This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Relieved Of Celiac?

alicewa

alicewa Contributor

Then there's the celiac vaccine coming out. I really don't want to follow this gluten free diet if I don't have to. If there's anything I've suggested above that you think may work, then please let me know. Dr Wise's gluten relief seems to be a good solution but I never heard of it before I saw a video on it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

At this point all those things are just snake oil. The only 'cure' is to follow a strict gluten-free diet.

Takala Enthusiast

If you believe in the potential of "mind power" then the ability to make yourself want and enjoy a gluten free diet is there.

Nirvana ain't a Subway sandwich, and there are no magical over the counter pills that counter the auto immune reaction.

lovegrov Collaborator

It's bull.

Richard

IrishHeart Veteran

Sorry, kiddo.

A gluten free diet is the only known, proven treatment to control/stop the disease process.

If someone came up with a legitimate, real "cure"---it would be front page news. :)

You may wish to read up on Celiac Disease so you completely understand the autoimmune reaction--- and why "mind control" and other fake cures will never work.

Best wishes!

alicewa Contributor

If I remember correctly, Dr. Rodney Ford says celiacs is a disease of the brain and not the gut.

That was perhaps why I thought mind power may work. Thinking more deeply about it though, it seems unlikely.

IrishHeart Veteran

If I remember correctly, Dr. Rodney Ford says celiacs is a disease of the brain and not the gut.

That was perhaps why I thought mind power may work. Thinking more deeply about it though, it seems unlikely.

ahh......NO. That is totally incorrect. I believe Dr. Ford contends that gluten damages the gut, brain and nerves. (which it does)

https://www.celiac.com/authors/43/Dr.-Rodney-Ford-M.D.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ElseB Contributor

Her dad presented a testimonial to this case and she ate a subway sandwich and felt fine afterwards whereas previous to the therapy she got extremely sick.

Also remember that just because someone feels fine after eating gluten doesn't mean that internal damage isn't being done. What matters is the effect on the villi and not how someone feels.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Celiac is an autoimmune disease that can impact the entire body. Mind power will certainly not work against celiac any more than it would work against MS, cancer or any other disease.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Also heard of some people being cured through their mind power. Dr Raffael Panjaj (I think that was his name) supposedly went to sydney, australia in 2006 and cured a lady of the ailment. Her dad presented a testimonial to this case and she ate a subway sandwich and felt fine afterwards whereas previous to the therapy she got extremely sick.

A mice experiment seemed to show some evidence of a treatment plan for celiac disease as well but again I'd have to look more into it.

Then there's the celiac vaccine coming out. I really don't want to follow this gluten free diet if I don't have to.

The only treatment for celiac is a gluten free diet. While that young lady may have felt fine after eating the sandwich you have to keep in mind that for one thing there is silent celiac and for another it can take up to a week for the reaction to hit. The diet isn't that bad and it will prevent lots of stuff from happening down the road. Not the least of which is miscarriage and the inability to get pregnant if you should want to have a child.

GFinDC Veteran

You can bet if there were a real cure for celiac disease that the people on this board would be all over it. Lots of things are promoted for the simple reason that they make money for the people promoting them or someone they are behind the scenes connected to. Claims made for supplements are not regulated by the FDA and supplement manufacturers in the USA do not have to prove their claims. This situation has a good side and a bad side. New products can get to the market quickly with this system with minimal red-tape. Also new snake oil can get to the market quickly with minimal or no red tape. Anybody can write something and put it on the WWW, but that doesn't make it true.

Roda Rising Star

All of those things are complete bunk. We have a new health food store and I went in looking for some gluten free items. The lady at the desk started telling me about another customer that was able to "cure" her celiac through a doctor just over the mountain from me. She wanted to know if I wanted the info. I respectly declined, telling her the only cure for celic is following a gluten free diet and I was content doing what I was doing. There are people everywhere that try to promote anything to make a quick buck. That is all those products are doing is giving false hope while smiling on the way to the bank!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

One half of me tells me it's too good to be true but the other seems to be urging me to try something. :unsure:

The half of you who is saying it is too good to be true is the half that is right. You are very early into diagnosis and it is not uncommon for people to 'grasp at straws' at first. Unfortunately there is not treatment or cure for celiac other than the diet followed strictly. Even stuff that might ease the GI discomfort isn't going to stop the autoimmune process. I wish I could tell you that a 'cure' is around the corner but it just isn't.

GlutenDude Newbie

People will do anything for a buck and leading the way is taking advantage of someone's susceptibility. We want to be cured, so therefore there must be a cure out there if we just look hard enough. Sorry...ain't gonna happen.

Roda Rising Star

Where abouts was this area where she was cured? Did the person at your health food store respond well to what you said?

