This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Outback Steakhouse

viviendoparajesus

viviendoparajesus Apprentice

I ate at Outback Steakhouse for the first time ever. I do not think I had been there even before being diagnosed and going gluten-free. I went there because of their free steak promotion. I asked about how I could have my steak done and not have to worry about CC. The waitress brought me out a gluten free menu. :o I never had a special menu before at any restaurant. gluten-free stuff was either on the regular menu or they were like gluten-free what is that :huh: or what is the big deal about gluten-free. so not only was there a special gluten-free menu so we could all save ourselves a lot of time and trouble and disappointment but it also included instructions on how to order things and options. i was impressed. the server was so sweet and helpful. the food was good. the challenge was my other food issues that are not so mainstream. but yay for progress in the gluten-free arena. :D best wishes in ur dinning endeavors and hope u have a good experience if you try outback.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

I love getting ribs at Outback. I can never be sure about barbecue anywhere else so it's a treat. B) The gluten-free brownie dessert with ice cream is also excellent.

lovegrov Collaborator

I love getting ribs at Outback. I can never be sure about barbecue anywhere else so it's a treat. B) The gluten-free brownie dessert with ice cream is also excellent.

You should talk to folks at other places. The VAST majority of BBQ I've found has been gluten-free.

richard

Diane-in-FL Explorer

I had a good experience at Outback, too. I was pleasantly surprised by how many things are on their gluten-free menu.

Skylark Collaborator

You should talk to folks at other places. The VAST majority of BBQ I've found has been gluten-free.

richard

You run across people who can actually tell you what's in the sauce? I've not been that lucky. :(

Menic Apprentice

While driving across the midwest/east on vacation this summer, I actually wound up getting Outback carry out twice, simply because I knew they had a separate gluten-free menu and were on their game. They're one of the better chains of mid-level dining across the country. I've been impressed.

srall Contributor

I never ate at Outback until my daughter and I were gluten free. Now it's our go to place on the road. We have only had good experiences with Outback. The wait staff has always been very helpful and knowledgeable about celiac and gluten free. It's very comforting to have one place on the road we can trust.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

anabananakins Explorer

I love having my own special menu at Outback. I've been to other restaurants where you get a list you can cross check against the regular menu and while it's good to have the info, it can be quite confusing. Outback is easy.

I used to mock the place - I'm australian and it is not at all an australian-style restaurant. We go there for the north american style food and service! :lol: But I really appreciate their efforts gluten-free wise, even if the food names etc are totally crazy.

sariesue Explorer

I love having my own special menu at Outback. I've been to other restaurants where you get a list you can cross check against the regular menu and while it's good to have the info, it can be quite confusing. Outback is easy.

I used to mock the place - I'm australian and it is not at all an australian-style restaurant. We go there for the north american style food and service! :lol: But I really appreciate their efforts gluten-free wise, even if the food names etc are totally crazy.

Aww you mean that I spread lies at work? You don't really drink frozen peach drinks named after the wallaby? From the stand point of the server at Outback, the gluten free menu is actually quite confusing. Since the gluten free menu is just the normal menu with the substitutions listed to make the meal gluten free. Like, the rack of lamb is gluten free as long as you don't have the cabernet sauce and no seasoning on the veggies. BUT it is listed on both menus with the same name. So sometimes there is confusion when people are not clear that they need a gluten free meal since the menus are made out of the same paper and design as the normal menu and people aren't always holding their menus when they order. It would be nice if the gluten free items had a different name.

Skylark Collaborator

I'm glad I've always specifically mentioned I'm ordering gluten-free.

I hadn't thought how confusing that menu could be for servers. From my point of view it gives me a sense of safety. If I'm eating the ONLY ribs Outback makes I know that my plate of ribs can't be inadvertently switched for a different kind of ribs with gluten.

jerseyangel Proficient

I love Outback--been to several in different states and never a problem. Their Victoria's Filet is my all time favorite steak.

anabananakins Explorer

Aww you mean that I spread lies at work? You don't really drink frozen peach drinks named after the wallaby? From the stand point of the server at Outback, the gluten free menu is actually quite confusing. Since the gluten free menu is just the normal menu with the substitutions listed to make the meal gluten free. Like, the rack of lamb is gluten free as long as you don't have the cabernet sauce and no seasoning on the veggies. BUT it is listed on both menus with the same name. So sometimes there is confusion when people are not clear that they need a gluten free meal since the menus are made out of the same paper and design as the normal menu and people aren't always holding their menus when they order. It would be nice if the gluten free items had a different name.

Hee. Sorry, we don't :lol:

Intersting that the menus are made out of the same paper and design - in Australia (or at least, at the one I eat at), it's totally different. Much smaller and the pages are laminated and bound on the top, so it's a little flip book. It looks like a baby book - the little sister gets jealous ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Cathey Apprentice

Oh, thank you for the brownie comment. I live 5 minutes away from OB and never been there. Well 2 more weeks of lactose free and I'm headed for a Chocolate from Down Under Brownie for lunch. Can't wait. Thanks again

Archived