This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Wonderful Things About Eating Gluten Free

UKGail

UKGail Rookie

Many of us are using the board to for support in adjusting to a gluten free diet and for help in figuring out problems which seem to accompany the diagnosis. I thought perhaps it might cheer everyone up to take a moment to think about something, whether big or small, which helps make all the hard work worthwhile.

For me, and as I sit here typing at my keyboard, I keep marvelling about my nails (yes it is a personal vanity moment...) After 6 weeks gluten free I now have long nails which are strong and are not breaking, splitting or peeling. As someone who is used to curling up her hands to hide short, tatty nails, this is a complete novelty! I think I might even treat myself to a manicure to celebrate.

Has anyone else any happy moments they would like to share?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BabsV Enthusiast

As of today I am 8 weeks gluten free and am enjoying the fact that my abdominal pain issues (which were almost debilitating) are drastically improved, my energy levels are increasing and my brain fog is clearing. All this means I can function at an almost 'normal' level of activity...going to the grocery store or walking the dog no longer kills me for the rest of the day. IT IS AWESOME! :)

Jnkmp8 Newbie

Hi

What a fab idea--- after months of DH& gastro problems, by body is pretty much in recovery on a superficial level... I have long strong nails for the first time too!!! Woohoo-- just becareful of manicure products!!! Jessica are apparently gluten-free-- enjoy! Xx

Reba32 Rookie

I am quite happy that the noxious gas problems are all gone :D

Jnkmp8 Newbie

Lol I bet everyone else is too--- if it's anything like mine was!!! 

missy'smom Collaborator

At 5 yrs? gluten-free, I am greatful that my kiddo(13) finally gets to have a mom(after 10 yrs of being sick) with more energy to keep up with him and ability to be more fully present.

wheeleezdryver Community Regular

At just over 1 year gluten-free, I am thankful that:

I can eat dairy with no problem.

I almost never have cold sores any more.

The rashes on my arms and hands are almost completely gone, especially during the summer sun exposure time... (not DH, I believe, but most defniately gluten related!).

I almost never have bladder pain any more.

I don't walk into walls--- unless I'm REALLY tired (ataxia)

I get to eat all the gluten-free goodies i want, especailly KinniToos! :)

Chronic constipation is getting better :)

still waiting for the lines in my nails and my fructose issues to go away, but I'm so glad to be so much better that I was a year ago!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AVR1962 Collaborator

At 5 yrs? gluten-free, I am greatful that my kiddo(13) finally gets to have a mom(after 10 yrs of being sick) with more energy to keep up with him and ability to be more fully present.

I think this is great and I understand exactly what you are saying.

AVR1962 Collaborator

At 5 months gluten-free I have noticed my skin tone has improved! I have more energy and ambition! I have been back to exercising now for a week.....walking, lifting weights and short jogs.....feels awesome to be able to do once again. I am actually hearing myself laugh again which is wonderful! It almost feels like I am just beginning to enjoy life, a new life!!

Cinderella64 Newbie

At just over 1 year gluten-free, I am thankful that:

I can eat dairy with no problem.

I almost never have cold sores any more.

The rashes on my arms and hands are almost completely gone, especially during the summer sun exposure time... (not DH, I believe, but most defniately gluten related!).

I almost never have bladder pain any more.

I don't walk into walls--- unless I'm REALLY tired (ataxia)

I get to eat all the gluten-free goodies i want, especailly KinniToos! :)

Chronic constipation is getting better :)

still waiting for the lines in my nails and my fructose issues to go away, but I'm so glad to be so much better that I was a year ago!

Hi,

I have bladder pains too, since few weeks, but no inflammation and I have lines in my thumb nails since myna years- are this also the symptoms of GI?

I'm happy that my stomach problems are gone only after 10 days on a diet! No gases anymore, no bloated belly, no pains after every meal, almost no heart burn anymore and I feel slightly stronger, having more energy. I started again with yoga and with walking, which is so good!

