This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Perfect Gluten-Free White/sandwich Bread

MerrillC1977

MerrillC1977 Apprentice

...and subbed a 1/4 cup coconut flour for 1/2 c KA flour (coconut flour swells to almost dbl it's size...

Ooh, I am excited to try it with some coconut flour now. :) Thanks for the tip!!!

The Bob's Red Mill page re: coconut flour says: "You can replace up to 20% of the flour called for in a recipe with Coconut Flour, adding an equivalent amount of additional liquid to the recipe."

Did you add any extra liquid to the recipe?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I'm making this right now! It's rising in my warm oven. :D

Just some notes for those that asked about not having a stand mixer: I started out mixing it by hand and then when I realized it was not a very hard dough but more of a thick batter I used my little hand mixer (a cheapy one bought on a black friday deal, LOL) to mix it up more thouroughly. This dough/battr is almost identical in thickness/texture to the King Arthur's gluten-free pizza recipe on their blog. So if you have made that pizza crust with your hand mixer (I have) you can do the same with this bread dough and not worry about it burning up the mixer. It really needs a mixer however to get it smooth. Mixing by hand for several minutes I still had lumps of flour in the batter. The KA blog for the pizza crust recipe says that you need a mixer and it won't work by hand mixing. I tend to think this would be the same for this bread recipe. So if you don't have a mixer you may want to at least get a cheap one for this recipe.

OP you did not say how long to let it rise but I'm assuming about an hour? I set a time for a hour for the rise. I'll get back to y'all after I bake it :)

Just checked on my bread and in only 40 minutes it rose OVER the edge of the pan and was oozing onto my oven floor. Fortunately I caught it before there was too big of a mess. I transfered the loaf pan toa cookie sheet and moved my oven racks around so it won't hit the upper racks or the top of the oven if it rises too high during baking. I have high hopes for this loaf now. :lol:

I'm just waiting for my oven to preheat and then into the fun begins! :)

Well it's in the oven! I should note that I used a 2.5 by 8.5 inch glass pyrex loaf pan. I had greased th epan with palm shortening. The batter was about an inch below the lip when I poured it into the pan so I thought it was big enough but next time I will either make two shorter loaves or use a bigger pan.

Mizzo Enthusiast

Ooh, I am excited to try it with some coconut flour now. :) Thanks for the tip!!!

The Bob's Red Mill page re: coconut flour says: "You can replace up to 20% of the flour called for in a recipe with Coconut Flour, adding an equivalent amount of additional liquid to the recipe."

Did you add any extra liquid to the recipe?

I didn't add extra liquid only because it was 1/4 cup , actually it was a little less than that because I addded a tbs of flax meal to make it 1/4 c. It seemed fine without more liquid.

MerrillC1977 Apprentice

OP you did not say how long to let it rise but I'm assuming about an hour? I set a time for a hour for the rise. I'll get back to y'all after I bake it :)

I let it rise until it was an inch or two shorter than I wanted the finished loaf to turn out (it rises another inch or two while actually baking). I didn't watch the clock, but it was maybe 30 minutes? I like to let mine rise until it's above the top of the pan at least.

I let it rise until it was an inch or two shorter than I wanted the finished loaf to turn out (it rises another inch or two while actually baking). I didn't watch the clock, but it was maybe 30 minutes? I like to let mine rise until it's above the top of the pan at least.

I let mine rise way too long then! It ended up spilling over the sides more while int eh oven. I just took it out of the oven and it sank in the middle a little. It smells wonderful however! I had to cut the top spilled part off to get it out of the pan. So I cut into it while still warm and put some Earth Balance on it. I probably should have waited longer for it to cool. It sank a little more when I cut into it.

Mines not a pretty loaf like the one in the picture but I have to report this is the BEST gluten-free white bread I have made. If you loved soft, wonderbread type white bread this is the bread for you. It's very soft, at least right out of the oven. It's been almost 2 year since I've had regualr bread but this tastes very similar to what I remember. I'll be makign this again for sure. I just need to buy a bigger loaf pan and not let it rise so much.

Thank you for sharing Merrill!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Simona19 Collaborator

All this week I have been sick. I have upper respiratory infection. My asthma is bad too. In the morning I didn

Simona19 Collaborator

I read the recipe one more time. Sorry for the question.

It's late and I will bake this bread tomorrow. I have fever again.

All this week I have been sick. I have upper respiratory infection. My asthma is bad too. In the morning I didnt felt good, but I checked all replies as they were arriving in my mail-box.

From 5 PM I was running all over my town because I decided that I want to make this bread too. Finally I found it in Kings. I paid for it $10.69. I was staring on it for wail. I didnt want to get it, but I sad it to myself- What the hell, I will try it.

Its 6:30 PM. Finally Im home.

Question: What type of attachment did you use for this bread?

Simona, I hope you feel better soon. We are fighting colds here in our house too. It was nice to have this bread to eat and not have to worry about cooking. I made a sandwich for my husband last night and he said to me, "Are you sure this is gluten-free bread?" Today there is only a couple pieces left, but it is still soft just like Merrill said it would be. This a very easy recipe and whatever attachment you use will probably be fine. I just would not use a whisk attachment. I used plain beaters on my hand mixer. It will be like a thick batter, not a formable dough like your challah recipe.

MerrillC1977 Apprentice

All this week I have been sick. I have upper respiratory infection. My asthma is bad too. In the morning I didn

Simona19 Collaborator

I just put my bread into a pan and now I'm waiting for it to rise. The dough is sticky.

I used only two cups of King's Arthur flour and another 1/2 cup I made myself - 2 Tbsp. of white rice flour, 2 Tbsp. of brown rice flour, 2 Tbsp. of potato starch and 2 Tbsp. of Tapioca starch. All these ingredients were in King's Arthur flour mix and I added equal parts from all of them.

