This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Finally, A Soft Corn Tortilla Labelled Gluten-Free

The Fluffy Assassin

The Fluffy Assassin Enthusiast

I've been using soft corn tortillas as my bread substitute for ages, since the ingredient list didn't include any gluten ingredients. Recently I found one actually labelled gluten-free: Mission extra thin yellow corn tortillas. Then I lost them. (Publix reorganized their tortilla selections.) So I went out looking, and started reading labels on other soft corn tortillas. Since the last time I undertook this exercise, a lot of brands now specifically say: "Not a gluten-free food" or "Contains wheat." Fortunately, I found the Mission gluten-free-labelled ones again (Publix had moved them, and WalMart has them, too, though in the bread section rather than the Latin food or gluten-free sections). So yaay.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

Strange. I don't have the names of the ones I use, but none of the ones in my store say they contain wheat.

richard

T.H. Community Regular

none of the ones in my store say they contain wheat.

If I remember right, a lot of companyies' corn tortillas share equipment with their flour tortillas, but Mission has a dedicated gluten-free line for its corn tortillas.

lovegrov Collaborator

T.H., I was speaking to the fact that Fluffy had seen corn tortillas that said contains wheat. I'm quite aware that CC is a possibility, but my comment was I had never seen soft corn ones that actually list wheat.

richard

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

T.H., I was speaking to the fact that Fluffy had seen corn tortillas that said contains wheat. I'm quite aware that CC is a possibility, but my comment was I had never seen soft corn ones that actually list wheat.

richard

Someone posted recently about accidently buying ones with wheat flour. They named the brand when asked:

Just because you have never seen it doesn't mean they don't exist or that you should stop checking labels when buying them.

lovegrov Collaborator

Someone posted recently about accidently buying ones with wheat flour. They named the brand when asked:

Just because you have never seen it doesn't mean they don't exist or that you should stop checking labels when buying them.

I don't believe either of my posts suggested that you stop reading labels. I ALWAYS read them.

richard

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I don't believe either of my posts suggested that you stop reading labels. I ALWAYS read them.

richard

I did not say you suggested such a thing. Just putting it out there as a precaution. Some people might be under the impression that certain products never contain gluten. When they are new they may not think to check things like corn tortillas. It's amazing where it can hide.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

modiddly16 Enthusiast

I forget the brad but I remember very recently seeing a corn tortilla that said contained wheat as well! I stood dumbfounded in the store for a little bit. The package had the brand written in cursive but I cannot for the life of me remember!

lovegrov Collaborator

I forget the brad but I remember very recently seeing a corn tortilla that said contained wheat as well! I stood dumbfounded in the store for a little bit. The package had the brand written in cursive but I cannot for the life of me remember!

I would definitely hate to hear that they're starting to put wheat in corn tortillas. I mean seriously, "they" already have their flour tortillas. Oh well, I still always read the ingredients, although after 10 years I have to admit that it's a little easier to forget.

richard

kareng Grand Master

I would definitely hate to hear that they're starting to put wheat in corn tortillas. I mean seriously, "they" already have their flour tortillas. Oh well, I still always read the ingredients, although after 10 years I have to admit that it's a little easier to forget.

richard

That's what I was thinking! Leave our corn tortillas alone!

The weird thing is that there weren't any wheat ingredients. There was just an additional note in all-caps: CONTAINS WHEAT. And the other one, without any gluten ingredients listed, said, "This is not a gluten-free product." Appears that companies are recognizing their cross-contamination but instead of figuring out how to ensure what should naturally be a gluten-free product is in fact such, instead think, "Dang! Somebody might sue us if they rely on the ingredients list and then get sick!" and so put these warnings on. Seems like the more traditional "Made in a facility that also handles gluten" would be sufficient, but go figure.

richard

I returned to Mart of Wal, but to a different location, this one with a much smaller selection of soft corn tortillas. This time, the only one with a gluten warning was... theirs: Walmart Great Value soft corn tortillas said they might contain traces of wheat or soy. However, I found a couple more labeled (Hmmm; spell check is pretty relaxed around here:)) gluten free: Guerrero; and Pepito (also from Mission). So yaaay again.

I'm sorry that I don't have sufficient time on my hands to go looking again. I'm pretty sure it wasn't my imagination that at least one brand of soft corn tortillas was labeled "Contains wheat" while at least one said "Not a gluten free food." But it's fair to say that it's better to go with the ones labeled "Gluten free."

T.H. Community Regular

There was just an additional note in all-caps: CONTAINS WHEAT. And the other one, without any gluten ingredients listed, said, "This is not a gluten-free product."

Sometimes it may be a processing ingredient that has direct contact, so it'll be in the product more than accidental cc, but since it's no officially an ingredient, it doesn't have to be listed as such. This would be for things like adding flour to the molds used to shape the tortillas so they don't stick to the equipment.

I always wondered why corn starch wouldn't work better for that sort of thing (maybe it clogs the machines more? costs more?). They'd certainly pick up more customers that way, as anyone buying the product certainly isn't going to have trouble with corn, yeah?

Archived