I wish that my mental problems will get better too and that my libido returns...

KiwiBrit Rookie

Im almost 6 weeks gluten-free. I can finally DRIVE!!! The dizzyness is gone.

:)

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I have a brain. I have stamina.

I DON'T HAVE A RASH!!!!!!

My hair stopped falling out.

I don't have headaches, migraines.

I don't feel like I'm stroking the furry wall anymore!

kendon0015 Rookie

My nails are not peeling anymore....after 6 months gluten free.

Sarah P Rookie

I am only a week totally gluten free. I still have pain, but my acne is cleared up! I have had the worst skin my whole life. At 30 I really thought I shouldn't have it anymore, and guess what I don't. Wooohooo!

Jenniferxgfx Contributor

First and foremost, I have my BRAIN back. I feel like sleeping beauty woke up... Like the last several years were a blur. I am a scientist again!

And vainly: I have great hair and nails and skin! A lifetime of really bad skin, hair like straw that won't grow, and nails that won't grow-- and now they all feel foreign. It's nice and they're all lovely, but I feel like sleeping beauty who woke up in a new body!

But I can't talk about my brain enough. It's so nice to think straight again and have a little better grasp on the world around me. I love thinking! Lol

espresso261 Rookie

Pre-diagnosis, I only consumed large amounts of gluten when i was outside of my normal routine (the weekend, vacations, holidays, out to eat for special occasions). During the week, i ate "healthy" which really only included gluten from my cereal or hidden forms (never had pasta, sandwiches, cake etc). after years of feeling horrible after going out or traveling or being at my parents for holidays, i started avoiding social situations all together. or planning them way in advance and in isolated times (ie "i'm going on a date on saturday, so i can't go out to eat or do anything else involving being outside my healthy food routine on friday or at all the week before). i thought it was salt or just that it was normal for my body to not tolerate "unhealthy" food. it was depressing not participating in social events and always having to come up with excuses of why i couldn't do things (knowing that "i'll be bloated, not fit in my clothes, exhausted and have severe body aches after" is not the excuse people like to hear when they invite you out...since i didn't know for sure what it was, i assumed the symptoms were my imagination).

its so nice knowing that the symptoms were not in my imagination and that i don't have to avoid social situations anymore, i just have to avoid gluten! (and although i know salt is not good for you, i'm ecstatic that i can actually have salty foods or put salt on foods sometimes now. i avoided it for 10 years!)

wheeleezdryver Community Regular

Hi,

I have bladder pains too, since few weeks, but no inflammation and I have lines in my thumb nails since myna years- are this also the symptoms of GI?

I'm happy that my stomach problems are gone only after 10 days on a diet! No gases anymore, no bloated belly, no pains after every meal, almost no heart burn anymore and I feel slightly stronger, having more energy. I started again with yoga and with walking, which is so good!

I wish that my mental problems will get better too and that my libido returns...

i'm not the greatest one to explain this, but yes, booth bladder issues and nail problems can be indicators of GI issues/ celiac/ other health issues. (if anyone else can explain this better than me, feel free to do so!)

Most of what i've learned, I learned from reading this forum over the last 1 1/2 years.

When theres gut damage, like celiac, there are microscopic holes in the gut-- well, things get through those holes, and go throughout the rest of the body, and sometimes cause damage to other organs, like the bladder.

A lot of autoimmune diseases are interrelated (including Interstitial Cystitis, aka PainFul bladder Syndrome)And can be related to Celiac Disease/ gluten intolerance.

and sometimes, nail issues can be an indicator of an issue going on elsewhere in the body. Like thyroid problems or malabsorption.

cahill Collaborator

One of the wonderful things about eating gluten free;

When a coworker that knows I am gluten free "forgets" and offers me a Krispy Kream doughnut and I am not even tempted .I say no thank you and the look on his face is priceless and then he "remembers" and we have a good laugh. :lol:

What is wonderful about that is 2 years ago it would have not been possible. :D It would have been a traumatic and painful experience.

Archived