how safe their gluten-free sandwiches are. I felt like a wimp asking my husband to leave but he understood and took me to the grocery store instead. I already had some Rudi's bread at home so we just went and bought lunch meat and veggeis and made out own sandwiches at home. I will still try Jason's Deli sometime however if I can find a day/time to go when they are not super busy. For those that have been there, is this place always super busy like that? I don't mind a small line but the employees looked really stressed out too. It stressed me out too much to want to ask questions about gluten-free bread.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Well, since I'm across the street, I'll answer you. ;)

There are down times, like 2 to 4 when most have already had lunch.

But if there is an event in town...it will be busy all day.

I wish you would of bought a BIG loaf of Udi's bread for your homemade sandwiches! ;)

But I understand completely. I get worried if people are being tained or if the place is rushed too. Please post when you do try Jason's Deli. I know you are super-sensitive and I hope you do alright there.

Archived