This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pie Crust

sariesue

sariesue Explorer

Last night I tried to make an apple pie using the gluten free pantry pie crust. It didn't come out too well, what I made looks like a pie and kinda tastes like a pie but was really dry with a funny texture/aftertaste. I was kinda disappointed. Does anyone know of either a better mix or have a good recipe?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lpellegr Collaborator

This recipe is really good - gluten-eaters can't tell the difference.

Vinegar Pastry by Betty Hagman. This makes two crusts.

1 c white rice flour

3/4 c tapioca flour

3/4 c cornstarch

1 t xanthan gum

3/4 t salt

1 T sugar

Combine all of the above. Cut into it: 3/4 c shortening.

Blend together:

1 egg, lightly beaten

1T vinegar

Add this to the flour mixture.

Add ice water, 1 T at a time, and toss with a fork until it holds together when squeezed without being crumbly or sticky. Divide in 2 and wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 min. At this point you can freeze it.

Roll out between pieces of rice-floured wax paper or plastic wrap, remove the top one and invert into the pie plate. Finish and bake as usual for your pie recipe. Bake all the scraps as well, spread them with jelly, and pretend they're pop tarts. A frozen ball of this stuff keeps pretty well, so you can make a pie now and one a few months from now.

sariesue Explorer

Thanks you. I miss the ease of pie making with the premade pillsbury pie crust.

Reba32 Rookie

I've used the coconut flour pastry recipe in the Cooking with Coconut Flour cookbook, it's a bit tricky, but it made really good strawberry rhubarb pie! :)

Roda Rising Star

This recipe is really good - gluten-eaters can't tell the difference.

Vinegar Pastry by Betty Hagman. This makes two crusts.

1 c white rice flour

3/4 c tapioca flour

3/4 c cornstarch

1 t xanthan gum

3/4 t salt

1 T sugar

Combine all of the above. Cut into it: 3/4 c shortening.

Blend together:

1 egg, lightly beaten

1T vinegar

Add this to the flour mixture.

Add ice water, 1 T at a time, and toss with a fork until it holds together when squeezed without being crumbly or sticky. Divide in 2 and wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 min. At this point you can freeze it.

Roll out between pieces of rice-floured wax paper or plastic wrap, remove the top one and invert into the pie plate. Finish and bake as usual for your pie recipe. Bake all the scraps as well, spread them with jelly, and pretend they're pop tarts. A frozen ball of this stuff keeps pretty well, so you can make a pie now and one a few months from now.

This Pie crust is FANTASTIC! This is the first gluten free pie crust I made and just last month! :lol: I was afraid of making one because I didn't want all that work and it turn out gross. So for the past three years I just didn't make any pies. :( I didn't have any white rice flour so I used brown rice flour with some buckwheat flour added in instead. My kids and husband loved it as well! I only needed one crust for a pumpkin pie. I took the rest of the dough, rolled it out, smeared butter/brown sugar/cinnamon, rolled it up and sliced it up and baked the little pinwheels. Yummy! I hadn't had those in a long time. It took me back to my childhood when my mom would let me make them out of the leftover pie crust. I also sucessfully made homemade "pop tarts" out of the crust. I made them with cinnamon/sugar and blackberry and strawberry preserves. When cool I made a real thick powdered sugar glaze and frosted the tops and it hardened on them. They were a big hit too.

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

Not what you asked for, but maybe helpful anyway...

We eat a lot of crustless pumpkin pies because we like pumpkin pie so much. You just make the regular old Libby's pie recipe and pour it into a pie pan to bake as usual. Once cooled (at least mostly cooled) the pieces come out just like they would with a crust. I'm the only one who likes crust in our family anyway, so this is a no-brainer for our every other week pumpkin pies in the fall. I've also made a toasted almond crust by toasting almonds on stove top, grinding in food processor, adding sugar and melted butter. It's excellent for cheesecake but is also wonderful in place of graham cracker crusts for pies that call for that kind of crust.

Reba32 Rookie

I make crustless pumpkin pie all the time, I actually prefer it that way now :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived