• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.
  • Celiac.com Sponsor:
    Celiac.com Sponsor:

Multiple Sclerosis

2 posts in this topic

Does anyone know of a MS Forum that is similar to this one? I figured since they were both autoimmune diseases , and I have already gotten so much good info from all you people, it was worth a shot - thx

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

have you tried looking thru the MS Society websites?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    LAG

•  

• Topics

• Thank you! ive never just called a doctor and ask for a particular test... how do you do this? Do you have to convince them it's necessary first? i would love for these symptoms to resolve, as I've had a lot of them my whole life. Until I read a lot here, I never thought they weren't just, well, normal.
    • What would be helpful, Victoria, is to have a full thyroid panel done because you cannot diagnose anyone with Hashi's without a full panel.  It is more important to see what the actual hormone levels are than the TSH. Those would be Free T3 and T4.  You can have low hormone levels and normal TSH.  Your TSH is not too bad but if it starts to climb any higher, that would be cause for concern for Hashi's.  At least your lab seems to use the newer ranges for testing.  Many labs use outdated ranges that go to 5.00 for a cutoff. When my TSH was a 7, I could barely drag myself out of bed in the morning. I have Hashi's and your symptoms are a laundry list for it and Hashi's is very common with Celiac Disease.  You can start having Hashi's symptoms long before the blood work goes off.......like Celiac.
    • With the 3 positives that you have, Jenna, you have Celiac Disease. Positive tTg and EMA is a slam dunk. At this point, if you do the biopsy, you don't need it for diagnosis.  It will be to check for extent of damage.  Considering your health issues, it's pretty apparent you have a gluten problem anyway. Congratulations on figuring out your problem.  Now you can sit back and watch how amazing it will be when many of your problems resolve or improve dramatically. I had the same positives you did and declined the biopsy. 3 years after I was diagnosed, all my symptoms were gone but I do have other AI issues which are not, but they are much, much better just from going gluten free.  Be optimistic this will happen for you also!
    • I'm not sure what you mean by score, but her testing at the Mayo Clinic looks like what they describe in the Mayo Clinic link I included.  The posted results are in reverse order of the actual testing. Testing started with total IgA (for some strange reason labeled "Celiac disease, cascade" and does not include units).  It was within the normal range listed in the Mayo link under "Reference Testing" so testing continued with TTG IgA.  Jenna3, the total IgA is to ensure that the results of the rest of the IgA  tests are valid.  It is looking at total IgA antibody, not celiac antibodies. TTG IgA was a weak positive so testing continued with EMA IgA and Gliadin IgA which per the Mayo website is the deamidated gliadin peptides.  It looks like there should be an EMA titer reported. Hope this helps.
    • I second the request for a falafel recipe!
  • Upcoming Events