This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Purposely Glutened

glutenfreemamax2

glutenfreemamax2 Enthusiast

Anyone have thoes few things that you can't resist? My dh brought dunkin donuts munchkins for the kids. When no one was looking I ate like 5. them after dinner no one was around and I found nutter butter cookies stashed. I had 8 :-(. Now I'm having gi symptoms as well as neurological. And sleep- forget it. It was so not worth it in retrospect, but at the time it tasted so good.

Anyone have thoes things you can't resist, no matter how sick they make you?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

So far, no.

My rash (or lack of it now) keeps me on the straight and narrow.

I can understand the desire to indulge now and then if you can't see or feel the damage...human nature I guess.

My skin rash and neuro symptoms are so severe I'm just not tempted.

sa1937 Community Regular

I don't have the slightest inclination to make myself deathly ill by eating something for which I know I'll pay a severe price.

GlutenDude Newbie

We must have different diseases. I have celiac disease. If I eat 5 munchkins, I am out of commission for months and am doing severe damage to my body. Heck, if I eat one munchkin, I'm in serious trouble. What is possibly worth that?

lucky28 Explorer

So far I haven't (only been diagnosed since august) but I have had my first gluten dream-I ate a big fat dinner roll! But seriously, I made myself so sick the last few weeks before my biopsy that I can still remember and avoid (purposely)glutening myself. Also I know what I crave-brownies- and it is almost the only "gluten free" product I make sure I have on hand for just such emergencies! I heard kinni(sp?) makes a couple good gluten-free donuts, they are frozen so maybe you can keep an emergency stash available at all times too!

rainer83 Newbie

I used to indulge once in a while, because I could eat cereal all day every day, and I'd eat a bowl of Mini Wheats or Special K Vanilla Almond, or even Golden Grahams, but the pain was too much to deal with eventually that I gave it all up 100%. Now, I'm not even tempted anymore. I remember the pain and it's enough of a reminder to stay away.

Except for when I have dreams I eat things I can't. My subconscious can be so cruel.

If it weren't for gluten free Chex cereal coming to Canada, I'd still be going bonkers.

love2travel Mentor

Although I did not get sick from eating gluten before my celiac diagnosis, I still refused to touch it (and still do) and always will. So, no, I have never done this because if I did and did not get sick I may find myself slacking a bit. Not only that but I need my villi to be strong and healthy. Plus the thought of potential future problems keeps me on a straight path.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jenniferxgfx Contributor

Hell no. I lost my career due to celiac and my personal life has suffered greatly, too, not even considering the terrible reactions I have to cc. When I look at known gluten culprits, all I see is poison and suffering and loss.

I grew up on dunkin donuts, and their taste isn't worth what I've lost.

Hope you feel better soon.

espresso261 Rookie

I've been gluten free for about 6 weeks... prior to this, I would get a starbucks java chip light frap about 5 times a week. It was my one guilty pleasure. i travel for work (no office, so i would go to starbucks to get my work done and didn't mind working extra hours because i could have my treat). i have driven 45 minutes out of my way on more than one occasion to get it. i've had 2 in one day before. they never made me sick. i've never been a smoker, but i think my addiction to them/pleasure they provided! has to be similar to omeone addicted to cigarettes. i haven't had any since i was diagnosed and today i really, really, really wanted one. i'm afraid if i have one and don't get sick, i'll start to make exceptions (knowing that internal damage is occuring, but not feeling any symptoms). why can't starbucks make this drink gluten free? it can't be that hard :(

kareng Grand Master

I've been gluten free for about 6 weeks... prior to this, I would get a starbucks java chip light frap about 5 times a week. It was my one guilty pleasure. i travel for work (no office, so i would go to starbucks to get my work done and didn't mind working extra hours because i could have my treat). i have driven 45 minutes out of my way on more than one occasion to get it. i've had 2 in one day before. they never made me Ihaven't had any since i was diagnosed and today i really, really, really wanted one. i'm afraid if i have one and don't get sick, i'll start to make exceptions (knowing that internal damage is occuring, but not feeling any symptoms). why can't starbucks make this drink gluten free? it can't be that hard :(

I saw something saying that Starbucks was going to a light Frap mix that was gluten-free. I cannot find where I saw this. I didn't repost because I think it was a response to someone elses inquiry so I can't verify. Maybe you would like to email Starbucks. In the US, they don't want to say anything is gluten free but they seemed to say it had no gluten ingredients.

