This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pg, Gluten Free & Rash Is Worse

trakaye

trakaye Newbie

Hi- I am new to this forum. I am currently 10.5 weeks pregnant. I have had a rash on the back side of my hands for a couple years now. When I got pregnant the rash became increasingly worse. The last 2 weeks it has gone from being on the backs of my hands to both my ears, both thighs, around both knees, up my arms and both butt cheeks. Last Thursday I seen a naturopath and she is pretty sure that I have a gluten rash. She put me on a dairy and gluten free diet. Since I went on the diet my rash has spread and is more itchy. I did eat more tomatoes, sugar, and gluten free chips for the first three days on diet. I ommited tomatoes and salty store bought items from my diet and cut down on sugar.(it has been 2 days) My rash is still itchy and bothersome. If I am celiac and have dh how long will it take before I see any results of my rash getting better? Is it normal after quitting gluten for rash to get worse?

Thanks,

Tracie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I don't know what normal is anymore.

If it's DH going on a low iodine should short circuit the rash - google "thyca". It should be safe for pregnancy, but ask your practitioner. You should see the rash improve quickly if it is DH if you decrease iodine. You can add back iodine slowly if there are concerns because of pregnancy. It is not a long term solution for anyone.

To relieve symptoms, moisturize the rash - I like Vanicream. Also, ice packs help with itching.

Good luck and congratulations!

trakaye Newbie

Thank you, we are really excited for our third! Thank you for your advice I found thyca to be really helpful. Hoping to get this skin rash under control.

Archived