This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Only Symptom Is The Big D, So

knowledgeispower

knowledgeispower Newbie

Will I still have to remove all traces of gluten from my diet, even very small ones? Why don't I have the symptoms described in a lot of these posts?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kendon0015 Rookie

PLEASE get a stool test, it may be something else. I made that mistake, and 6 months later did something about it and I'm currently being treated for C Diff, a "lovely" intestinal bacterial infection. I have to admit, I do feel much better having been gluten free all this time. Last week, my celiac panel came back negative, of course.

knowledgeispower Newbie

Thanks for your reply, kendon. I did have that done already, and all the necessary blood tests to rule out other things. Next in line is another colonoscopy, which I just had three years ago for my first routine check for cancer. The only other thing she will test for is a bacteria I could have picked up in Mexico, but it's not likely because she seems so sure it's celiac. I feel overwhelmed at the prospect of watching every little drop I eat, including buying bulk because it could be contaminated also from a previous gluten product.

It's good that what you really have can be treated and gotten rid of. Actually, after reading

about gluten, I probably would cut a lot out of my diet at this point anyway, but it's a little inconvenient to watch so carefully, and gluten free doesn't always taste good, like bread for instance.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

BrittanyH
    Newest Member
    BrittanyH
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• shadycharacter
      Fermentation breaks down some of the gluten in wheat. Nowhere enough for a wheat dough to become gluten free, but the gluten may be significantly reduced. I think some pizzerias make the dough the day before and leave it overnight. The longer the microbes are acting on the flour, the better.
    • trents
      And the fact is, no two celiacs will necessarily respond the same to gluten exposure. Some are "silent" celiacs and don't experience obvious symptoms. But that doesn't mean no harm is being done to their gut. It just means it is subclinical. 
    • AlyO
      Thank you, Trents.  I appreciate your helpful and friendly reply. It seems more likely to be a bug.  It has been a pretty severe bought. I feel that I don’t have enough experience to know what signs my little one shows after exposure to gluten. 
    • trents
      Hannah24, be aware that if you are on a gluten free diet, you will invalidate any further testing for celiac disease (except genetics) and would need to go back to eating significant amounts of gluten for weeks or months to qualify for valid testing.
    • knitty kitty
      Hello, @Hannah24 Have you had a DNA test done?  Celiac Disease is genetic.  You must have at least one gene to develop celiac disease.  You don't have to be consuming gluten for a genetic test.   Anemia, diabetes and thiamine deficiency can cause false negatives.  Some lucky people are seronegative, but still have celiac disease.  Peripheral neuropathy, tingling in hands and feet are symptoms of vitamin deficiencies.  Vitamin C, Thiamine B1, Niacin B3, Pyridoxine B6, and Cobalamine B12 can each cause peripheral neuropathy.  These same vitamins are needed to produce blood cells.  Most undiagnosed Celiacs suffer from nutritional deficiencies. The DNA test would be helpful.