This bread looks to me like the Udi's bread. It's very expensive -for me. I can buy the Udi's bread fresh for $4.99. It's small, but fresh and pretty cheep. I bought just King's Arthur flour for $10.69 and I can even make two loafs from it. If I will count all additional ingredients, then this bread will cost much more.

I hope that I will make the perfect loaf like you have in your picture. We will see. I need another half hour until it will be ready for an oven.

Sam'sMom Apprentice

Depending on where you live, Amazon has this product for 6.74 a box and is eligible for free shipping. I just paid 8.99 and was thinking the same thing about it not being cheaper to make it. That was my original goal, was to make eating gluten free bread cheaper.

Mizzo Enthusiast

I just put my bread into a pan and now I'm waiting for it to rise. The dough is sticky.

I used only two cups of King's Arthur flour and another 1/2 cup I made myself - 2 Tbsp. of white rice flour, 2 Tbsp. of brown rice flour, 2 Tbsp. of potato starch and 2 Tbsp. of Tapioca starch. All these ingredients were in King's Arthur flour mix and I added equal parts from all of them.

This bread looks to me like the Udi's bread. It's very expensive -for me. I can buy the Udi's bread fresh for $4.99. It's small, but fresh and pretty cheep. I bought just King's Arthur flour for $10.69 and I can even make two loafs from it. If I will count all additional ingredients, then this bread will cost much more.

I hope that I will make the perfect loaf like you have in your picture. We will see. I need another half hour until it will be ready for an oven.

$10.69 is ridiculous!!!! That's insane I wouldn't buy it either . I would definitely buy fresh and already made for $4.99 instead.

Maybe you can shop around, I can buy KA fLour at a store 10 miles from me for $4.99 so it's worth it to me but not you.

BTW are you in Colorado, they seem to have all the bakeries with fresh Udi's :)

Simona19 Collaborator

Here is my bread - how I pulled out from oven.

2i0dvee.webp

I just slice it and it's very, very soft. It's also very fluffy. Just like you sad looks like the Wonder bread. Nice.

2wqew7s.webp

It's a great bread recipe.

I know that on Amazon you can get cheeper things, but I didn't want to wait for it.

Simona19 Collaborator

$10.69 is ridiculous!!!! That's insane I wouldn't buy it either . I would definitely buy fresh and already made for $4.99 instead.

Maybe you can shop around, I can buy KA fLour at a store 10 miles from me for $4.99 so it's worth it to me but not you.

BTW are you in Colorado, they seem to have all the bakeries with fresh Udi's :)

I'm in New Jersey close to Westfield where I can get it for $4.99 in Trade's Joe and few miles further I can get all their products fresh in Whole foods for $4.99-$5.66 - cinnamon bagels, bread, white, multi-grain bread, hamburger buns,and rolls. I'm lucky.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I have this bread dough rising right now. It's just even with the sides of the pan, so a bit more to go. This is my first time making bread ever! :D

I got the KA flour (240z) at Meijer's grocery store for $5.99. There was enough flour to make the loaf plus some left over. I didn't measure, but it looks like maybe there's at least 1cup or so left?

I didn't care for Udi's. Maybe it's because I haven't eaten white bread since 2005? We switched to whole wheat, or seven grain, etc. back then.

I'm anxious to put this in the oven.

Katrala Contributor

I made this yesterday and just had a piece of it with dinner.

It's great!

Very similar to the Land O'Lakes bread (minus the butter.)

Mine did also sink some in the middle and the cooking time was about 15 min less than what was listed as the minimum, but overall it turned out well!

Simona19 Collaborator

I made this yesterday and just had a piece of it with dinner.

It's great!

Very similar to the Land O'Lakes bread (minus the butter.)

Mine did also sink some in the middle and the cooking time was about 15 min less than what was listed as the minimum, but overall it turned out well!

I kept mine for 60 minutes on 375F. It sink very little. My husband also liked this bread very much. He told me: "This is the bread that I have been waiting for".

Everybody had 2 slices of bread with salami and cheese for dinner. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I will cook dinner little later because right now nobody is hungry.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

My bread turned out beautiful. This is a great recipe. Thanks SO much for posting it! :D:D:D

MerrillC1977 Apprentice

Oh my goodness where are you buying your flour??? I get a box at my local supermarket (Market Basket in the New England area) for only $3.99, making this homemade bread WAY cheaper than what I'd pay for that miniscule loaf of Udi's at the same store. :(

Sam'sMom Apprentice

Yay - can't wait to make it. I guess I do have a question to the poster of the recipe - have you ever added anything to make it more healthy, such as flax meal or almond meal or anything like that? And if so, how would you sub things in? Sometimes I get so excited when I find a bread that even remotely works, but then I realize there isn't much nutrition and am never sure how to add it without ruining stuff.

Simona19 Collaborator

Oh my goodness where are you buying your flour??? I get a box at my local supermarket (Market Basket in the New England area) for only $3.99, making this homemade bread WAY cheaper than what I'd pay for that miniscule loaf of Udi's at the same store. :(

I know, it

MerrillC1977 Apprentice

Yay - can't wait to make it. I guess I do have a question to the poster of the recipe - have you ever added anything to make it more healthy, such as flax meal or almond meal or anything like that? And if so, how would you sub things in? Sometimes I get so excited when I find a bread that even remotely works, but then I realize there isn't much nutrition and am never sure how to add it without ruining stuff.

I have not yet. Sorry. But I see no reason why nuts, seeds, spices, etc. can't be added.

Simona19 Collaborator

I just went on A... and the King's Arthur multi purpose flour is there for $9.99 per box.

Archived