Edited to add: post a copy of the response, please.

annegirl Explorer

OMG. I'm still sick almost 4 weeks later from a tiny crumb of crouton in my salad. I really hope your symptoms don't last long! That was some serious glutening!

I would definitely find a guilty pleasure that is gluten free for emergencies next time! :) There are some awesome donut recipes out there that are gluten-free.

navigator Apprentice

I've been back on gluten for 5 weeks now and get my scope and biopsy two weeks today. I can't wait to go back gluten free and re-start the healing process. The fatigue, joint aches,bloating, gas, anxiety,stomach and bowel issues and the concern about long term damage - once I've had my scope you couldn't pay me to eat gluten!

Roda Rising Star

No desire to cheet. I would be so sick and couldn't function.

glutenfreemamax2 Enthusiast

I get different symptoms every Tim I consume or cc. This time from all that I have horrible constipation, increase of mucus(sinus issues) sleep problems, bloating and gas. I am seeing flashers in my line of vision. Yesterday I had a horrible burning/ gnawing at the top of my stomach and really bad reflux also.

I was cc on sat night at a restaurant and I lost feeling in my toes.

How come I react differently everytime I consume gluten?

I didn't get really sick this time.

Reba32 Rookie

nope, I can't say that there is anything on this entire planet that I would just have to eat, and then suffer the agonizing pain for days or weeks afterward. Nope Nope Nope.

Poppi Enthusiast

I've had fantasies about having 1 gluten binge day and just dealing with the fallout but I don't think I'll ever do it.

I have to say though, if I was going to eat gluten it sure wouldn't be donuts or cookies, I can make perfectly good gluten-free versions of those.

I fantasize about croissants, fresh baguette with melty brie, sourdough bread dripping with butter and homemade strawberry jam, going out for dinner with friends and ordering anything I want off the menu... but even those things are not worth the pain and suffering they would cause. I deserve better and my family deserves better.

cougie23 Explorer

Anyone have thoes few things that you can't resist? My dh brought dunkin donuts munchkins for the kids. When no one was looking I ate like 5. them after dinner no one was around and I found nutter butter cookies stashed. I had 8 :-(. Now I'm having gi symptoms as well as neurological. And sleep- forget it. It was so not worth it in retrospect, but at the time it tasted so good.

Anyone have thoes things you can't resist, no matter how sick they make you?

When I was first diagnosed...I didn't REALLY understand what this ment! I've had this since I was in grade school and we never knew all my verious problems in my life were conected...untill recently...I'm 47 now.So I figured It was more like an allergy...and could be treated that way... If I gradualy cut back instead of cold turkey, it would be ok! HA!!!!.....I have learned soooooooooo much in such a short time....now I recognise

every reaction for what it really is...The ataxia..the migraines..the 9 month pregnent looking stomache out of nowhere!The diarea, constapation,nausia, severe brain fog , fainting, tremors,loss of feeling in body parts,stuttering out of nowhere....to name a few...the list is pages long! But in the begining...I thought just ONE more sandwich...what can it hurt....OMG (I had hit the gluten saturation point after years of gluten abuse...sort of that point when the body goes diabetic...only celiac!!!)

That was a HUGE mistake......Every spot on my ENTIRE BODY ITCHED!!!! My gums itched, my teeth itched, my eyeballs, fingers, scalp, toes, EVERYTHING ...I was scratching like a mad man!!! THEN the 3 weeks of severe pain...my entire intestinal track had the sensation of bee stingers (I later found out this was HIVES), diarea..brain fog,(I'd stop mid sentence and forget what I was talking about)...The pain in my arms ,hands, and legs was horrible...all from one sandwich...! But it was almost like I couldn't acept it and when I started to feel better...I caved in and had a whopper junior...because I was famished..and was out and had the option of that or waiting another two hours before I could eat (I was with my father and son, my dad was allready there and offered)...another painfull experiance! The last time I cheated was after the 3rd giant cosco pumpkin pie my family brought home(that I wasn't allowed to have) and I just couldn't stand it anymore!!!

