• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Bayer Low Dose Aspirin Gluten Free?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

richieroman    1

Hi all:

This is my 1st post ever on a social website so please forgive me if I have done anything incorrectly.

I was diagnosed with celiac disease back in 1990 confirmed by a biopsy of my small intestine. I am now 60 years of age, and my regular physician has recommended I start taking a daily low dose aspirin.

I checked the Bayer website, and their low dose aspirin has 4 lines of separate chemical inactive ingredients, while the regular 325 mg aspirin has only a few inactive ingredients. I called Bayer and inquired if their aspirin products were gluten free and was informed that they do not add gluten to their product....however they cannot guarantee their products are gluten free as some of the ingredients may be processed in facilities that also process gluten. Can anyone help in answering whether these products are safe, and if not can any other substitutes be recommended. Thank you in advance.

Richard Romano

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

JoshB    1

It's fine. Almost no one uses gluten or even wheat starch as a binder now, so there's nothing to cross contaminate with. Besides if any manufacturing facility is going to have good protocols against cross contamination on a processing line, it's a pharmaceutical plant.

psawyer    686

Hi, Richard, and welcome to the board.

The reply you received is very common from mainstream companies. They purchase their ingredients from their suppliers, but don't test them to see if they were contaminated with gluten prior to arriving at their plant. Since they don't test, they "cannot guarantee" anything.

I would use the product without hesitation.

• Upvote 1

richieroman    1

Thank you both Peter and Josh for your fast responses...I will now go ahead and use this product with confidence. Interesting to note Peter that what you said in your post is almost exactly word for word what I was told over the phone by a company representative. Thank you again.

Richard

• Upvote 1

yourwrong    0
On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2011 at 3:41 PM, JoshB said:

It's fine. Almost no one uses gluten or even wheat starch as a binder now, so there's nothing to cross contaminate with. Besides if any manufacturing facility is going to have good protocols against cross contamination on a processing line, it's a pharmaceutical plant.

You are wrong. And I am surprised anyone would listen to anything you have to say. Bayer Aspirin.  the products are produced in a facility that may also process gluten, and could be made on the same equipment as gluten-containing products. So if you have celiacs you will get sick.

Ads by Google:

kareng    1,975
28 minutes ago, yourwrong said:

You are wrong. And I am surprised anyone would listen to anything you have to say. Bayer Aspirin.  the products are produced in a facility that may also process gluten, and could be made on the same equipment as gluten-containing products. So if you have celiacs you will get sick.

You are responding, rather rudely, to someone from 2011.  In 6 years products may have changed.  However, the poster is correct  that wheat starch is seldom used.  If a person is worried about a medication they can call the company and inquire.  You do not seem to have any actual info from Bayer to share.  This appears to be your own assumptions.

Even if the factory were to make a different medication on the same machinery, they would be thoroughly cleaned between runs.  Especially something as sensitive  as medication.  They can not run the risk that a different medication is present in the aspirin.  

Edit - just checked the website for Bayer Aspirin - they list corn starch for most products.  No other starches listed

Edited by kareng
  • Upvote 1

Hinks12369    0
On 9/22/2011 at 0:19 PM, richieroman said:

Hi all:

This is my 1st post ever on a social website so please forgive me if I have done anything incorrectly.

I was diagnosed with celiac disease back in 1990 confirmed by a biopsy of my small intestine. I am now 60 years of age, and my regular physician has recommended I start taking a daily low dose aspirin.

I checked the Bayer website, and their low dose aspirin has 4 lines of separate chemical inactive ingredients, while the regular 325 mg aspirin has only a few inactive ingredients. I called Bayer and inquired if their aspirin products were gluten free and was informed that they do not add gluten to their product....however they cannot guarantee their products are gluten free as some of the ingredients may be processed in facilities that also process gluten. Can anyone help in answering whether these products are safe, and if not can any other substitutes be recommended. Thank you in advance.

Richard Romano

I found out the hard way Bayer aspirin made me sick!  Walgreens has gulten free aspirin low dose to!