This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Eggs Intolerance?!

Februaryrich

Februaryrich Rookie

I seem to be intolerant to eggs along with gluten. I still don't know if it's the eggs but everytime I eat Miracle Whip (mayo dressing), my muscles get tighter and it's almost as if I have been glutened (without the awful neurological symptoms). I was wondering if I was the only one? I always see people with soy and dairy, but what about EGGS?!

:)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Doesn't Miracle Whip have Soy in it??

I thought it did. Just googled and it does have soy.

Basically you can develop an intolerance or allergy to any food.

Shortly after going gluten free, I started reacting to eggs.

There is another thread on egg intolerance/sensitivity...put that in the search box and you will come up with what others have said.

Due to the leaky gut letting food particles through to the bloodstream, it is common for the body to start reacting to other foods. The intolerance may go away and you can start eating the food eventually if it is not a true allergy.

I had to give up eggs, dairy and soy. Every time I test eggs and dairy I get sick again. But I want them back so I test every few months. Soy doesn't seem to make me all that sick, but I avoid it because of Hashimoto's.

Yes, there are many here who can't tolerate eggs...I'm sure other's will post too.

It could be the soy too.

Marilyn R Community Regular

I had allergy skin prick testing because it seemed like everything I stuck in my mouth was making me sick.

I scored a 3 on egg yolks. The more common allergin is egg whites. I didn't have a score on soy, but soy makes me sicker than a dog. The Allergist didn't seem all that surprised, and explained the differences in food allergens and food intolerances. I scored high (4) on a few food items that I never would have guessed were causing me problems. (Turkey, pecans),

But I still eat eggs, just not everyday. If I eat them in moderation and space them out, I'm fine. I've never had a bad

reaction from eggs like I have with Gluten, soy or dairy...but that doesn't mean your experience will be similar.

domesticactivist Collaborator

Do you get the same reaction if you just eat a plain egg? I'm very suspicious of processed products in general.

That said, it's turned out that I have an intolerance to eggs. But my symptoms are nothing like from gluten. I just get potently sulfurous gas!!! I had one bite of a deviled egg and one bite of a brownie made with eggs last week and farted constantly for at least three days.

I'm curious to find out if it is just the yolks that are causing the problem, because with no milk, eggs, or grains it's pretty hard to make anything resembling a pancake, cookie, bread, etc. I'm kind of hoping egg whites are doable.

gluten free overseas Apprentice

My son is intolerant to eggs (as well as gluten and casein). There's really no way to make a quiche or anything like that, so you'll have to pretty much give up the foods where eggs are the main ingredient. However, if you are baking without eggs, there are lots of good substitutes. Ener-G egg replacer is sold at health food stores or whole food stores, and it works great for bread, pancakes etc. Sometimes, I use ground flaxseed and some water (1 T. flaxseed plus 3 Tablespoons hot water--let it sit for a minute or two, it get's all gooey). Sometimes, I use pureed prunes (like babyfood) for things that need to be really gooey like brownies. Applesauce (unsweetened!)is another good substitute for eggs. There are some good cookbooks out there!

If a recipe calls for more 3 or more eggs, it's going to pretty much flop to try to use these substitutes--it only works for recipes that only take one or two eggs.

Good luck!!

domesticactivist Collaborator

I used to do those subs when I had a vegan husband. But now I don't eat flax or the stuff in egg replacer, either. Fruits don't work as leavening or binder, though they are tasty and moist. My partner uses coconut flour a lot and those recipes use at least twice the eggs you'd expect. Usually when the family eats eggs they are used as a protein source, even if fruit worked in a recipe it would not have similar nutritional value. I think I'm out of luck on this one.

cahill Collaborator

I seem to be intolerant to eggs along with gluten. I still don't know if it's the eggs but everytime I eat Miracle Whip (mayo dressing), my muscles get tighter and it's almost as if I have been glutened (without the awful neurological symptoms). I was wondering if I was the only one? I always see people with soy and dairy, but what about EGGS?!

Miracle Whip does have soy (soy oil) in it .

I am intolerant of eggs :( . Of all the things I have had to remove from my diet Eggs have been BY FAR the hardest.

I am gluten and soy free . I do not say that I am egg free even though I do my best to avoid them in my diet.I can tolerate very very small amount of egg in baked product so I will on occasion have Udi's bread.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

I have an IgG allergy to eggs. They give me the big D.

burdee Enthusiast

I had a high moderate reaction to egg whites on an ELISA (blood) test for IgE, IgG and IgA mediated allergies. My egg reaction was an IgG mediated reaction. My husband took the same test and reacted to egg yolks, but not egg whites. My egg reaction explains why I get very ill (nausea, pain) after getting flu shots (which are cultured in eggs). I also react to wines which are 'fined' with egg white. Because I'm also allergic to soy, I make my own mayonnaise from cashews. I use flax meal or egg replacement for baking.

mommida Enthusiast

There are a lot of substitutes for eggs.

Like someone said, don't go chasing after a recipe that takes 3 or more eggs. Some people use tofu in typical "egg" meals. (IMO yuck)

I can't think of the break down of the vinegar & baking soda egg substitute but you can get some lift to baked goods with that. A perfect example is in the "wacky cake" recipe from the depression era (convert with a gluten free flour blend).

I also like to use gelatin as an egg replacer.

By the way my Celiac daughter has an Eosinophilic reaction to eggs. I think my sensitivity to eggs is caused by too much gut damage from Celiac.

Looking for answers Contributor

My son is intolerant to eggs (as well as gluten and casein). There's really no way to make a quiche or anything like that, so you'll have to pretty much give up the foods where eggs are the main ingredient. However, if you are baking without eggs, there are lots of good substitutes. Ener-G egg replacer is sold at health food stores or whole food stores, and it works great for bread, pancakes etc. Sometimes, I use ground flaxseed and some water (1 T. flaxseed plus 3 Tablespoons hot water--let it sit for a minute or two, it get's all gooey). Sometimes, I use pureed prunes (like babyfood) for things that need to be really gooey like brownies. Applesauce (unsweetened!)is another good substitute for eggs. There are some good cookbooks out there!

If a recipe calls for more 3 or more eggs, it's going to pretty much flop to try to use these substitutes--it only works for recipes that only take one or two eggs.

Good luck!!

You can try Chia seeds too...if you soak them for a few minutes they create a gooey gel that makes a decent substitute!

• 4 months later...
biancanera Newbie

I'm allergic to egg yolks myself, but I'm unsure it's gluten related. I know since I was a baby I was allergic to sulfur-based medication as well.

burdee Enthusiast

I no longer have to make my own mayonnaise from cashews. Earth Balance and Veganaise both offer dairy/soy/egg free varieties of mayonnaise. I've used both and the tastes are similar. So I'll buy whichever is the best price next time. So nice to have more egg/soy/dairy free products to sub for egg products.

Archived