This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tomato Sauces Gluten Free?

S2011V

S2011V Newbie

I'm new to all this and am in the beginning stages of finding out whether I have this or not. Doc appt is scheduled soon.

Is Hunts' Tomato Sauce Gluten Free?? I want pasta really badly but can't find anything to make sure it is!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

First, don't go gluten-free until you have had all your celiac testing done! This is really important! You must be eating a normal amount of gluten for the tests to work. Once you have had bloodwork and possibly had an endoscopy and biopsy, you can go off gluten.

To answer your original question, it's rather rare to find gluten in tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce. Hunt's brand is made by ConAgra. ConAgra has committed to declaring wheat, oats, barley, or rye on the ingredient labels, even if they appear in "natural flavors". If you don't see the words wheat, oat, barley, or rye on the can of tomato sauce it is safe. (Oats don't have gluten naturally but they often have wheat commingled in the field, plus some celiacs are sensitive to them.)

ConAgra, General Mills, Kraft, Unilever, Sara Lee and other major brands have committed to declaring gluten. Here is a page with some well-researched info.

Open Original Shared Link

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Read the whole label on the sauces. Some that have 'meat' flavoring will list wheat in them or have it in the allergen statement but most are gluten free. As previous poster stated do not go gluten free until all your testing is done. Then no matter what the results give the diet a strict try as false negatives are not uncommon.

• 5 years later...
LilyR Rising Star

I make my own pasta sauces and often use tomato products in other recipes.  I make my pasta sauce by using a big can of Pastene ground, peeled tomatoes.  And when reading the ingredients it even says "gluten free" after it. I used to add a can of Hunts tomato paste and a can or two of water to the Pastene ground, peeled tomatoes. But I am waiting to find out if I have celiac, and so not sure if I dare use the tomato paste or not.  The ingredients are pretty simple and my only question was is there gluten in citric acid, but from what I read online, there shouldn't be any gluten in that, even if it was (rare) made with wheat, because it's processed in a way where any gluten would be gone from it.  So the Hunts tomato paste seems okay (even though their ConAgra website does not list it at gluten-free).  So I think this weekend I am going to try making some pasta sauce the way I usually do, with the paste added to the peeled, ground tomatoes.  

My thing is I am trying to find a tomato sauce (not a pasta sauce, but just a plain tomato sauce) with no gluten.  There is "natural flavoring" on the ingredients in the Hunts tomato sauce, and they do not list tomato sauce as one of their gluten-free foods (scroll down to see their list, and it says it excludes the pastes and sauces Open Original Shared Link).  

But Skylark might have more info than me because I am a newbie to gluten-free eating, as I just starting looking into it the past week.  

Skylark, do you use the Hunts tomato sauce, and feel fine?  I would love to be able to use it. I am making stuffed peppers next week and usually pour tomato sauce on top. I also like using the tomato sauce in some soups.  

Does anyone here use Hunts tomato sauce?  Not their pasta sauces, but the plain tomato sauce in the can, and you feel fine?

Victoria1234 Experienced
56 minutes ago, LilyR said:

I make my own pasta sauces and often use tomato products in other recipes.  I make my pasta sauce by using a big can of Pastene ground, peeled tomatoes.  And when reading the ingredients it even says "gluten free" after it. I used to add a can of Hunts tomato paste and a can or two of water to the Pastene ground, peeled tomatoes. But I am waiting to find out if I have celiac, and so not sure if I dare use the tomato paste or not.  The ingredients are pretty simple and my only question was is there gluten in citric acid, but from what I read online, there shouldn't be any gluten in that, even if it was (rare) made with wheat, because it's processed in a way where any gluten would be gone from it.  So the Hunts tomato paste seems okay (even though their ConAgra website does not list it at gluten-free).  So I think this weekend I am going to try making some pasta sauce the way I usually do, with the paste added to the peeled, ground tomatoes.  

My thing is I am trying to find a tomato sauce (not a pasta sauce, but just a plain tomato sauce) with no gluten.  There is "natural flavoring" on the ingredients in the Hunts tomato sauce, and they do not list tomato sauce as one of their gluten-free foods (scroll down to see their list, and it says it excludes the pastes and sauces Open Original Shared Link).  

But Skylark might have more info than me because I am a newbie to gluten-free eating, as I just starting looking into it the past week.  

Skylark, do you use the Hunts tomato sauce, and feel fine?  I would love to be able to use it. I am making stuffed peppers next week and usually pour tomato sauce on top. I also like using the tomato sauce in some soups.  

Does anyone here use Hunts tomato sauce?  Not their pasta sauces, but the plain tomato sauce in the can, and you feel fine?

We use hunts tomato sauce and I haven't had an issue in many years. Meaning, I've never had an issue. And early on I was sensitive to foods that should have been fine!

pschwab Enthusiast

Prego traditional says gluten free on the container

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Red Gold, and Muir Glen are both gluten-free. ONLY 2 brands I trust, I also buy unsalted versions.  I make my own pasta, pizza, salsa, BBQ sauces, I have to make mine lower carb, no olive oil, no sugars. I use stevia in sweet sauces, I water them down by 50% with water then add konjac flour to thicken it into a sauce to reduce sugar carbs per serving, and use seasonings from Spicly organics. I really do suggest experimenting with their pasta seasoning, and the burger/steak one. The burger and steak one makes a BBQ sauce that taste like A1 when blended with roasted tomatoes, molasses (or extract), and a sweetener.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LilyR Rising Star
On 7/5/2017 at 5:28 PM, Victoria1234 said:

We use hunts tomato sauce and I haven't had an issue in many years. Meaning, I've never had an issue. And early on I was sensitive to foods that should have been fine!

Thanks so  much for that info.  I just bought some the other day, but was worried about whether to try it.  Since I am only gluten-free a week now and still having symptoms, I hate to risk trying a "maybe" food, you know? I did also buy a can of Market Basket brand tomato puree in case I couldn't use the Hunts tomato sauce.  It only had like tomatoes and I think citric acid in the ingredients.  

Archived