The "supposed person" was around the Asheville, NC area. I didn't buy into it at all. The lady still tried to convince me, but after I got "firm" with my stance on the subject, she stopped. I very rarely go there anymore. The also opened up a vegetarian restaruant beside it that offers gluten free also. I'm hesitant on trying it because of the general attitude plus their menu wasn't all that impressive.

bigbird16 Apprentice

Ah, if only there was a pill or a mind trick! :) None of us would choose to live this way if we didn't have to. If I could never worry again about what goes into my mouth, what has been left on the counter or keyboard or door handle by coworkers, what my little niece has stuck to to her sweet little hands and face, what the waiter at a restaurant understands and does when I say, "Please do not put bread on my plate;" if I could chow down at a wedding or party or dinner date just like everyone else; if I didn't have to go through the whole spiel about no I can't pick the ham off a deli sandwich and yes pasta contains wheat every single time I see my mom; if I could in the heat of the moment kiss a guy; if I could fill my kitchen with beautiful home-baked cookies and cakes again that people wouldn't eye with suspicion before downing and then deciding they weren't poison after all -- I would in a heartbeat. (It's taken me three years to get to the point where I finally want to decorate cakes again -- all gluten-, dairy-, and soy-free, of course; I started making gumpaste flowers for my birthday cake last night. They're so ugly! lol) No pill, no biofeedback, no acupuncture, no quantum healing, no nothing other than following a strict gluten-free diet forever will stop this disease. Read all of the real research from Celiac experts (like Dr. Fasano, etc.) and stay up to date on news and breakthroughs from reliable Celiac news sites (like Celiac.com, Celiac Disease Foundation, etc.). A real cure will scream loud and clear like a fire engine in the dead of night once it's found; it will not lurk. There are a lot of crackpots out there who will prey on people who are desperate for normalcy. The good news is that humans are good at adapting, and whatever change you make will eventually become your normal.

alicewa Contributor

The "supposed person" was around the Asheville, NC area. I didn't buy into it at all. The lady still tried to convince me, but after I got "firm" with my stance on the subject, she stopped. I very rarely go there anymore. The also opened up a vegetarian restaruant beside it that offers gluten free also. I'm hesitant on trying it because of the general attitude plus their menu wasn't all that impressive.

Ok so it seems like the ones I mentioned aren't all.

Someone should make a web page and list all the 'celiac cure' scams they can find on this page and tell people to add more to the page as they find them perhaps. :unsure:

Ah, if only there was a pill or a mind trick! :) None of us would choose to live this way if we didn't have to. If I could never worry again about what goes into my mouth, what has been left on the counter or keyboard or door handle by coworkers, what my little niece has stuck to to her sweet little hands and face, what the waiter at a restaurant understands and does when I say, "Please do not put bread on my plate;" if I could chow down at a wedding or party or dinner date just like everyone else; if I didn't have to go through the whole spiel about no I can't pick the ham off a deli sandwich and yes pasta contains wheat every single time I see my mom; if I could in the heat of the moment kiss a guy; if I could fill my kitchen with beautiful home-baked cookies and cakes again that people wouldn't eye with suspicion before downing and then deciding they weren't poison after all -- I would in a heartbeat. (It's taken me three years to get to the point where I finally want to decorate cakes again -- all gluten-, dairy-, and soy-free, of course; I started making gumpaste flowers for my birthday cake last night. They're so ugly! lol) No pill, no biofeedback, no acupuncture, no quantum healing, no nothing other than following a strict gluten-free diet forever will stop this disease. Read all of the real research from Celiac experts (like Dr. Fasano, etc.) and stay up to date on news and breakthroughs from reliable Celiac news sites (like Celiac.com, Celiac Disease Foundation, etc.). A real cure will scream loud and clear like a fire engine in the dead of night once it's found; it will not lurk. There are a lot of crackpots out there who will prey on people who are desperate for normalcy. The good news is that humans are good at adapting, and whatever change you make will eventually become your normal.

Thanks for the assurance. I loved how you went on and on with the 'ifs'. :D

I'm afraid to say that IF all of my 'ifs' were really true wishes, I can be pretty certain I'd have fallen for it too.

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Alice,

Yes, the testing for approvals of new drugs is expensive and time consuming too. And it is well worth while for people who really think they have a product that will sell like hotcakes, for instance a celiac disease cure. There is lots of money to be made on cures and snake oil too. It makes sense to do research on the celiac condition and try to learn what treatment's are available. Lots of times somebody on this site will have tried the treatment or know something about it.

You can also find lots of research info and papers by doing a web search for the topic. For instance a search on "soy rat intestine" or "soy infant thyroid" could be interesting. Or "celiac associated condition" or "celiac related condition" is interesting. Also "top eight food allergens" is good. There's lots of educational info out there for the reading. Sometimes we have to do the digging for it ourselves is all. It sure is a learning experience being told you have celiac. :D

Archived