I want everyone reading this to realize that despite the severe consecences...Its sort of like the rat in the maze shock treatment!It takes the rat a few times before he puts two and two together and stops trying to eat the cheese/ wheat,I think these cravings are our bodys way of BREAKING the habit!....some times our deseise is hard to MENTELY acept at first....There is an addictive quality for some of us in this aspect..and despite the pain...it takes a few times to burn your hand on the stove so to speak...before SOME of us REALLY get it!!! I never REALLY understood the vast EFFECT this had on my body untill AFTER I did my research and was ARMED with KNOWLAGE so that when I WAS severely gluttened I could TRULY understand EXACTLY what I was doing to myself! Like I said OMG!!!! I had no IDEA...I was trully playing with fire eating those things...and there was times I thought my stomache was going to just stop working and my food was going to rot there I was so sick...I had no Idea!!! BUT I DO NOW!!!! Lesson LEARNED...FINALLY!!!!!!!

beebs Enthusiast

I really believe if I had mild or no symptoms I would not be able to keep gluten free, I'd be falling off the wagon all over the place. I miss so many things. But last time I purposely at gluten I ended up in ER. I really felt like I was going to die due to intussusception.

God I miss gluten :P

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Oh my God NO, there would be no way.... ever...

Traces give me a severe reaction and I don't feel well for weeks like others have said.

As for getting different reactions...that is the nature of Celiac Disease...it changes and effects different systems at different times and to varying degrees. This is why people have such a hard time getting diagnosed. It is called the Great Mimic...because it can give so many symptoms and resemble so many different diseases. It probably has to do with antibody levels in your body and which part of the intestine is attacked...and what vitamins are not being absorbed at the time. Just my guesses...I don't think research has advanced to the stage where they can tell you why you get different symptoms at different times of glutening...but the one universal is that it is very bad for your body, your mind, (if you get neurological symptoms) and your health.

I cringe when I see other's eat gluten...so no, no cheating here thank you. I lost my career and marriage to the lowly grain of wheat and just the thought of it makes me nauseous. I hope you can find a treat that will not make you sick.

bartfull Rising Star

I crave bread. Because I am also corn intolerant, and now it seems almonds bother me too, I have not been able to find bread that doesn't bother me. The last time I TRIED bread, it was one I know was gluten free, and even though I didn't see anything in the ingredients list that looked like corn or almonds, there was something (probably corn cross contamination) that did me in. I was so sick that I have vowed to never try bread of any kind again. EVER.

Come to think of it, I'm done trying ANY new foods. I will NEVER go through that again!!Horrible pain, three hours of broken sleep a night, psoriasis got so bad again that I couldn't play guitar (and that's what I do for a living), AND, new digestive symptoms (pain in my stomach) that I never USED to get.

I have determined that chicken, beef, pork, Yukon Gold potatoes, broccoli and cauliflower, are the ONLY foods I am confident I can eat. Even my brown rice doesn't seem to work for me anymore, and most vegetables I either don't like, or they bother me. And that's fine with me. I don't care what it tastes like anymore. As long as I'm getting the necessary nutrition, I'm fine.

I'm even taking a bowl of baked potato, chicken, and broccoli to Thanksgiving this year. It's the PEOPLE I will be sharing the day with that matter. Who cares about the food?

jerseyangel Proficient

Been gluten-free for 6 years, 4 months. Never cheated--too afraid of the consequences. I was very ill before diagnosis and react badly to accidental cross contamination, so it's easy for me to resist.

AVR1962 Collaborator

If it did not give me the symptoms I have, I would probably cheat. One crumb of bread can make me dizzy (among other symptoms) for 3+ weeks. I cannot even imagine what a full donut might do to me. So no, my goal is to have gluten never again and I am really really trying to make it that way.

BeFree Contributor

No desire to cheat...it's more like the other way around, I'm a little paranoid of accidentally eating anything with gluten. The pain I had from my last big reaction was horrendous. This is nature's way of making SURE that we don't continue to eat what's bad for our bodies!

It's like those people who are alcoholics and they take that pill that makes them so sick when they drink that they never want to drink again? Yeah, kinda like that.

violentlyserene Rookie

I've been staring at frozen eggrolls for weeks. Fortunately, I'd have to actually get to the register and home and by then, rationality would take over. KFC really does a number on me too. I'd swear the boxes were talking to me. The only thing that I can't resist is Wendy's chilli. I love it and while it's technically gluten free, the variety of possible problems with that don't matter.

desert rose Newbie

Ive been gluten free for nearly two years and I would never consider eating gluten no matter what it was. Nothing is worth the symptoms. Hope you feel better soon.

Archived