This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Much Food Is Enough?

rain

rain Contributor

I gained about 6 pounds 8 months prior to going gluten free. My body was getting really sick then, and then much worse after going gluten free. Many of the symptoms have now lifted - not all though and one of them is this weight gain.

I do not want to diet because my weight was basically the same for 20 years prior to this weight gain. I want to understand how to eat. Before my eating habits were crazy - chronic hunger & small appetite made eating complicated. Now I do experience hunger and satiation which I appreciate.

My frustration is that I don't think I eat that much. Maybe that is normal? I don't exercise as much as I used to because of a long commute but I don't want to depend on exercise for this weight loss because I suspect that's not the issue.

I'm finding that if I eat a small salad for dinner my weight lowers but if I eat a normal size meal - I didn't cook so it was a crazy combination last night: corn chips (snack while heating food), 2 c okra, beans and onion w tablespoon yoghurt, 2 pieces udi toast - I am 2 pounds heavier this morning. How is the meal I described TOO much food?? I'm guessing thats 600 calories. I think all day I ate maybe 1500 calories. But maybe I'm completely wrong?

I did try putting more meat in my diet but I'm not a meat eater and my body smell and feel was weird.

Thanks for listening! I really appreciate your help!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dilettantesteph Collaborator

That sounds like a big meal to me. You may be underestimating your caloric intake. You could try to measure things carefully and look up caloric content of foods and keep an accurate account. You may find that you are eating more calories than you think you are. Don't forget drinks.

I don't know your age. As we age an especially if we exercise less, we need fewer calories.

It is also possible that now that you intestines are healed, you need less food because your body is digesting what you eat. Before diagnosis I could eat anything and stay skinny since everything went right through me.

Jestgar Rising Star

- I am 2 pounds heavier this morning.

All that you're weighing is the change in the volume of food left in your digestive tract. If, after a week, you're still up two pounds, then it's truly part of your body.

• 2 weeks later...
Reba32 Rookie

2 pounds is not very likely added body fat, and more likely water retention. Drink more water.

Weight will also fluctuate madly for women during the menstrual cycle. Weight gain anywhere from 2 to 10 pounds is not unheard of. Frustrating, but not much we can do about it.

I'd suggest that you're not eating enough, and not regularly enough for your body to balance itself out. You *can* gain weight by starving yourself, because anything you do eat will be stored as body fat because your body thinks there's a famine, and it needs to store the fuel you're giving it only occasionally.

Plus, I don't see nearly enough protein and fats to be healthy. Your body needs both on a regular basis in order to keep going. Your muscles need protein, and your brain and body need fats for fuel. Which yes, is totally opposite of current thinking, but ask your Grandparents what they used to eat as kids, and I'll bet manufactured processed snack foods and sugary soft drinks don't factor in! Whole, natural foods, including healthy fats, proteins, and controlled carbohydrates. Eat several times per day, 5 to 6 "meals", rather than only 3 times per day. Eat breakfast within 30 minutes of waking. And drink at least 2 litres of fluids per day (clear water, tea, coffee). Limit fruit juice and pop/soda to never, or just occasionally. They're just sugar. If you want fruit, eat a whole fruit. That way you'll also have the benefit of the fiber to help the sugars to be properly metabolized. Lower sugar "fruits" are best though, like berries or cantaloupe.

Archived